mb Quart front speaker set needing crossover repaired - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

mb Quart front speaker set needing crossover repaired

Hi I have obtained a set of MB Quart front speakers for my Saab 9k. They're used so I expected non-A1 condition.

Speakers themselves appear good, but one of the seperate crossover units isn't and the internals appear to have come away and are loose.

I'm trying to get the black plastic casing to come apart and it seems that as well as little tabs that have been melted down, the lid and base (which holds the terminals for the wiring to attach to) seem to also be glued together.

Has anyone taken these casings apart before?

Here's a pic showing a close-up look at the crossover casings...

flickr page

I think I can work the casing so the two sections come apart, but I want to try not to break it so I can re-assemble the crossover back into it's original casing if possible.

Craig.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to DanF.

Hot knife, or find a piece of wire (metal exposed... old cheese cutter works great for this)
and heat it up with a big candle or bunsen burner, then use it to melt away the parting line of the plastic case.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

I don't think I have anything like that. Don't have any way to heat using a flame (no gas source).

WHat I might try is carefully hacksaw around the join line. I suspect that even if the main part of the casing breaks I could use a new box about the same size from an electronics supplier (Jaycar here in Australia, for example).

I'll try to get the casing open without damaging it though.

Craig.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Those look ancient lol, I have a set of MB Quart components in my dash from about 5 years ago, still sound awesome, fyi though, if your allow for adjustment of the tweeters, crank them down once you get it sorted, unless you have a comparable speaker set in the rear, the highs will be much brighter if they are at all like mine, if they are working properly, you'll be pleased. Sorry i don't have any better advice as my crossovers are much larger and have a clear casing on them.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #5

I ended up working out how to take the crossover cases apart so there was little or no damage. They can be closed up again as I prised them apart around the join using a flat screwdriver starting from the mounting lip at the back which turned out to be unglued on both.

The problem was an air-cored coil which had broken away from the PCB due to the glue holding it to the PCB having failed and the thin wires to the coil breaking from fatigue.

I sorted that out, re-epoxied all the components, re-soldered all the solder joints that looked suspect (plus the two for the coil I re-mounted), and did the same to the other crossover. It's air-core coil was still attached to the PCB by it's wires but the glue had come away already. That's all been fixed.

I installed the speakers last night and tested them out on the way to work before sun-up this morning with a new Alpine 9886 head unit sitting on the floor of the passenger side with the harness I made up (plugs into the factory wiring connectors) linking it into the car's wiring. All worked fine.

The cheap-arse speakers I removed were tossed in the bin, though I might retrieve them and salvage the magnets as they could be useful (then toss what's left over).

The crossover housings for the MB quart speakers aren't screwed to anything and I just found a convenient place to sit each one inside the dash. I will probably cable-tie them to the air ducting when I mount the head unit and hide all the wiring.

Craig.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

ah - taking me back a few years - I had an entire car full of MB Quart speakers.
6x9, 3.5, 5", and tweeters. Plus two 15s. They are amazing speakers - but they were just waaaaaay too expensive at the time they came out, and no one could afford them. I got my whole set from my brother who owned a car audio/and installation shop.

Fast forward 13 years - my younger cousin is still rocking that same set of speakers, and they still sound great.

I'll ask my brother if he remembers anything about their internals - but I dont think he ever had to rip any of these apart because no one bought them, and they didnt break!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in