Mesh grill - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Good Bad or Ugly?
Good Idea 3 23.08%
Bad Idea 8 61.54%
WTF Mate, No 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 03:26 PM  
Avid TSL User

Mesh grill

Good idea, bad idea, or terrible idea?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-3 Vector
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM  
Elder

Looks like doo doo. I'd keep it stock. If you do anything plasti-dip the upper grill and put in the edm side markers/bumper strip.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Definitely NO!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Looks like doo doo. I'd keep it stock. If you do anything plasti-dip the upper grill and put in the edm side markers/bumper strip.
Haha, good to know.

I'm not sure about plasti-dipping. I'm kind of looking for something other people don't do en mass. It's most of the reason why I say 'never', when people ask when I'm gonna put a set of RKs on it.

Back to the photoshop....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 PM  
c900 Grognard
Elder

Not really a fan of that look. If you have to do it, I'd just put flat-blacked mesh behind the stock plastic slats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Haha, good to know.

I'm not sure about plasti-dipping. I'm kind of looking for something other people don't do en mass. It's most of the reason why I say 'never', when people ask when I'm gonna put a set of RKs on it.

Back to the photoshop....
Definitely no on the mesh.

There's a reason lots of people use Plasti-Dip and put on BBS wheels. It's because it looks good.

Don't do random shit just to be different unless it actually looks good.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 PM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Definitely no on the mesh.

There's a reason lots of people use Plasti-Dip and put on BBS wheels. It's because it looks good.

Don't do random shit just to be different unless it actually looks good.
It's not exactly random. I just don't know of a kit or anyone doing it to their SS. Newer 9-3s have (stupidly over priced) kids available.
Saab 9-3 Mesh Grille Kit, 3 Pieces<br>2008-09: Saab Accessories, Saab Original & Aftermarket Parts - State of Nine

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Newer 9-3s have (stupidly over priced) kids available.[/url]
Kids are overpriced
Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 PM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiggers View Post
Kids are overpriced
#iphoneproblems

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM  
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
kinda on a side note of a lower mesh grill i think it would be a good idea keeping the road grime/rocks from killing the condenser. if you look at the condenser of a higher mileage 9-3 the condensers get beat to shit.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM  
TSLMember

i like it actually, i've been wanting to do mine since it's started getting warm. Just wasnt really sure how to attempt it. Can you post up a how to?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM  
Avid TSL User

I would use a smaller gauge mesh.Another poster mentioned the plastic rain gutter guard at home depot,they also have it in metal that is easy to bend and mold and it holds its shape. comes in one size at the depot ,6x36 " and the gap is about 1/8 or so. works real good.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsonett View Post
I would use a smaller gauge mesh.Another poster mentioned the plastic rain gutter guard at home depot,they also have it in metal that is easy to bend and mold and it holds its shape. comes in one size at the depot ,6x36 " and the gap is about 1/8 or so. works real good.
Yeah the Photoshop wasn't the best. If I actually did it, I'd probably buy a kit for the upper grill and then buy a matching pattern for the custom lower grill. The openings would be much smaller (and set further back) than in the Photoshop.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM  
Avid TSL User

What about the mesh down low only, paintmatched?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:25 PM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiggers View Post
What about the mesh down low only, paintmatched?
That would be the plan, I wouldn't want gold teeth on my car.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
I'm a fan of the mesh idea. Looks very classy and sporty if done right. Definitely worthy of an attempt. Good luck!

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM  
McQ
TSLMember

Send a message via Yahoo to McQ
I had some leaf gaurds laying around my backyard after a storm. The 6x36 galvanized ones fit a c900 grill width perfectly, trim ends to fit. Also clear coat or paint before install, they will corrode eventually(even with multiple groudstrap mod).

Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 AM  
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Plasti-dip the mesh.

Duh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
plastidiped

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in