Desperation! '08 9-3 Aero Cornering Headlamps Malfunction - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Unhappy Desperation! '08 9-3 Aero Cornering Headlamps Malfunction

I am rebuilding an '08 9-3 Aero Sedan. When I got the car, it had been stripped of its front end parts. No headlamps, xenon ballasts, AFL modules, etc. I am attempting to replace the headlights with the regular/halogen type headlamps, and the installation was seamless, PnP.

My problem is that now the SID is giving the the dreaded "Cornering Headlamps Malfunction" message. I do have the AHL/AFL module that is seated in the left engine compartment right near the battery, and there are two BUS wires that come from it. I need to trick those wires somehow into telling the SID that the cornering lamps are there and functional.

ANY help is very much appreciated!!!!

I've got an AlldataDIY.com subscription and a full set of wiring diagrams so far, so if you need further info, let me know.

By the way, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place!

Last edited by paulbuchman1980; 09-26-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Elder

Paul,

You may have to find an indy or a private mechanic with a Tech2 and a TIS subscription. You probably just have to 'remove' the headlamp leveling module, because when the car does it's power on check, and sees the AHL/AFL module present, it expects it to communicate, and receive feedback from the headlamps that they actually levelled correctly.

Just unplugging it or jumpering the module will probably keep throwing an AHL error code if the BCM is expecting it and can't find it.

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Paul,

You may have to find an indy or a private mechanic with a Tech2 and a TIS subscription. You probably just have to 'remove' the headlamp leveling module, because when the car does it's power on check, and sees the AHL/AFL module present, it expects it to communicate, and receive feedback from the headlamps that they actually levelled correctly.

Just unplugging it or jumpering the module will probably keep throwing an AHL error code if the BCM is expecting it and can't find it.

Best,
Drew
Much Appreciated, Drew. I'm thinking of tossing that idea to the tech. at the dealership (I've got to take it in because the Airbag light and SID message are both on [of course]). I've also tossed around the idea of buying a Tech2 on eBay, but I only rebuild a 5-10 GMs a year, so not too sure if it would be worth the huge investment...

If anyone else has any idea how the I/O wires going to the AFL module communicate with the BCM (I.E. preferred voltages/resistance, etc.), I am all ears. Would love to fix this myself and save some $$$! Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Elder

Do you own a copy of WIS by any chance? WIS gets into detail and will explain much of your questions (sometimes). If this was a 2003 - 2006 I'd have an awesome chart of systems and how they communicate I'd try and photo and post, but no fiber optics in your 08' (good thing too). I'd look for a copy of WIS - I'd offer to make you one, but as I said my DVD-rom is not working currently.
for your repair needs
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i just rebuilt a 2007 9-3 i had problems with the fog and cornerlight.. it ended up being a loose bulb that had slight corrosion and wasent making connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in