Changing the seats - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Elder

Changing the seats

I have a 2003 9-3SS with a power driver's seat and the standard adjustable passenger seat.

Jameson (who is awesome!!) found me a set of seats out of a 2006 9-3 (front and rear) that is local for me.

They are at a great price and in better condition than my current ones.

What all is involved in switching the seats out? Possible to run power to the passenger, how difficult? Where do I source it?

I know a lot of people have replaced seats in OG 9-3 and 9000 but specific help towards the SS would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. And thanks Jameson for the deal!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
You are welcome.

There are a couple people on here who are techs that work on a lot of SS's. Hopefully one of them will chime in. I am hoping that the wiring and harness for the passenger side is there even though your car was not equipped with it at the time. In my experience with swaps like this many of the options are pre-wired and it is just a plug in play.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Elder

Yeah, I am hoping the same Jameson.

However, with as advanced as seats are becoming it makes me apprehensive. What if the vehicle was in a crash etc, does this effect the BUS system or whatever (this is hypothetical).

Crossing my fingers either way.

The place was really cool when I called on them. And $299 for a full set is a dang good deal.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Elder

Glad to see you've got some work to do on the saab Topher.
I don't see why it would be more than unbolting the old and bolting in the new? Did they change the design?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
Glad to see you've got some work to do on the saab Topher.
I don't see why it would be more than unbolting the old and bolting in the new? Did they change the design?
Nope similar design, they are gray leather with the inserts of a slightly different color.

Just unsure of whether the BUS system will "read" the new seats or if they will throw a airbag failure light, etc.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Just unsure of whether the BUS system will "read" the new seats or if they will throw a airbag failure light, etc.
If it does, what's the worst that could happen, limp mode? Seems aireeca has already given you that...

Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
I've said it in the 9-2x forum and I'll say it here... the SRS ECU needs to see a reference resistance within specification from the side airbag module. The connector at the bottom of a 9-3SS seat should be identical in all variants, with the uninstalled equipment's respective wires not in existence. However, because the power seats are self-contained, you shouldn't have an issue. I will take a look at WIS tomorrow to confirm this. So basically, its plug and play -- just make sure the battery is disconnected so you don't end up throwing any codes.

CL

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite_embedded View Post
I've said it in the 9-2x forum and I'll say it here... the SRS ECU needs to see a reference resistance within specification from the side airbag module. The connector at the bottom of a 9-3SS seat should be identical in all variants, with the uninstalled equipment's respective wires not in existence. However, because the power seats are self-contained, you shouldn't have an issue. I will take a look at WIS tomorrow to confirm this. So basically, its plug and play -- just make sure the battery is disconnected so you don't end up throwing any codes.

CL

YOU ROCK.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Just as I suspected, the 9-3 uses a large gang connector under each seat to provide adequate power, bus, seat heater control and crap. The question remains if your car is indeed pre-wired for a memory seat... as long as pin 23 (I-Bus) is connected to the connector on the car side, the DSM module (still hopefully attached to your newly acquired seats) will talk to the rest of the car and allow memory settings to be saved and retrieved. I have posted the relevant WIS stuff at http://www.granite-embedded.com/9440seats.pdf

Good luck!

CL

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
SAABeginner

Newbie looking for seat help.

I'm new here, and this post is right up my alley. I'm building a custom 1948 Chevy Street Rod, and I bought a set of seats froma 2004 9-3 Convertible. I want to use all of the functions of the seats. I have all of the wiring diagrams and relevant info from the WIS. It appears that I need to provide the "wake up" signal to the Drivers Seat Module. This normally occurs when the key is on or the door is open.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of signal generator to provide the signal, or maybe even trying to install the Column Info module to provide the signal.

What would be great is if the I-bus signal to the DSM only says "go ahead and provide power to the switches via pin 28 out of the DSM. Then I could just send 10amps to the switches and everything would work. I doubt it is that simple, though.

Does anybody know what happens in the DSM when the correct I-bus signal is received?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in