Aftermarket HIDs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Aftermarket HIDs

Anyone tried these yet?

I looked up what bulb the '04 9-3 Uses, it said the H7, so I found these...

Will they work??

Any ideas?

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=3418
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Ok, maybe not the 8000k ones, but a HID kit at that...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Elder

i believe there was talk of a headlight circuit caused limp mode or something. i dont really remember.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
at the very least you will get a headlamp failure indicator, unless you get resistor packs that trick the car into thinking there is a load there since the aftermarkets run off of a second harness using one headlights wiring only as a trigger wire for the on/off relay. 4300K (give or take a few hundred) will give you the best light output and is comparable to most factory systems in color. You will however notice the cutoff (beam pattern) will not be as sharp as the factory xenon cars as you are putting out more light then the projectors are engineered for, creating a scatter effect. If you search this topic there is some more in depth discussion on this topic that applies accross the board, no need to put everyone asleep posting it all again...

btw, at the price of that kit, i question the quality of components, i have paid more than that for good ballasts alone when doing retrofits before.
'01 Viggen (sold)

Last edited by JLausch; 02-04-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #5

Yeah, that was my thoughts on kit quality, I was just asking about kits in general and figured it'd be a good idea to post up a link...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Elder

I would look into maybe getting a set of HID lenses or retrofitting a different projector in, you'll spend more but the results will be 10x more impressive, good luck with it
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Redfoxx
go to www.suvlights.com that's where you can find a wide range of HID bulb replacements from Sylvania and the like.

make sure you know the right HID bulb you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #8

Is there anywhere that sells factory Saab HID components? I might just go this route...

We were out driving this past weekend in a bit of a storm and our headlamps are starting to seem like trying to see with a candle in a hurricane...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Elder

I would check ebay, and junk yards for wrecks, that would be cheapest, i don't know anyone in particular that sells them, if your adventurous you could try retrofitting a superior projector from another car. www.hidplanet.com has a forum that has all kinds of info on retrofits but they are dumb about contacting other members and PMs are disabled, pretty stupid but a boat load of info and diagrams on there, and a good place to ask specifics.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #10

Thanks for the website! I have some ideas now, so I need to figure out what'll work...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
SAABeginner

From what I gathered on my research on this topic awhile back, was that the only difference between the projectors used for the halogen setup and the ones used in the Xenon setups is simply the socket where the bulb plugs into since obviouslly there are 2 different bulbs used for the different applications. Other than that, the actual projectors were identical, meaning the cutoff should be just fine when putting in a Xenon bulb into the Halogen projector. I'm strictly talking about the 9-3SS here.

If what I heard is true, a pnp kit shouldn't have glare issues in your current projectors, and light output should be decent. But as for the CEL, can't help you there.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #12

They now make 55w HID kits with slim, digital ballasts. No resister needed.

Strobing and light fluctuation are known issues with the install.

It is suggested you have TECH II switch your headlights to Xenon, it tricks the computer into stop sending "pulses" to what it believes to be a halogen bulb.

I will update as I bought these yesterday in 5000k

http://www.ddmlights.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

They should arrive next week, I will do a photo DIY and post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADouglas View Post
They now make 55w HID kits with slim, digital ballasts. No resister needed.

Strobing and light fluctuation are known issues with the install.

It is suggested you have TECH II switch your headlights to Xenon, it tricks the computer into stop sending "pulses" to what it believes to be a halogen bulb.

I will update as I bought these yesterday in 5000k

http://www.ddmlights.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

They should arrive next week, I will do a photo DIY and post.
Sounds like you have done your research! I hope it works. 5k should be nice, slightly more white/blue than the standard 4300.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Sounds like you have done your research!
First time!

Ya know, there is a lot info out there on that internet thing.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADouglas View Post
First time!

Ya know, there is a lot info out there on that internet thing.
That there is... I'm dragging my feet on this one... lol Kristie and I still have a wedding to pay for this summer...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #16

I paid under $200 for my set up, a kit which has has good acclaim on some other site.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
From what I gathered on my research on this topic awhile back, was that the only difference between the projectors used for the halogen setup and the ones used in the Xenon setups is simply the socket where the bulb plugs into since obviouslly there are 2 different bulbs used for the different applications. Other than that, the actual projectors were identical, meaning the cutoff should be just fine when putting in a Xenon bulb into the Halogen projector. I'm strictly talking about the 9-3SS here.

If what I heard is true, a pnp kit shouldn't have glare issues in your current projectors, and light output should be decent. But as for the CEL, can't help you there.

Do you have links pertaining to the info you posted? I'm not trying to discredit you i would just be curious to read the info your referring to. I find that very unlikely since the beam pattern is different if i remember right, not to mention i've never heard of that before. If anyone has pics of their lights against a wall on an SS halogen vs. hid that would be sweet.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #18

^ +1 as I am doing this mod.

The OEM xenons have self-leveling projectors which I know is absent from the halogen equipped 9-3ss.

Here is an (poor) example of an aftermarket install vs. OEM halogen

(have a PM in for a side by side, pointed at wall comparison in the works)

Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #19
SAABeginner

I take no offense in you wanting to see where I got my info. I will try to find you some links, it may take me awhile though because there's a lot of threads I'll have to go back and comb through. I know I did find it on the SC forums though.

Here is a quick pic I found though. This is a 6k kit into the SS halogen housings.

link to the thread with the pics: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=projectors

Last edited by Halon; 02-24-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #20
SAABeginner

Here is the thread I was looking for
POST 10:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=projectors

There's also a mention of it in this thread.
POST 56:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=projectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in