Rusted Calipers - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
WASSAB Member
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via MSN to Immo Send a message via Yahoo to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo
Rusted Calipers

I have a 2003 Arc with 11,000 miles on it, and my front brake cailbers are starting to rust. Anyone else having this problem? I'm sick of looking at them... Has anyone tried a Brake Caliper Paint System Set?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #2

your calipers are nice, solid, heat-diffusing cast iron so they'll eventually show some surface rust. you can paint them with high temp paint. google search for "brake caliper paint" and you'll come up with several options.

The kit option comes with cleaning solvent and enough paint for all 4 calipers, but make sure you have a way to get your rears off fast before the paint hardener sets up...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
WASSAB Member

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via MSN to Immo Send a message via Yahoo to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
your calipers are nice, solid, heat-diffusing cast iron so they'll eventually show some surface rust. you can paint them with high temp paint. google search for "brake caliper paint" and you'll come up with several options.

The kit option comes with cleaning solvent and enough paint for all 4 calipers, but make sure you have a way to get your rears off fast before the paint hardener sets up...
Should I wire brush the rust prior to painting?

Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
WASSAB Member

n/a
Old 04-10-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

definitely wire brush it, then finish it with with some #00 steel wool. Then follow the directions on the can of cleaning solvent.

I'm preparing to do this in another month or so, so I can't give you any first-hand experience. I've read several posts about it on other boards and can tell you the main thing to watch for is getting too much solvent on the discs.

supposedly, you don't even have to take off the calipers to do the job, but I need to take mine off anyway, so I'm going to dismantle the whole thing. I think I'm going for yellow calipers because the car is currently ruby red metallic, but I hope to make it lightning blue metallic after a body kit. The yellow will work either way...
Old 04-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Yea, I would try what Mike suggested.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
TSLMember

I've been meaning to paint my calipers for a while, so I orders some G2 caliper paint. From what I've read its really easy. The paint kit usually runs $40, but there is a good selection on ebay for $23 and thats where I got mine. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
Smoked side markers
Meshed grill & bumper
Forge B.O.V.
Speedparts open air intake
Old 05-19-2004, 02:28 AM   #8
WASSAB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabotage
there is a good selection on ebay for $23 and thats where I got mine.
I got this from Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp

Quote:
NOTE: PaintSystem Sets have a shelf life of six months and must be used between 56-70°F (13-21°C) ambient temperatures.
I'm not sure if there is an Exp date, but FYI.... The stuff on e-Bay may be ready to expire...
Old 05-19-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Hmmmm....

I've been told:

o Brakes work by transforming kinetic energy into heat.
o The best brakes dissapate heat efficiently to avoid fade
o Heated brake fluid is less effective at maintaining hydraulic pressure.
o a rough cast surface has more exposed surface area than a smooth surface
o One of the benefits of an open spoke wheel design (vs. solid) is that they allow the brakes to cool more effectively.

So,

o doesn't painting your calipers insulate them and therefore make them less effective at dissapating heat?
o won't this make them also heat brake fluid more?
o does caliper paint have ingredients to allow them to transfer heat?
o doesn't the rough cast surface of your stock brakes radiate heat better than a smooth painted surface?

I like the look of painted calipers but I've been concerned about performance loss.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #10

I'm willing to bet that the majority of the heat shed by the brake system is off of the rotors, not the caliper. Especially if the rotor is vented - it would have several times the (rough) surface area of the caliper, and it's one of the parts that's actually getting heated up, whereas the caliper is just absorbing heat from the pads.

At any rate, I've painted calipers and did not notice any performance difference on the street or under hard, repeated braking. Also, I did not notice any difference in the rate of brake fluid deterioration.

A cheap alternative to the caliper painting kits is high temp engine paint. You can get a can of it for a fraction of the price that those kits cost. It requires more care in prep though, since it doesn't come with any fancy pre-paint cleaner or solvent.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:58 AM   #11
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Yea, I was just thinking about just using High Temp Engine paint. I think I'll try that, since I have about 3 cans of it just sitting around.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in