and on the seventh day the lord said, "let there be matte white" - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
TSLMember

and on the seventh day the lord said, "let there be matte white"

hopefully finished on friday when I get back up to the shop, but for now, a little preview.

I do realize how retarded I look driving around with the sides silver, but I was beat dead after working the day and then doing this.

Why yes, that is a Chive sticker on the window, KCCO!

The hood is a 3M Carbon Fiber, actually has a little texture to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Svenska94Aero
Mmmmmm sexehh.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Looks good. Thinking about a matte red wrap for my vert. I've never wrapped before, how big of a bitch is it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
did you ever think about the cf wrap in the matte white instead of black?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
TSLMember

@seriks1
Well, I've been doing wraps for about 6 years so it wasn't much of a bitch for me. Bumpers are always the toughest part, but in all honesty, if you have no experience with vinyl then yea, it's gunna be a real bitch. I know some people will tackle just the hood or roof, but once you get to the non flat surfaces like the sides and bumpers, if you don't want to waste a shit ton of vinyl doing it over and over until it looks good, then I would avoid it.

Then again, if you have the time, and a massive amount of vinyl, and skills with an xacto blade, and clean garage with wrapping tools, go for it. It will definitely save you some money. It really just depends on your patience I guess.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
TSLMember

@soccerrplyr

I had the vinyl to do it for about 3 years, I never measured it out or anything so when I finally went to do the wrap I found out I didn't have enough to cover the whole car.
Luckily, the place I work at had a short roll of the 3M carbon fiber left from a previous job so I threw that on the hood.

I have never seen the white carbon fiber before, honestly I think what I have on there now looks cheap and kind of cheesy. But like I said, it was a last minute resort.

What I have seen, and would love to get my hands on but it's crazy expensive, is carbon fiber laminate. It can go on any vinyl to give it the carbon fiber texture, acutally, it could go on any surface I guess, say, the dash face or trim pieces.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
TSLMember

finished

Finally done! Only took about 13 hours.

I'm pretty happy with the results, the pictures really don't do the matte justice. It looks much nicer in person (I could just be biased)

I had one of the guys I work with set up some decal cut griffins for me, I slapped one one the back for now. I'm still deciding on what to do for a hood emblem on that carbon fiber. I would just leave it but holy shit is it a nasty situation where the emblem was! It looks like someone took a torch and an ice pick or something to it before they slapped the emblem on.

Anyways, I was thinking of wrapping the old emblem in black and then putting a white griffin on that. We'll see. It is nice to have a vinyl platter at your convenience though.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated, even if you don't like it.

Last thought: I don't want to splatter this forum all over the site, but I would like to find a way for people that don't generally visit the Newer 9-3 Customization Forums to get a look. Sounds cocky I guess but kind of just want to get the word out and get more opinions and whatnot.

KCCO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in