Parrot Mki9200 Bluetooth kit in '08 Saab 9-3? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
TSLMember

Parrot Mki9200 Bluetooth kit in '08 Saab 9-3?

I just picked up a new '08 SportCombi with the Bose Stereo system and Onstar. I have read the threads on adding the factory Bluetooth kit (Thanks Nick!), but I want more.

In looking around the Interwebs, I came across the Parrot Mki9200 http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...parrot-mki9200 - adds BT, USB, and iPod integration. Perfect! So based on the previous thread, my understanding is that I would need to basically unplug Onstar (which I could care less about), add the TEL1 harness, and connect it up. Will the TEL1 integrate the Parrot kit such that I would have stereo through it, or is it mono only? Alternatively I suppose I could use the aux in but I would hate to have another cable plugged into the dash all the time (but I will to get these features). I have been quite spoiled having a Pioneer FH-P8000BT headunit in my previous car that does all of this seamlessly.

Finally, is the cupholder panel without the cutout for the Onstar buttons readily available in the US? Any ideas on cost? Where the Onstar buttons are is of course exactly where I would want to put the BT control panel. Plus that stupid green LED in the Onstar button is severely irritating at night.

Thanks for any and all input,

-Kevin
'92 900CVT
'69 Sonett V4 #1243
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 AM   #2
TSLMember

Replying to my own thread - I happenned to run across the answer to my Onstar button delete question while searching for info on mudflaps(!). You have to replace the whole cupholder assembly, the new part number is 12774395. Saab list $119, found it online for $96. Ouch! But what price perfection?

-Kevin
'92 900CVT
'69 Sonett V4 #1243
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have an '08 9-3 with on-star and I too want to add a Parrot MKi9200. So far I have found the following:

It looks like the parrot MKi9200 is the ideal unit for me since it can play music of a USB memory stick. Now the question arises how connect the parrot to the car. From what I have read on this forum it looks like I have two choices.

1. Go to JustCarKits and get SAAB24TEL and JCKUNIPAR07.

This looks like phone calls come in over the front two speakers, music goes over all speakers, you must use the parrot mic, and you can retain the use of your steering wheel controls. This would be nice not to have to add another controller for answering / ending calls, switching tracks, etc. The downside appears to be that you have to run a 3.5 mm cable from the parrot to the FRONT of radio to plug into the 3.5 mm aux input on the fascia.

2. Go to QuickConnectProducts and get "GM/GMC/SAAB QCHBC-GM3".

This seems to work the same as above except that you cannot use your steering wheel controls. You have to use the little parrot controller. On the plus side you dont have to use the aux in on the front of the stereo. All the connections are on the back of the stereo.

I am not entirely sure both kits would work. The QuickConnectProducts one supposedly works with on-star vehicles right out of the box.

What did you end up doing?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
TSLMember

Oh yes, I've had the Parrot installed for nearly two years now. I went for the GMLAN adapter, probably the Quickconnects product but I don't recall now. I have the paperwork at home in my Saab records folder, I'll look it up tomorrow. That steering wheel interface is interesting to me.

If you search for Mki9200 on Saabcentral, you will find the write-up I did there with lots of pictures of my installation.

-Kevin
'92 900CVT
'69 Sonett V4 #1243
Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
TSLMember

Just did some reading on that steering wheel interface - spendy, at ~$160 + shipping from the UK, but if it works well a nice thing to have. I assume from the description that it translates the CANBUS signals from the steering wheel to Bluetooth signals to talk to the Parrot, just like the Parrot remote does (it is actually a Bluetooth device). Neat!

I can't tell from the description if it actually uses the 3.5MM aux-input to get sound into the stereo, or if they are just using that as an identifier. I don't see any reason this would not work with the GMLAN adapter that I already am using though, which works absolutely seamlessly. I'd love to know exactly how they implement the various commands with the steering wheel controls - if you have any info on that please post.

BTW, Onstar worked just fine in my setup, not that I ever used it. When my free year was up (the very day) the non-Onstar cupholder panel was installed.

-Kevin
'92 900CVT
'69 Sonett V4 #1243
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in