Ninehundredt's 87 SPG: Rebuild Project - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Customizing Your Classic 900

Customizing Your Classic 900 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #21
Elder

You could try some copper backing plates maybe:

4 inch Magnetic Copper Welding Backer

Welders Helper 3X3 Set Flat/Curve/AngleCop Plates
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #22
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I'm not having burn through problems anymore since I tweaked the settings on the welder, but these look helpful. I'll check them out. Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #23

Need Advice

I got some time to continue working on the floor repair this weekend, and spent this morning scraping more undercoating off. Of the two patches left on the passenger side, one is particularly tricky, and I could use some advice on how to go about it.

You can see in the photo below that the area I'm patching is directly above the jack spot (there is a noticeable overlap):

...and here's a shot from below:

You can see the surface rust on the jack mount metal in the first photo. My plan was to place the patch sheet metal along the remaining lip, but I'm concerned about future oxidation from the area below (jack mount / rocker panel). I have a feeling that cutting the jack mount out would be horrible overkill, and wondering if I can just get away with cleaning, etching, and POR-15'ing the jack mount in the top most portion. That will allow me to welding in replacement metal on the rocker at a later time.

I appreciate any advice if anyone has done this fix before.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #24
Elder

In converting your c900 to t5, will you be utilizing a bpc? Or just using a manual boost controller?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
In converting your c900 to t5, will you be utilizing a bpc? Or just using a manual boost controller?
I've got all of the needed T5 parts from a turbo car, so BPC. I've actually been debating keeping the SPG stock, and saving the Trionic parts for another later model c900.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
You can see in the photo below that the area I'm patching is directly above the jack spot (there is a noticeable overlap):

You can see the surface rust on the jack mount metal in the first photo. My plan was to place the patch sheet metal along the remaining lip, but I'm concerned about future oxidation from the area below (jack mount / rocker panel). I have a feeling that cutting the jack mount out would be horrible overkill, and wondering if I can just get away with cleaning, etching, and POR-15'ing the jack mount in the top most portion. That will allow me to welding in replacement metal on the rocker at a later time.

I appreciate any advice if anyone has done this fix before.
I'm no expert and have never done proper welded patches myself, but I wouldn't cut any more out. It looks very solid and you don't want a bigger headache than necessary. So just clean (needle-gun, wire wheel, etc) the remaining rust and coat it as best you can.
'93 900T Comm.Ed#119
'83 900T 5M 4dr
'87 900S 5M Notch
'88 900S 5M 4dr
'91 & '93 900S 5M 3dr
Parted/scrapped: '82 4dr, '85 3dr,
'86 2dr, '86 3dr, '87 4dr, '90 T3dr.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosaab View Post
I'm no expert and have never done proper welded patches myself, but I wouldn't cut any more out. It looks very solid and you don't want a bigger headache than necessary. So just clean (needle-gun, wire wheel, etc) the remaining rust and coat it as best you can.
Thanks for the feedback. After I thought about it some more, I think that I can get away with welding the patch in first, and then cleaning, etching, and sealing that area of the undercarriage afterwards. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get back to it this coming weekend.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #28
Flirting With TSL Addiction

First of all, awesome work so far, so glad someone else thinks these old cars are worth the effort.

As for the question, I think you easily have enough cut out to weld in the clean metal. I only cut so far away from the rot on my convertible because I had the whole corner of the car for parts and I tied it in to some natural breaks to make it a little stronger.

That jack point does not look bad at all, I would be inclined to keep as much original metal as possible.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #29
Elder

I know I haven't posted much progress on my build thread, but have you completed any more chris?

I also bought a set of wheels from a guy on monday for Hilary's car. He has a 1990 spg that he's restoring and daily driving another c900
Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I know I haven't posted much progress on my build thread, but have you completed any more chris?

I also bought a set of wheels from a guy on monday for Hilary's car. He has a 1990 spg that he's restoring and daily driving another c900
Hey John. No unfortunately life has been a bit busy lately. I've got most of the floor welding finished. I'm moving in the next couple of weeks and should get some more time in on the car. Hopefully can update this thread soon.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #31
Elder

moving back to the states??
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #32

Nah....just closer to the kids. Bigger house with larger garage and a full basement (i.e. more room to store my SAAB parts collection).
Old 07-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #33
TSLMember

Looks pretty good, looks just like mine. My floors weren't too bad on mine but the pass door has some rot on the bottom and the fenders are just starting. Still runs like a top with 340ks on the odo and every thing works but the air con.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #34
TSLMember

So your in canada too, I'm in manitoba you must be farther east.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg saab View Post
Looks pretty good, looks just like mine. My floors weren't too bad on mine but the pass door has some rot on the bottom and the fenders are just starting. Still runs like a top with 340ks on the odo and every thing works but the air con.
Fortunately I don't have too much rust, but my door bottoms were bad enough that I threw the doors out. Hoping that I can rotisserie the car (a la Jon Williams) and fix everything before the repaint. I really want the car to be as clean as possible.

Are you planning on fixing your trouble spots?

Quote:
So your in canada too, I'm in manitoba you must be farther east.
Haha very far east! I'm in Waterloo, Ontario.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #36
TSLMember

Yup going to bend up some metal and fixer up. I still have enough metal there to repair it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14686805713581213911873_1468680666189.jpg (382.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #37
TSLMember

So you had some mystery wires by the vac bottle too, have no idea what these are for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1468680951882347031248_1468680970158.jpg (397.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #38

Yeah my doors looked about the same. I just figured it would be too much trouble to fix. Not really sure what those wires are for. I've removed the entire harness at this point, as it needs repair.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #39

Quote:
So you had some mystery wires by the vac bottle too, have no idea what these are for.
I believe those would run up to a siren for a factory alarm, if installed
Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #40
TSLMember

Ah makes sense, well can't wait to see more progress on the 87 nine hundredt I'll be checking in to see the progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in