Clutch - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to 1sweet2.0
Clutch

I know there are not many Members with 93SS's on here but I have gotten the Spec stage 2 clutch installed. Just a FYI, It's awesome! Like many of you know the stock clutch is very feathery.. Now that the Stage 2 is in you can actually feel the clutch grad and it makes the car much easier to drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

that's great to hear.

do you have big plans for more power?

do you find this new clutch to be easier or harder to drive in heavy stop and go traffic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
that's great to hear.

do you have big plans for more power?

do you find this new clutch to be easier or harder to drive in heavy stop and go traffic?
I get stuck in HEAVY stop and go traffic daily but it does make it much easier to drive I have to say. It doesn't make it harder to push the pedal in either.

oh yeah OF COURSE I have big plans, why do you think I put the clutch in??? PPC will be the next mod. I'll probally get the stage 1 and see how I like it and then pay a couple hundred more and upgrade it to the stage 3

Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

BSR or nordic PPC?

I think they are working on a 300HP program that is the rumor on SC... but not sure if that is the v6 or the 2.0T

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

yeah the stage 1 is already out for the V6.. which is awesome...I'll proablly go with BSR. I don't really think there is a difference either.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I believe Nordic has or is finishing up a Stage 3 for the SS. I can't remember if it involves a new turbo or not. Dan (snow4_1man) is all over the upgrades for the SS, I need to get his ass back on here.

We were just talking about the Spec lightened fly that I believe comes in a kit along with the clutch and pressure plate. Did u hear anything about that?

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque_Out View Post
I believe Nordic has or is finishing up a Stage 3 for the SS. I can't remember if it involves a new turbo or not. Dan (snow4_1man) is all over the upgrades for the SS, I need to get his ass back on here.

We were just talking about the Spec lightened fly that I believe comes in a kit along with the clutch and pressure plate. Did u hear anything about that?
nope haven't heard about that spec clutch... i do know nordic will have a stage 3 out shortly if not already out now.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
Stage 3 Nordit uses TD04-18t-6cm turbo, its out but i don't think in the US. Some other cars have our trannies also and i believe the flywheel from Spec with work just need to do some research.
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #9

This is pretty interesting news. I wonder if there's much of a difference between the clutch kits for the 9-3SS and the OG9-3.

I've heard of several folks with higher output OG 9-3s regretting their SPEC 2/3 kits (including Ed Smith) because of chattering and pedal feel.

If they've made improvements to it, maybe that will trickle down...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
Stage 3 Nordit uses TD04-18t-6cm turbo, its out but i don't think in the US. Some other cars have our trannies also and i believe the flywheel from Spec with work just need to do some research.
Huh so nordic went different about it huh? Because BSR stage 3 includes PPC,3" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust and thats a rating at 289hp i belive.
Btw if upgrading the turbo on the new 9-3ss you have to upgrade injectors.

94\" 9000 Aero
3\" catless downpipe,Intake,3\" custom exhaust,H&R springs,Jak Stoll Stage 4 ECU,Clutch Net Carbon Ceramic Clutch plate, HKS EVC boost controller.
94\" Z28
383(9:1) afr heads,YSi,TH400,9"(it gets out of its own way ok
)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
This is pretty interesting news. I wonder if there's much of a difference between the clutch kits for the 9-3SS and the OG9-3.

I've heard of several folks with higher output OG 9-3s regretting their SPEC 2/3 kits (including Ed Smith) because of chattering and pedal feel.

If they've made improvements to it, maybe that will trickle down...
Mike,
Difference between 9-3ss and my 9k clutch feel is huge from the factory. I know the ng9-3 is about the same as 9k. ON the new 9-3s the Pedal is featherlight mines much harder stock vs stock. And compare my stage 1 spec to her stage 2 spec is huge also my pedal is hard hers still lighter then mine was with a factory clutch in it. I think hydralics designed differently

94\" 9000 Aero
3\" catless downpipe,Intake,3\" custom exhaust,H&R springs,Jak Stoll Stage 4 ECU,Clutch Net Carbon Ceramic Clutch plate, HKS EVC boost controller.
94\" Z28
)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque_Out View Post

spec dosent have flywheels avail for the 9-3ss, the flywheels is a crazy looking piece the reason her 9-3 got the clutch was the rearmain seal leak. I pulled the trans out and was serously puzzeled when saw the clutch set up. Theres springs on the fingers of the PP and clutch plate has a solid hub. And the Flywheel itself is 2 piece with a spring it inbetween for a smoother operation.

94\" 9000 Aero
94\" Z28
)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
Admin
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick2.0t View Post
spec dosent have flywheels avail for the 9-3ss.

Not for the SS but for the Chevy Cobalt uses the same 5 speed tranny and the Pontiac Solstice that uses the same 6 speed transmission i believe. I'm sure something can be worked out that the flywheels can work. Its the same engines, and the Short shifters from B&M work also.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Not for the SS but for the Chevy Cobalt uses the same 5 speed tranny and the Pontiac Solstice that uses the same 6 speed transmission i believe. I'm sure something can be worked out that the flywheels can work. Its the same engines, and the Short shifters from B&M work also.
i'm sure it can work but the only problem is it will never drive as smooth.
+ car already has very little get up and go from a stop it will be even worse with a light flywheel.

94\" 9000 Aero
94\" Z28
)
Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
Admin
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick2.0t View Post
i'm sure it can work but the only problem is it will never drive as smooth.
+ car already has very little get up and go from a stop it will be even worse with a light flywheel.
With any lightened flywheel you will always factor in the quality of driving. As from when the car is stock that is about the best drive quality your going to get, as far as smoothness is concerned.

The whole idea with a lightened flywheel is decreasing mass also decreasing rotation inertia in which case will free up power quicker. A car that has a heavier flywheel will benefit more from a lightened one. Whether or not the flywheels from a different car from spec will work is a different story.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Quote:
yes, true... but I don't have a 5 spd.. it's a 6

Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #17
Admin
Elder

In that case right now i cant find anything for the 6 speed. The 6 speed uses a FGP Germany F40 transmission and the only other car that uses that engine is a Pontiac G6 and i cant find a flywheel for that car yet. Prob wont be to long.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in