What kind of paint could be used for engine parts? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

What kind of paint could be used for engine parts?

I was thinking about possibly painting some engine parts like the di and possibly some engine piping ( just the outside) what kind odf paint could I used that would withstand the heat and wont flake off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I used custom mixed paint w/ enamel from Napa Auto. Matched my body color and was used on my engine cover. No clear coat need (mixed in).. it came out very well and its I've had it on for about 5 months with no problem. There was a previous thread about this. Check the product reviews.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #3

thanks man I found the thread, look awesome under the hood.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Elder

I got a local shop to mix me some paint up. I used the paint color from a lexus IS300, that solar yellow for my engine. I did not use a clear coat spray. Just several base coats of yellow. It was Chromobase type which I sprayed on using an aerosol spray kit. I believe they said it was good up to 100ºF but they said local racing guys were using this type of paint on their engines and it was holding up well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
i still dont understand how your black plastic parts and such under the hood are all so shiny and smooth looking
Old 03-13-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Elder

Not sure which parts you are referring to??

Old 03-13-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
valve sover and plasric tubing such as plastic (stock) intake elbows...com on man just look at that pic how do you not know what i mean

Next: smoked tail lights possibly...
Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 03-13-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
Elder

First of all, all that yellow tubing are vacuum lines in yellow (of course), I did not paint anything in that engine bay besides the valve cover, and all the caps. And what the hell is "plastic (stock) intake elbows" ??

Old 03-13-2005, 07:41 AM   #9

I think he is just implying that your engine is abnormally clean compared to most normal ones, was it just detailed in that oic.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 AM   #10
Elder

No, it always looks like that during the summer. I do my own detailing. It looks horrible now in the winter...I plan to paint the throttle body and some other parts this summer. Clean her up nice and good

Old 03-13-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Where'd you get your hosing from? I see your overflow hose is also yellow, did you paint that as well?
I'm looking for green. Any type I can get the better.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 03-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
Elder

I got mine off ebay I believe. 3mm size. And some leftovers from a buddy. That coolant overflow tube is just a cover-over they sell at pep-boys...What I really want to do is get those cool looking fuel lines, the silver mesh ones with red and blue end caps in there somewhere (see picture). Not sure how to do it since they screw on...

Old 03-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #13

now that enginbay is awesome, where you finding all these pics?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #14
Elder

www.garaget.org Mostly...You don't know about that car? That car is famous in Sweden. Fastest Saab over there. Nordic Saab. And the sickest looking. I've been following it for awhile. Saving pics etc...Watching its progress...

Old 03-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #15

nice, thanks you have now totally killed my productivity this week, as I look at every car and learn to read sweedish
Old 03-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #16
Elder

I know, I used to spend hours catching up on all the cars I missed. Just go to Bilar on the top menu and then select saab from the drop down on the left.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #17

cna't find that specific car, do you have a link
Old 03-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #18
Elder

Which, the one I uploaded pics of?

Old 03-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #19

yea the fastest in sweeden one
Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #20
Elder

It will take me forever to find it lol...Hold on..

EDIT: More info about it here with tons of pictures http://nordictuning.com/specialproje..._9-3_2.5t.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in