stock hids - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

stock hids

does anyone know the what temp the stock hid's are on an 03 vector??also i was wondering if i can jus get different temperature bulbs like higher temp bulbs..thanks any help would be appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to soggy
The closest you will be able to get easily are Silver Stars, the headlight bulb type is H7. The catch however is that they burn out very fast. The silverstars run at 4100k i believe it is, the stock HIDs on saab is somewhere between 5000 and 6500. I know for a fact that Osram makes the stock HID bulbs. You can't just buy HID bulbs and put them in however. They have a different socket type, draw a different wattage, and you need to have auto balancing =/ Trust me I've been working on this for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
You can buy just HID bulbs for your car. The sockets would be the same as long as you have ballasts already. Auto level is part of the headlight assembly. I dont think you will have a problem. I have a 9-5 assembly sitting right next to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDSPG View Post
You can buy just HID bulbs for your car. The sockets would be the same as long as you have ballasts already. Auto level is part of the headlight assembly. I dont think you will have a problem. I have a 9-5 assembly sitting right next to me.
Different power draw throws a bulb failure, rumor has it if you set the tech 2 to hids then it throws an error for not having auto balancing.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

well i mean i already have hids and auto balancing so...i don't think that should be a problem as far as that goes...but that also worries me the auto balancing if i change the bulb is it gonna throw the balancing off?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03vector20T View Post
well i mean i already have hids and auto balancing so...i don't think that should be a problem as far as that goes...but that also worries me the auto balancing if i change the bulb is it gonna throw the balancing off?
whoops, my bad. I didn't realize your name had vector on it. I don't think you will have any problems changing the bulbs. If you try it out just return them, let us know what happens though.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
SAABeginner

so again onw of my bulbs went out. no more sylverstars for me. wnyone have suggestions that might work better for me and still give a good white light.

_takashinho_
Old 12-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by takashinho View Post
so again onw of my bulbs went out. no more sylverstars for me. wnyone have suggestions that might work better for me and still give a good white light.
Silverstars are rated to last something like 300 hours. There is nothing other than cheap blue bulbs that you can use for good white light. I'm going to try a conversion pretty soon here to see what it would take to get a 93ss running HIDs from thestocksuckbulbs. It's been done before, shouldn't be too bad.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
silver star ultras are around 4100k
stock hids are usualy around 5000k the projector lens helps add color
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

ah i c...well thanks anyway...i'm afraid to mess with the autobalancing...so i'm just going to leave it until the time comes...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to 1sweet2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
The closest you will be able to get easily are Silver Stars, the headlight bulb type is H7. The catch however is that they burn out very fast. The silverstars run at 4100k i believe it is, the stock HIDs on saab is somewhere between 5000 and 6500. I know for a fact that Osram makes the stock HID bulbs. You can't just buy HID bulbs and put them in however. They have a different socket type, draw a different wattage, and you need to have auto balancing =/ Trust me I've been working on this for a while.
H7? The Saabs have d2r/d2s HID bulbs..

Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to cody4130
i believe most stock HID's are in the 3800-4200k range but i bought a set of 6000k HID replacements and could not see any real change over stock . we install hid kits all the time here and 6000k retrofit HID and stock HID is a big differance the retrofit is usually way brighter and more blue which makes me wonder what our bulb temp really is. BTW 6000k gives the best balance of blue and white plus retains visabiltiy unlike the higher k rated bulbs that are more in the uv spectrum.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #13

Most HIDs are in the 5-6.5k range. And H7 is the bulb type for non HIDs.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Redfoxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet2.0 View Post
H7? The Saabs have d2r/d2s HID bulbs..
H7 is the halogen bulbs for most Saabs. But my 9-5 Aero uses D1S style bulbs where the ballast is attached to the HID bulb itself.

D1S bulbs: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=25_50
Xenon bulbs, ballasts, and kits: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?c...c80082270edfd4

Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post

Old 02-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

ah thanks for the bump haha but i'm just going to say screw it and stick with the stock hids and then when they burn out deal with it then....1sweet ur car looks sweet haha do u have cleared amber turn signals if so how did u get to them to switch them out?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03vector20T View Post
ah thanks for the bump haha but i'm just going to say screw it and stick with the stock hids and then when they burn out deal with it then....1sweet ur car looks sweet haha do u have cleared amber turn signals if so how did u get to them to switch them out?
Hey ~ I didn't mean to bump the thread back up, but I posted a reply I made a while ago, lol. i forgot.

As for my clear amber turn signals.. what do you mean? In the headlgiht assembly itself?

Jackie

Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

yea in the head light assembly haha no problem i totally forgot bout this thread.haha!i guess u have the chrome bulbs in there maybe?

adam
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

ohhh....lol, it's just the way The pic came out. I still have the orange bulbs. I haven't really thought about changing them..are you?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

i was thinkin bout changing them...although they seem like a pain to get to...also i was lookin at ur side strip lights were painted were they tint sprayed or straight up painted?also if painted does any light come through when they are on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in