Fuel pump died - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
Fuel pump died

Driving around Saturday, put around 90 miles on the car doing errands and stuff. Stop at scrubway for some dinner, go back out to the car. Turns over, sputters and dies. Crank away and nothing. Starter sounds fine, it's a brand-new battery, and while it was ridiculously cold here I had been driving all day no problem.

Called my ex for a lift, she has a '95 9000CS 2.3t, so I figured I'd eliminate the DI cartridge right away. Swapped them around (in 5 degree weather with god knows how cold a windchill), nothing. So I knew it wasn't the DI. Got it towed to dealership.

They just called me a bit ago and said it was the fuel pump, which is what I was afraid of. Looking at around $500 for the part alone, plus labor. It's just too damn cold here to replace it myself.

They also said the starter might be going out, likely thanks to trying to crank a dry engine. Hoping that holds out til spring so I can replace it myself.

Anyway thought I'd share. I got no warning at all. Spent all day driving around doing errands and she was running beautifully, no cold morning starting issues or sputtering or anything. When the pump goes, it just goes without warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Elder

had the same thing happen...job takes about 2 hours...too bad you cant do it yourself cuz you can get the cartridge (part that fails) for like 100 or so and the job really is easy....

check eeuro for the part...i definetly dont think i full pump piece is 500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I've been down this road before too. You can get the whole pump assembly for around $380 from eeuroparts and just the electric pump is around $80 I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Thats the problem with electric fuel pumps...

The use the fuel in the tank as a coolant, so if you drive a lot with low fuel (1/8th of a tank or less) in the tank often it will wear out and die prematurely from operating too hot

I never do this, but I am considering topping off my tank at the half mark, instead of waiting until it goes low from now on.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #5

Are you planning any power upgrades in the future? Now's a good time to upgrade to a Walbro 255 pump.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #6

Nah not going to do anything major with it, just the usual chip/exhaust stuff. The car bonestock is already going to clean up on import drag days, so doing anything beyond the bolt-ons isn't necessary for my goals with it.

I know I was going to get hosed at the dealer. It's just way too damn cold out for me to do any garage work, even with a flamethrower heater that I have. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and have them do it then save the money and freeze my ass off
Old 02-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
JK
Elder

Freezin the ass off hasn't been fun for me this last week - been trying to do stupid brakes on my parent's Honda accord (who the hell designed the brakes on those things?!?!?). As far as that price, I'd hope $500 would be for the fuel pump installed...because I can't imagine it costing that much, even from the stealership

PS - where is a local drag strip that they have import nights at?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
When mine died I went to the local stealer lookin for the part and they wanted $550 for it! Now figure labor at 90/hr...no thanks. I waited a day to get one from eeuroparts and had my indy install it.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
PS - where is a local drag strip that they have import nights at?
Oh yes. Would love to cook some rice..
Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #10

Rock Falls Raceway, it's near Eau Claire WI. Don't worry, when the season starts I'll start posting up about it and we'll roll Swedish torque out there and stomp the stupid ricers. It's hilarious when they do bracket racing. There's like two to five cars in the 12, 13, 14 second brackets, 5 or six in the 15 and 16 second brackets, and then dozens in the 17+ brackets LOL. Silly ricers.

I know I got hosed taking it to the dealership. I just didn't have the patience to wait to have it worked on at Andrews or something. And actually, I lost a lot of car enthusiasm over the last few months due to political bullshit, so it's been hard for me to get motivated to even do an oil change. The starter, mounts, and control arm bushings I'll do once it warms up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in