Car runs like crap at my altitude. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to dynaskiaero
Car runs like crap at my altitude.

I've been driving my car like this for months but I don't have much of a choice. I been living near Mammoth Lakes, California at 7500 feet and driving from around 7300 to 9000 feet all the time. Daily commute is 7400 feet to 8300 feet. Anyway I have replace a LOT of parts in the car and it hasn't made a difference for the altitude problems. Primary symptoms are Bad starts and sluggish performance, starts up at 400 rpm or lower and will run like crap until I give it gas. This makes it idle normally. The car also behaves sluggishly unless you rev it above 3000 rpms. On hills if you're stopped and take off its almost impossible to launch at a normal speed and if you slip at a low rpm it boggs wayy down and you can give it full throttle and it will do virtually nothing unless you rev it up and slip at a higher rpm which is a major pain in the ass. I have replaced the o2 sensors, plugs, and coolant temp sensor in the last few months. The car also has a JT 3 inch system all the way from the turbo and a recently replaced clutch with a bent pressure plate which I boogered myself. The clutch might have something or a lot to do with my take off problems. Recently its also started to misfire a little when its cold. I have no idea what the problem is, and theres no one around here with a tech 2. I could bring it to Walter Wong in LA but then the car runs fine down there and therefore he can't fix an issue thats not occurring. Need I say that my car passed the smog test about a week ago in Bishop, California at 4000 feet which is quite a bit lower. Help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Elder

Have JZW tune it for you. I think he's a high altitude guy as well and might have some ideas on what to reflash to improve things.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Moderator

That's a bummer. Give some free lift tickets to DrewP (and a couple to me brokering the deal) and we'll be up before season's end.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i would try to fix the hardware before a tune. Stock cars can still run at alitude ok.

That being said, Start with a good tune up,, you really cant diag these things untill you do,,

How many miles are on it? could it be a compression issue? just for giggles take a compression reading with it at altitude, i wonder what the lower air pressure will do to the numbers
Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I lived out in Laramie Wyoming. For a year with my 9k. And while the Turbo worked harder it seemed to idle just fine fuel Milagros was normal and it did not seem to loose much if any power
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Elder

Have you looked at all your vacuum lines very closely? Also the pcv check valve at the TB.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
Have JZW tune it for you. I think he's a high altitude guy as well and might have some ideas on what to reflash to improve things.
I would have him tune it but I'm a ways from CO
Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
i would try to fix the hardware before a tune. Stock cars can still run at alitude ok.

That being said, Start with a good tune up,, you really cant diag these things untill you do,,

How many miles are on it? could it be a compression issue? just for giggles take a compression reading with it at altitude, i wonder what the lower air pressure will do to the numbers
It should have good compression its only at 92,000 right now I got it at 83,000 and it did sit for a long time. Seems to run great at altitudes lower than 4000 feet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in