Cooling fan not working. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
TSLMember

Cooling fan not working.

My car overheated the other day driving through the mountain. When I stopped to let her cool off I noticed that my cooling fan was not running. Any help as where to start? Checked the fuses, They are all good.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
How about the fan relay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
McQ
TSLMember

Send a message via Yahoo to McQ
On drivers side of radiator is a fan switch, jump those two wires and fan should come on. If not check 2 pin connectors going to fans (near bottom of radiator), then apply 12 volts to fan motors directly, if still nothing the fan motor is bad. Mine usually go out in hottest months. Oops re-read and yours is 9000, i gave info for 900 disregard.

Last edited by McQ; 07-27-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: can't read plain English

Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

what year 9k? The cooling fans/circuits changed a few times through the years
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Cheap fix is a switch inside car. Ive been running it that way for 2 years .I would predict most likely that the fan motor itself is fine.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
TSLMember

it is a 1994. Thanks for the help, id rather not run a switch inside the car. I have done that before twice. just dont feel like it would rather it fixed.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

I’m having a problem with the fan on my 93 Aero. I still haven’t totally fixed it, but I’m on track. I think I have a bad thermostat and will replace it this weekend.

There is a thermoswitch on the right (passenger) side of the radiator. If you follow the wiring down towards the bottom of the radiator, you’ll find where it plugs into the car’s harness. Disconnect the plug. If the connectors and wires are crusty and corroded, then clean/replace as needed.

Run a jumper wire between the solid blue and black wires… see if that turns the fan on.

If so, then your problem is that the car doesn’t “know” that the coolant in the radiator is hot… and therefore there’s likely a problem with the thermoswitch or the thermostat.

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
TSLMember

fan

Well after pricing a fan relay and trying to diagnose whats wrong. Im confused on what wire your talkin about, solid blue and solid black, i see the blacks but not a solid blue one. ive made the decision to run a switch to the fan, any help on what wires should be where???
Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

Did you find the connector near the bottom of the radiator? The wires that run to the connector (on the car side) should be different colors.

If somebody's already hacked them up, though, then you're in trouble.

Edit to add link:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/9kfan.pdf

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue

Last edited by dantinne; 08-12-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
TSLMember

yea i found that im pretty sure, I hope so. There are two wires under my car that for some reason are just dangling, going to try and locate where they originate this weekend when i got more time. How about rigging a switch, just find a good ground and start testing im guessin.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
SAABeginner

I have same problem in my 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t, but what I noticed is the fans start working as I turn on the AC, but after I restart car they again stop working, so can some one send me instructions to get this tested and fixed, Dantinne can you please send PDF document for 2001 Saab 95 so I can diagnose the problem, it seems like a relay problem or temperature sensor, but I don't even know where they are located on my car, so please help with images and diagrams
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Elder

I ended up having an indy rewire a new fuse and relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjones View Post
it is a 1994. Thanks for the help, id rather not run a switch inside the car. I have done that before twice. just dont feel like it would rather it fixed.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
your question is in the wrong section...but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Barlas View Post
I have same problem in my 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t, but what I noticed is the fans start working as I turn on the AC, but after I restart car they again stop working, so can some one send me instructions to get this tested and fixed, Dantinne can you please send PDF document for 2001 Saab 95 so I can diagnose the problem, it seems like a relay problem or temperature sensor, but I don't even know where they are located on my car, so please help with images and diagrams
9-5 has two different fans, not a single with low/high speed like the 9000 and 9-3. I'd start with swapping relays around first, but it's more likely the low speed fan is dead, the fuse is popped, or the relay is dead.

There's no resistor like the older cars.

**quote from the saabsite***

Saab Radiator Cooling Fan Issues:

The Saab 9-5 uses two electric radiator fans that both run simultaneously at the same speed, and can be off, low, or high speed, based on inputs from the engine temperature sensor and the air conditioning system pressure sensor. The fans can be off as the engine warms up, but if the a/c system is charged with freon and running, the fans should start almost immediately. While each fan has only two wires connecting it to the electrical system, the fan speed is dynamically controlled by the 12 volt power automatically being fed to these fans either in series (effectively 6 volts to each fan) for low speed, or in parallel (12 volts to each fan) for high speed. The downside to this design is that when they are fed power in series, if one fan stops working, the second fan will not run when the car calls for low-speed fans. Like Christmas tree lights that were wired in series, when one goes out, they both are out. Fan failures can be caused by an electrical dead spot in the motor, or by worn bearings, and the problem can be intermittent. The key indicator of a problem is if one fan runs and the other doesn't.

This problem is more difficult to detect because the dashboard temperature gauge is essentially programmed to have only three positions: cold, a wide "normal" range (locked in at 9 o'clock on the dash gauge), and hot. The gauge may show in normal range, especially in cooler weather, even with a defective fan. Symptoms of a defective cooling fan may include rough idle when stopped with the transmission in "drive" and the a/c compressor is on, which results in surges of high-side pressure, leading to an A/C leak, or a seized A/C compressor, and/or sudden serpentine belt breakage. It can also result in a burst radiator or coolant hose, and premature battery failure due to higher-than-normal under-hood temperatures. When driving, natural airflow through the radiator and condenser can mask these symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fan, hotwire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in