E-code Bumper strips - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

E-code Bumper strips

I hate the orange lenses on the bumper strips, I cannot bring myself to buy "smoke spray" (its not a civic) to darken them.

I will go will the E-codes.

Question:

What do I do with the deleted lights? Do they just hang down behind the bumper?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

stick them behind the new e-codes and forget about em
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADouglas View Post
I hate the orange lenses on the bumper strips, I cannot bring myself to buy "smoke spray" (its not a civic) to darken them.

I will go will the E-codes.

Question:

What do I do with the deleted lights? Do they just hang down behind the bumper?
I would measure the resistance of the bulb. Then get a resistor and wire it in and remove the bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #4

That sounds good, a bit more technical than I am inclined.

What if I just replaced them with blown out bulbs?

I have had one burn out in the past and received no warning light.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Might be worth a shot, but I bet after a few times of starting your car, the warning could show up...

Also, installing a resistor would be a snap.

You could basically just stick it into the plug for the bulb.

All it has to do is make HAL9000 think the bulb is working by sapping the power in the socket.

Last edited by Palmer; 01-21-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #6

Can't you still use the lights? I thought the e-codes just made them ... not orange.

Unless you mean you hate the lights down there completely. I'm not a fan of the orange plastic, but don't mind the normal orange light. IE smoked side blinkers on NG900/9-3

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 01-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to soggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlymurt View Post
Can't you still use the lights? I thought the e-codes just made them ... not orange.

Unless you mean you hate the lights down there completely. I'm not a fan of the orange plastic, but don't mind the normal orange light. IE smoked side blinkers on NG900/9-3
No, e-codes get rid of them. Mine don't have bulbs in them (i think) and they're inside the bumper. The techII brings up a notification for it but the SID doesn't.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Tysaabturbo Send a message via Yahoo to Tysaabturbo
I personally have taken the bulbs out of the cornering lights and haven't recieved a bulb failure warning.. you should b fine..if anything..tape off the ends of the housing to prevent anything from getting into the outlet..

Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
you wont get a dash message of bulb failure. The computer does check them and (like all ss) will show a failure fault code with tech2. Almost every car that comes in has one of the 4 little bulbs in the front out.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
you wont get a dash message of bulb failure. The computer does check them and (like all ss) will show a failure fault code with tech2. Almost every car that comes in has one of the 4 little bulbs in the front out.
That's not true at all. I purchased e-codes from Genuine Saab and I remember asking about this specific question. When I replaced the strips I removed the bulbs but as soon as I started the car I was greeted with a message that my bulbs were burnt out. I decided to e-mail GS and Nick replied that I should just keep the lights plugged in and let them sit inside the bumper but the thought of glowing bulbs inside my bumper didn't really turn me on (pun inteneded ) So...I went to the dealer and had them disable the DRLs and the front parking lights, now I can rest easy
Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #11

That was Nick from GS that you just replied to...

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Elder

Weird, mine are out yet no bulb failure notification on the SID.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Elder

If for whatever reason you want to try this resister thing let me know, I have access to all of that stuffs.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
If for whatever reason you want to try this resister thing let me know, I have access to all of that stuffs.
Dude you are an electrical engineer and you connected a battery backwards, I wouldn't let you near my car with resistors.

Just kidding, want to help wire those Hella fogs and driving lights up? There is a TSD night rally coming up in two weeks.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Dude you are an electrical engineer and you connected a battery backwards, I wouldn't let you near my car with resistors.

Just kidding, want to help wire those Hella fogs and driving lights up? There is a TSD night rally coming up in two weeks.
Nice one, but you can't wire a resistor backwords!

I'll be there tomorrow, you're still taking my spot? If not I need to get some trans fluid.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Nice one, but you can't wire a resistor backwords!

I'll be there tomorrow, you're still taking my spot? If not I need to get some trans fluid.
I was hoping I could... but if you have shit to do, I am not going to steal your spot fool.

I will be there some time after 7pm or so.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
I was hoping I could... but if you have shit to do, I am not going to steal your spot fool.

I will be there some time after 7pm or so.
Na it's all good, I don't mind helpin out.

This whole summer will be dedicated to fixing that classic up anyways.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #18
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlymurt View Post
That was Nick from GS that you just replied to...
Yes, I realized that before I typed. What I was referring to was not just his reply but to explain to everyone that might read my post that if you did what Nick said, you could potentially get a warning that tells you a light (or two) was inop, that is all. For all I know it could be the MY of the car...I have an '07 but I don't know what Tysaabturbo is driving, his car may be a few years older than mine and the computer reads it differently? Sounds like a long shot.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

What is the little cut out square piece for and how do you attach it back on? It keeps coming loose-

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #20

It covers the hole for a hook (located with spare tire) to screw into for when towing or... whenever an eyelet hook is needed on a front bumper.

'04 9-3 Aero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in