A few customizations.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
TSLMember

A few customizations..

So later today I will be doing a few things to my Saab.

I'm not really feelin the wood grain trim inside so i plan to wrap them with matte white vinyl. (wont chip/fade, easier to clean)
They would be 100% easier if they came off the door and center console. If anyone knows how or if they pop off i would appreciate the knowledge.

I will eventually be wrapping my car in matte white and hopefully obtaining some black rims, just have to figure out how to get my boss to give me that much vinyl for free..haha.
Also need to know how to get the shark fin off the roof. I dont use the in car phone and dont have onstar so i dont need it. it will make wrapping the roof easier also.

My next project i would like to complete soon is a mesh grille. I have already painted the main top grille matte black, looks alot better than the factory chrome/black, but i want it to stand out more. It looks like after i pop it out i may have to cut away those cross bars and the figure out how to attatch the mesh. Maybe bend it around to the backside and then...any suggestions?

I would also like to do this with the bottom grille. Just the center part between the 2 fog light sections. (hoping to get some fog lights in there soon) this grille looks to be more of a project to take out then the top one. Is it just the plastic tabs like the upper grille or does it come out different?

A little off topic here but i have a very small spot on my passenger seat that got "scraped" and a little peice of the leather is pealing up. Anyone know how to fix this or keep it from getting worse. really bummed this happend, now i know not to let anyone sit in my saab but me...

I will try to get pics up later tonight or tomorrow morning of the interior trim. Would like to know what people think. Also looking forward to a little help with the grille project.

So here is the end product...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

* 2006 9-3 2.0T

Last edited by 93_2point0T; 10-03-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adding pics
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

i dunno man i'm not really feelin' the whiteness. i think the wood trim adds a nice touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i like it

and i think a storm trooper'd 9-3ss would be sick!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm not crazy about the door pulls being white. That's just me. However, if they are more scratch resistant than the original, it's definitely going to be worth it.

So, how did you get the door trim off? I've never tried, or had a reason to, but it's always nice to know.

As far as the scratch in the leather is concerned, I believe there's a filler or almost glue-like product out there. If you can find an arts/crafts/hobby store they should be able to point you in the correct direction. It might look just a bit touched up, but it's better than tearing/wearing away even more.

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
I'm with you on the wood trim not quite fitting right, but I'd prefer the metal look from GS, if only there were a full set and a bit cheaper. The white does look better though. I wouldn't mind that but it wouldn't go with my parchment interior.

The mesh grill is something I've been contemplating for quite some time, and I've been looking for a good material to use to fabricate one myself but so far I've come up empty.

Good to see someone else with an '06 2.0T.

..::EDIT::.. There's this from GS:
Metal center console
Gear Lever cover removal guide

Last edited by AUPilot09; 10-04-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added links
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #6

I like it. I don't think i would have chosen white, but I do like it.

I like how you did it in vinyl though, way better than painting. There are a TON of neat vinyls at www.yourautotrim.com I have a sample card of the carbon fiber vinyls and they come in all sorts of colors. I hear people talking about the metal look from GS, maybe a silver CF look. They also have brushed aluminum vinyls, or diamond tread.

Great job!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
SAABeginner

eekk, not feeling the white either. You know you can upgrade to the silver trim the comes on Aero models.

http://www.saabusaparts.com/catalog/
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
There's my next interior mod. Silver interior trim. Thanks Aero Jet.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
TSLMember

After having it on for a while i'm really starting to dislike it. It doesnt really go with anything. Maybe when i do wrap the whole car it will flow a little better. Lucky for me I have an unlimited choice in colors and designs so I will be changing it this weekend. Not sure what i will go with but i'm up for suggestions. I might try the carbon fiber look just to see.

As for taking the trim off i actually didnt, it was pretty easy just leaving it on. as for the handle, that comes right off.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

diggin the white, especially once the cares wrapped in it i think itll flow nicely. cant wait to see the finished product!

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
Finished interior wrapping looks great. Awesome work. Looks much better and is totally unique!

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in