Project Beginnings - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
Project Beginnings

Hi all! I recently got a '06 9-3 2.0T 5-speed and I'm looking to add a few things to her, but on a College students budget and timeline.

I'm wanting add one of the smaller Aero spoilers to the trunk, as well as get the windows tinted. I'm more than open for any suggestions you have since y'all have more experience with this than I do, especially since this is my first car I really have the option to mod.

Here's my before and after at the dealership the last time I saw my Beast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Nick at GenuineSaab has some new parts that fit your car:
http://genuinesaab.com/catalog/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
yeah and quality parts for saab's are not cheap either, so accept the college student way and buy lots of ramen noodles

Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #4

Haha, I've noticed the wonderful price, but for goodness sake a Saab's nothin to be sneezed at! Isn't the 9-3 classified as a Luxury Sport Sedan for cryin out loud? haha.

What's the general opinion of stateofnine.com ?

EDIT:: Also, I've noticed a very sharp Steel Mesh grill on stateofnine and I'm wondering if you've seen anything similar yet perhaps priced a bit more reasonably?
Mesh Grill

Last edited by AUPilot09; 04-08-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added forgotten information
Old 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
I know alot of people do DIY custom grills, not too hard on the og9-3 maybe someone will chip in who has done a ng9-3 grille
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #6

Now for the body kits, are they diy? also, I have some MASSIVE speed bumps, and I don't want to be grinding my car on them demolishing some hard work. Thankfully, I've got a black car, so the black plastic isn't as detracting as it is on other colors (IMHO) so I'm not in a huge rush to add that.

Also, for the spoiler, again DIY? I'm not wanting a big wing or anything, just the simple Aero spoiler to help with the lines on the trunk.

I'm totally in love with my Saab and I'm thrilled with it, and very proud. I'm thinking of getting some locking logo valve-stem caps (so they don't get got, any opinions/experience?), and some logo license plate bolt cap covers, just some small touches. ya know?

Also, does anyone on the off chance, know off the top of their heads the window tint laws for the state of AL?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to soggy
I would start with polished plate frames, e-code bumper strips, tints, and turn signal bulbs.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #8

sounds like a plan, is there the need for an adaptor for euro plates on the front? I noticed some discussion in a different thread, but the link was no longer active to the miracle solution someone found. I'm wanting to get a black and silver "turbo" euro plate for the front. Also the "Born From Jets" polished frame for the back.

e-codes, where's a good place to get these, and also has there been any definitive answer to adding a resistor or just leaving the bulb in/out or what not?

Turn signal bulbs? You mean not the standard everywhere orange? WHA? :P so you're suggesting a white bulb for the turn signals? or something a bit more drastic? heh.

Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #9

So I noticed "Wulfer" somewhere, and his guide to e-code bumper strips, and bulb changes. I'm hoping to get my tag tomorrow, and then figure out what all I can afford next week, heh. I rain-x'd the windshield today, looks good, and I love that stuff. Probably wash and wax her saturday because I can wax her in the hangar at work, so long as it's not busy.

Anyone have any experience with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs? all I could find at AutoZone...

Also found out where to go for a tint job, lifetime guarantee (so long as I go legal) or a cash only for darker... probably going to just get a 35% and stay legal and all... I like to stay low profile as far as cops are concerned... (Black car with tint really helps, huh? :P )

Thanks again y'all.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #10

Off topic, but I'm curious to know if you are a pilot or is that just for your avatar?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Silverstars for the headlights?

Generally not too good of ratings on those...

I don't have a SS, but I have bought some bulbs from here, and I'm happy with them.

Http://rallylights.com
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAviggen View Post
Off topic, but I'm curious to know if you are a pilot or is that just for your avatar?
I don't mind that it's "off topic", so long as the mods don't.
I am a pilot. One of the best ways I know to spend my time, in the air.
I'm currently working on my commercial rating, currently have my Pvt and Instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Silverstars for the headlights?

Generally not too good of ratings on those...

I don't have a SS, but I have bought some bulbs from here, and I'm happy with them.

Http://rallylights.com
hey hey, thanks so much. Anything in particular? and do you have any pics perchance? I noticed wulfer had some philips he used for the turn signals, I just can't find them. I'm not lookin for a total overhaul, but I'm just wanting to get the orange glow out of the lights in the day.

EDIT:: I was wondering if there was anything with modding that'll effect my warranty in any way? I don't want to void it, but cosmetics shouldn't have any effect (namely the e-code bumpers, what with messing with those lights) right? I'm still very much a new-b at this, so keep that in mind, heh. Thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited by AUPilot09; 04-10-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Here is a thread I made for my 1999 9-3:

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26733
Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #14

Hey sweet, thanks. I'll have to start searching old threads and stop repeating topics etc.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #15

Well, I just ordered some e-codes and a nice euro plate for the front. I ordered my license plate today too, god that was expensive. Taxes and such, sucks. Gonna have a nice little "turbo" tag up front. Soon as I can afford it I'm gettin her tinted, hopefully with my next paycheck, in 2 weeks. Also still have to get my headlight fixed. Should take care of that, soon. Anyone know where I can get cheap kids with small hands to fit in there? haha. I'll put up some pics of the e-codes and tag's when I get 'em.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #16

Got an e-mail just a couple days after I ordered the e-codes and tag, e-codes were out of stock and I haven't heard anything since. Haven't been charged yet either... But the tag I ordered hasn't been shipped either. I hope there wasn't some small print I missed... I'll have to go back and check that. ..::EDIT::.. So, I went back and checked and I haven't been charged, but I'm wanting to cancel, seriously. I don't think I want the e-codes right now, but the euro plate I was excited about, but it seems they won't ship it without the other item, which really bums me out. :'( I wan mah tag! So, I dunno if anyone's payin attention, but I looked on the website and it seems there's no way to cancel an order on the site, are there? I'll probably fire off an e-mail back to them. oh wellz. (/rant)

I finally got my headlight fixed up here in Chicago, Patrick Saab/Cadillac on Higgins. Not bad. BRIGHT lights now (on one side).

I haven't gotten my tags yet, hopefully they'll be there when I get home from PA.

Tint after I pay off my first ever speeding ticket haha, oh well.

Last edited by AUPilot09; 05-11-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #17

Just relax and wait it out, no rush man! I remember when I wanted my new wheels and they only had 3/4, and I was soooo excited i had them send the 3 because i wanted to stare at them... and i stared at them for months until the 4th got there. I still stare at them =/

/rant.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #18

Gya. I had to go to the dealership in Columbus to fix my headlights that were pointing STRAIGHT FUCKING DOWN! (ASSHATS!) and also my glovebox hinge that decided it was a time bomb and Shattered on the way down from Carlisle. I had also noticed a bit of a grinding noise on the front right so I had them look at that while I was there. I waited 3 hours before he told me it was gonna be 49 bucks to fix the headlight alignment. GEEZE it's not even my fault. good god. ugh, then another 4 hours for them to say they had to order a new glovebox door and they were looking at the front end.

Turns out the backing plates were effed from the factory and they had to take apart the front end to fix them, so I was gonna have to have a rental... Great. Turns out "They went back much faster than they came apart" so I just got my car back still with a shattered glovebox bracket. Great. They said they'd call me when they got it in. So far I'm not tooo impressed with Bill Heard Cadillac Saab of Columbus, GA... but I'm not makin any snap decisions.

Did get my tag and had to buy a torx wrench set to get the bolts out to put it on. Not terrible. gotta give her a bath though... oh well...

Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 AM   #19

Sounds like a nightmare dude.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #20

Yeah... it's been ridiculous. I got her washed today, Might wax her tomorrow if I have the time... Gotta do homework. I bought a Euro tag for it, but I'm not sure how to mount it.
Anyone with suggestions, or even preferably pics, would be most welcomed. I'm just not sure if I need some additional hardware, or if I'm just supposed to drive some screws through the painted holes on the bumper... TIA.

Still no word on my glovebox... I'm not expecting it any time soon..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in