anyone pull a stock radio out and replace with navigation? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
TSLMember

anyone pull a stock radio out and replace with navigation?

want to know, i'm looking at buying a 9-3 without nav, and would like to pull it and put in a used nav...is it simple as pulling out and plugging in to the panel...or is it extremely difficult?...i would love to have nav in my next saab....instead of using SIRI..."she's pretty stupid many of times"...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Elder

It is not plug and play, the NAV equipped cars have the GPS antenna and some extra wiring that goes to the NAV head unit. The vehicle speed needs to be tapped into it also.

It would probably be cheaper to just find one you like that already has NAV.

To be totally honest though, the Saab NAV interface and experience is pretty crappy. Would be cheaper to just get an Android phone.... !

Actually I think Google just released the GoogleMaps app for iPhonePads too. Give that a shot.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
It is not plug and play, the NAV equipped cars have the GPS antenna and some extra wiring that goes to the NAV head unit. The vehicle speed needs to be tapped into it also.

To be totally honest though, the Saab NAV interface and experience is pretty crappy. Would be cheaper to just get an Android phone.... !
agreed. and is this a new car or the same one you were hasving the key wont turn problem?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

From what I understand, it's not possible in our cars. There are too many functions in the "infotainment" unit that are specific to the car, and the car's ECU, you can't just pull it out and put a new one in.

If you pull the head unit/radio controls, you'll notice the car no longer starts. That's a clue that it's stupid, but seriously important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Elder

That's true for the early 9-3SS, for '07+ that got the re-styled GM format radios they are more swap friendly.

You can't put the later factory NAV units in the early cars either, the connectors are totally different. For '03-'06 the actual guts that control the stereo sit behind the climate control panel. The later ones are more like a traditional head unit and all the circuitry is in the stereo module.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
That's true for the early 9-3SS, for '07+ that got the re-styled GM format radios they are more swap friendly.
GM Format. ha... you mean GM radio. my 08 9-3 has the exact same radio as my grandmother's 09 Malibu. only difference is the backlight color and the color of the nobs. everything else is identical.

but i would imagine these are easier to replace but Saab Nav is crap. Google Maps is better. find a good mount for your iphone or get an after market double DIN that displays what is on your iphone (aka the google maps nav)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Elder

GM, exactly. I think they look nicer, interface better, and sound better than the early fiber optic system anyway. I think it matches the re-style of the climate controls really nicely also.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
TSLMember

not sure what year 9-3 i'm going to buy...i'm really looking for low miles...thanks for your input,....i just like the looks of having nav on the console...dresses it up....i have a mount for my iphone, and it works fine...i have no problems using siri...just would like to find a 9-3 with nav if possible....(one that fits my budget)...i was just curious about replacing saab radio with nav...only as an after thought providing my budget worksthanks once again....let's hope i can find a 9-3 with nav...that would be SWEET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in