new 2008 9-3 and a few questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
TSLMember

new 2008 9-3 and a few questions

just got a 2008 2.0t. 6mt, silver, black interior, cold weather package, moonroof. i know a decent amount about saabs because my dad used to have a 900 turbo and now has a 99 9-5 se (3.0lpt v6). pics soon to come if anyone cares.

old car was a mk4 vw jetta. i had a jl audio 10" w7 powered by a 500/1 amp in there which i plan to install in the 9-3. does the stock headunit (no nav) support a subwoofer/aux?

has anyone installed the bumper insert with exhaust cutout for this model? if so, is it easy/difficult? any kind of modification or pretty much plug and play? any specs on the oem accessory exhaust system? i want to get an exhaust without voiding my warranty and hirsch is just way too expensive.

is there any kind of saab scene in southern california? coming from vw, there was a fairly strong network of mk4 vw's as well as some other generations. just wondering if there were any car shows like dubfest or clubs like blitzkrieg?

did some research and was able to find an answer on saabscene but i thought id double check on here. there are 2 notches left on the front headrests but it seems as if the metal poles are too long and cannot go all the way into the seat. im kinda short so i would like to put the headrests lower but i cant. the users on saabscene basically said youd have to cut them yourself to get them lower. any ideas?

also, i want to install a splitter or something subtle to the front to give the car a more aggressive look without looking too over the top. a lot of vw drivers throw seat cupra front splitters on their front valence. is there anything like that available for the new 9-3? i dont expect there to be anything since the car just came out but i figured id ask. anyone happen to know if the cupra splitter would fit on the saab bumper?

heres an example of the lip (my buddy's car)

does anyone do the whole stretch/poke thing with saabs? ive never seen one slammed (doesnt sound like there are many suspension options available) but pretty much all european cars look great with some poke so i figured someone has done it.

here are 2 examples of stretch and poke for those of you who dont know

sorry for all the questions and no pics. ill try to change that cuz i know no one looks at forum posts when theres nothing good to look at. especially when there is a lot of text. im not new to modding or saabs but if there are any suggestions or tips anyone can share that would be great.

Last edited by brace up; 04-25-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
You can put on any exhaust you want and it won't void your warranty. The Magnusson-Moss act protects you in this manner. If they ever try and say you voided your warranty because you put on a different exhaust then they are breaking the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Elder

Welcome to Saablink congrats on your 2008. A lot of people on this forum are about more performance mods then appearance. Those VW looks great and wicked clean but I have never seen any saabs like that. I think some old c900 or even viggens would look great with poked out wheels. Many people here have a close mind about what should be done to the exterior of saab. To some those type of mods they might scream out ďriceĒ with them not even knowing what the extent of rice actually is, or they will just complain about it.

Itís nice to see fresh faces on the forum looking to try different ideas even if itís not in the same thinking scheme with the rest.

As to doing stuff to your car right now there is not a big list considering the car is so new. Like I stated previously the Saab world moves faster with performance and even at that itís slow at times. There is on person that put a APR splitter on his 9-3SS and it looks great I will see if I can dig up a picture for you. As far as exhaust I would check out www.genuinesaab.com they should have something that you would like. I believe you can also buy coilovers for you car thought H&R and also KW.

Throw up some pictures of your car.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Elder

Welcome! I'm involved in the local dub scene myself, so I know where you're coming from. (Yes I also own a vw, you snaabs).

Post up a pic of your mk4!

I think a 9-3ss would look cool slammed, with some high offset wheels giving some poke. I run spacers on my car to increase the poke a bit, but it's not enough. I have also dropped my 900 pretty far, but most saabers aren't really interested in that look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Elder

Welcome!

I like the new look.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
c900 Grognard
Elder

Welcome

c900s have a little poke in the front with super aeros, it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
TSLMember

thanks for the replies.

how does the Magnusson-Moss act protect you from voiding the warranty? from what ive heard in the past with vw, if you put on an aftermarket exhaust and then you later on get misfires or something the dealership would say the reason why is because of the exhaust and refuse to replace the spark plugs or whatever. not the best example but you get the idea.

as far as modding, i am very much into the oem+ look or subtle, tasteful mods. i believe most european cars look good stock, and usually would look amazing just being lowered with some tasteful wheels. im all about performance, but that wont be happening for a while because the car is brand new and i dont want to do anything where the warranty would not cover any problems. plus i have less than 200 miles on the car.

ironjoe what kind of vw do you drive? i doubt i would go the route of slamming with pokeage and stretch just because its so difficult to get just right. plus then i would go with a staggered wheel setup which becomes a pain when youre rotating tires and what not. are there any cup kits that lower these cars a decent amount? id like a sporty stance without being too low because the streets here in LA are a pain. no pics of the mk4, i left it pretty much stock because it was a 2.0 and didnt want to waste money on it.

anyone know anything about connecting the amp/sub to the stock headunit? i reallllllllly dont want to have to buy a jl cleansweep.

ill take some crappy pics later today. once i have a little more time after finals are over ill take some nicer pics.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
TSLMember

also, is the aluminium trim kit actually aluminum or is it plastic? does it feel cheap? brushed? any close ups?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Site Moderator

welcome, where are you in SoCal? the local club is pretty quiet, but there are a few GTGs now and then. http://socalsaab.net/
Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
TSLMember

i go to USC but im always in orange county or long beach visiting friends or relatives. how many people usually show up to gtg's? whats the age group? are the cars mostly older or newer models?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
You can put on any exhaust you want and it won't void your warranty. The Magnusson-Moss act protects you in this manner. If they ever try and say you voided your warranty because you put on a different exhaust then they are breaking the law.

Nahum is mostly correct here... however they can still deny you a warranty claim if it can be proven that your exhaust caused the failure.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
TSLMember

really shitty pictures but you get the idea. real pictures to come.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
the '08 rear end looks so.... meh.

Sorry, anyway, nice ride. Yours has some 130k less miles then mine.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLausch View Post
Nahum is mostly correct here... however they can still deny you a warranty claim if it can be proven that your exhaust caused the failure.
Except that no exhaust system is going to damage any other components on the car pretty much and this was the exact reason that law was created. Your right about that little catch but thats for the performanc people or ignorant people that say run more internally critical parts or upgraded ecu's .

However for brakes, exhaust, intake..........your pretty much golden and they can't really deny you.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
TSLMember

ok thanks ill remember that.

as far as the rear end is concerned, i totally agree. looking at pictures, i was never really a fan of the rear with the altezza-like taillights and plain bumper. but honestly in person, the taillights look much much much better. i HATE altezza/clear taillights but since i have gotten the car they have really grown on me. my friends and i have decided that they are sporty without looking cheap. look great at night too. ill have better pictures for sure. the rear bumper..eh. ill eventually get the black exhaust cutout. seems simple enough to replace. just need to find a good exhaust. anyone know of a nice oval tip? i dont want something that will be super loud on the freeway or while im in reverse if im not giving it much gas. pretty much only when its half or more throttle.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #16
TSLMember

oh and not to sound like a completely tool...but this car makes panties drop. every girl who has seen my car thinks its hot (not cute like my jetta was). yesterday some random girl started talking to me while i was leaving a parking garage in my car cuz she liked it so much
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
tint it adn i bet the panties will fly off...

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brace up View Post
oh and not to sound like a completely tool...but this car makes panties drop. every girl who has seen my car thinks its hot (not cute like my jetta was). yesterday some random girl started talking to me while i was leaving a parking garage in my car cuz she liked it so much
Why doesn't this happen to me

Maybe it's the station wagon and car seat in the back.

Congratulations on the new Saab, BTW!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
TSLMember

this is how mine looks.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
Elder

Hot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in