Disable Xenon HID for Daytime Running Light? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Disable Xenon HID for Daytime Running Light?

Does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the computer system on a 2006 9-3 Aero so that you can turn the xenon’s off during the day? I would like to be able to control the headlights and parking lights by being able to turn them off and on manually rather than have them running constantly. I have searched and have not been able to find anything on this yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

yes i have it done to my 2007 9-3 aero combi... its pretty cool because you can have the running lights on and the fogs on.. reminds me of my spg....

its also illigal... but so is speeding
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Is the dealer able to do it or do i need to find someone with a tech 2? I dont think MI has any laws against it and if they do I'm not too worried. No inspections or emissions requirements here.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Isn't that just the "euro" setting? Anyone with a Tech2 can do that for you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

So when are you going to buy a Tech2 so the family can use it?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06AeroJLA View Post
So when are you going to buy a Tech2 so the family can use it?
Ha, you, dad, and sis would need it more than I do.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

I have the a4 in the garage that can use it too.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Elder

To do this the tech must 'REMOVE' and then re-'ADD' the Under-hood-Electrical-Center module, or UEC.

In order to do this you will need to find a shop with both a Tech2 and 'Security Access' programming, basically to give the car's anti-theft system permission to remove and re-program the module.

Usually this will only be a well-stocked SAAB specialty shop, or a dealership service department (who may or may not be willing to do this for you.)

Our shop charges $60 to do the DRL disable, and $40 to add a key, but I have heard costs ranging up to $160+ just to program another key, so call around and get pricing and quiz the shop you could take it to.

During re-addition of the module, there is an option for 'Headlamp Function', it must be programmed with the setting, 'Dipped Beam in Position 2 Only', (headlamp switch Position 0 is 'off,' Pos 1 is 'Park lamps', Pos 2 is 'Low Beams.')

During the same add sequence you also get the option to decide when the fogs will be able to be illuminated, IE during low-beam only, during low-beam and during parking lights, or during high-beam.

During the UEC ADD the tech will also have to know whether your has Xenon lamps version 1 or 2 (2006 should be version 1), whether you have fixed or pop-up headlamp washers, whether you have the rain-sensing windshield wipers, etc., or some parts of the car will get unhappy real quick.

In short, you need to find a technician who is familiar with how to identify the different options fitted to the car, so you need someone who knows what they're doing.

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Thanks Drew! Know anyone in the Detroit area?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Elder

it has proven very difficult to find a dealer that will even do it, weve tried 3 so far for my dads car, then gave up because the next dealer is 4 hours away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
To do this the tech must 'REMOVE' and then re-'ADD' the Under-hood-Electrical-Center module, or UEC.

In order to do this you will need to find a shop with both a Tech2 and 'Security Access' programming, basically to give the car's anti-theft system permission to remove and re-program the module.

Usually this will only be a well-stocked SAAB specialty shop, or a dealership service department (who may or may not be willing to do this for you.)

Our shop charges $60 to do the DRL disable, and $40 to add a key, but I have heard costs ranging up to $160+ just to program another key, so call around and get pricing and quiz the shop you could take it to.

During re-addition of the module, there is an option for 'Headlamp Function', it must be programmed with the setting, 'Dipped Beam in Position 2 Only', (headlamp switch Position 0 is 'off,' Pos 1 is 'Park lamps', Pos 2 is 'Low Beams.')

During the same add sequence you also get the option to decide when the fogs will be able to be illuminated, IE during low-beam only, during low-beam and during parking lights, or during high-beam.

During the UEC ADD the tech will also have to know whether your has Xenon lamps version 1 or 2 (2006 should be version 1), whether you have fixed or pop-up headlamp washers, whether you have the rain-sensing windshield wipers, etc., or some parts of the car will get unhappy real quick.

In short, you need to find a technician who is familiar with how to identify the different options fitted to the car, so you need someone who knows what they're doing.

Best,
Drew
Hey Drew, it's Bruce. That all sounds complicated but that's really cool that you got it down. When can I come down?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
Elder

Bruce,

I'm here 6 days a week, Mon-Fri 8-6, and 8-3 on Saturdays. Drop by any time, we don't do appointments!

Best,
Drew

Quote:
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Smile Tech2

Hey Drew,

i put in aftermarket Hid's and did the xenon enable and disabled my DRL's. The lights work great but I have no high beams. Is there anyways around this. If I was in your area I would come by but i'm in the east coast. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
Elder

Sorry, no idea, the 9-3 Sport Sedan is extremely picky about the lighting being out of spec, even with OEM lights.

I have no experience with aftermarket lights in these, especially HID packs - the lighting is all controlled by the body computer in the 9-3SS, and if it things the bulbs are burned out or disconnected it won't even send the trigger voltage to light them.

It's also possible yours aren't wired correctly.

Sorry that's not more help, it may be a time consuming thing to get them working correctly.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
SAABeginner

OpCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post

Best,
Drew
Can I do all this with the OpCom in my 93SS?
Regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in