Rear Doors Stuck? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Svenska94Aero
Rear Doors Stuck?

Okay, my rear doors are still stuck closed. I checked the locking system fuse, and it's still fine. I can pull on the handles, either inside or outside, and they come out to a point where they seem should release the catch, but the door itself just doesn't move. It's like someone put a deadbolt into them or something. anyway, it's really holding me up, as I need to get my c-pillars and headliner out and redone before the SIS show this year, and i can't remove the c-pillars without removing the seatbelts which i can't remove without moving the seats which I can't do with the rear doors closed....whew, you get the point. any pointers? if not, i'll just run it down to the saab guy and see if he can do something without charging an arm and a leg. thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
TSLMember

I had to remove the rear seats, removed all fixings for the door panel then pulled the panel away from the bottom rear of the door and reached up inside to pull the "arm" thats connects to the locking motor, have fun..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Elder

I know this is stupid... but any chance you just aren't pulling hard enough on the outside? the inside could have child locks on that would make it not work but on the outside i know on my gf's 9k the right side rear door requires a real hard pull (almost think you will pull the handle off). Don't worry about pulling it off though as if you do that will at least allow you to pop the latch manually. or take the latch on the inside apart and try that way..

Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Elder

Love those 9000 handles / locks. Of all the great stuff designed on those cars, the handles and locks suck wicked haaad.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I know this is stupid... but any chance you just aren't pulling hard enough on the outside? the inside could have child locks on that would make it not work but on the outside i know on my gf's 9k the right side rear door requires a real hard pull (almost think you will pull the handle off). Don't worry about pulling it off though as if you do that will at least allow you to pop the latch manually. or take the latch on the inside apart and try that way..
Its the little plastic clip holding the linkage to the door that normaly breaks so the motor cant pull or push the lock open.

As for pulling the handle off its bolted from the inside so would need some effort to do this.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Elder

When the door handles go bad on the 9000, I've found that pushing in on the door and pulling out on the handle will help.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
When the door handles go bad on the 9000, I've found that pushing in on the door and pulling out on the handle will help.
Agreed...My driver side door wont open unless I push on the frame directly above the handle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

I took the rear passenger door handle off my parts car with a hammer to get the door open. Took bout 30 mins to beat it off those things are solid metal
Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #9

Doors stuck

Had the same problem- With the window down, remove the outer window seal on the door and look down at the mechanism with a flash light. You'll have to snag the arm on the little gizmo that releases the door latch. My mechanical child proof lock "switch" on the door near the latch was frozen between the two positions. That Parts Blaster PB kinda liquid wrench stuff works pretty good. Loosen it up with that, then white Lithium grease.

Last edited by bobg450; 03-16-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: with the window down, DUH
Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
yeah, definitely, i had that problem with all my handles before, where i really had to yank on the handles to get them to open. i was the only one who could get into the car, even if the doors weren't locked. but now i can yank on them and lever on them and they just don't budge. thanks for the idea, though!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
Elder

alrighty, i finally got around to looking into this: i spent 3 hours yesterday afternoon in 20-degree weather with a -10 windchill fixing the problem. i had to pull all the crap out of my hatch area and lay it on a pallet in my driveway. I then crawled in the hatch and over the back seats to remove the lower portions of the seats. then I pulled out the seat backs, and put all of it in another heap in my yard. I then was able to yank off the door panels and I pulled out the stupid foam sheet so i could see better. i was stunned at how much dust there was accumulated inside the door itself! looks like i'll have to get some baby wipes or something and clean everything down before i put it back together. on the passenger side, i found a pivot point on the lock linkage had broken (just a little plastic rivet) and the linkage had jammed, so that it wouldn't unlock anymore. i just yanked out that part of the linkage, since i didn't have an extra rivet. so the passenger side rear door can't be manually unlocked, but the power locks still work. the driver's side was weirder. i had everything pulled apart, and couldn't find anything wrong, but the door still wouldn't open from the inside. i had my brother yank on the door from the outside and it sprung right open, like nothing had ever happened. wth? i didn't even do anything to it, but now it opens from the outside, so no big deal. i guess something's screwed up in the child safety latch, so it won't allow me to open it from the inside. oh well. now im trying to decide if i want to put my rear seats/door panels back in, or strip everything down? any ideas how much weight i'd save by stripping everything from the back of the front seats back? except for the headliner, of course, which i will hopefully have pulled and sueded this week. thanks for all your help!
Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
SAABeginner

anybody know why my sab 9-3 estate rear hatch or fuel filler wont open on the key i have checked the fuse
Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #13

Friends used to say you have to open it like cj from San Andreas. Pulled the back seats once with the doors shut also. I believe it was Mike who said it ..push the door hard by the latch and pull the handle. Wd40 in the latch makes it work so easy it will blow your mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in