Removing the ETS (Electronic Throttle System) aka - TCS - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
Elder

Removing the ETS (Electronic Throttle System) aka - TCS

as posted by rally900 on Saab Central

Ever considering removing that pesky TCS that never works? Well now there's a way!

Quote:
You're removing the ETS (Electronic Throttle System) from the car:

1. Remove ETS ECU from the car (located below the driver's seat). Move driver's seat (they only came with electric adjust) all the way forward and up for proper access.

2. Install '91 LH box, throttle body, throttle cable. Latter two can also come from a '94 FPT model, '95-'97 LPT model, or '96-'98 FPT model (i.e. newer 9k turbos without ETS).

3. Add TPS and AIC from LH2.4.2 car.

4. Add wiring for TPS and AIC to engine wiring harness, or swap to '91 harness.

5. Install non-ETS engine temp sensor (NTC). Tweak engine wiring harness accordingly, or swap to '91 harness.

6. Install standard gas pedal from any non-ETS 9000.

7. If the car has an auto tranny, remove the kick-down motor and set up the kick-down cable as required for a non-ETS car. Also remove the ASR ECU (box responsible for operating the kick-down motor), which lives on top of the ETS ECU inder the driver's seat.

8. Remove extraneous ETS vacuum valves (one at the false-firewall, one on the driver's side inner fender), and route new vacuum hoses as required for non-ETS cars (manifold to FPR, manifold to dash gauge, manifold to hooter valve).

** At this point, the car will start and run like a '91. Several minor issues are left:

9. In order for the a/c to work as designed, several tweaks are necessary in the wiring harnesses for the engine (if not swapped for a '91 harness) and the engine compartment. You can hack the existing wiring for a quick fix to allow the a/c compressor to kick in by jumpering two terminals at the now-defunct ETS ECU connector.

10. "TCS CTRL" light will be permanently illuminated. Either remove the bulb from the dash cluster, or if the car is a 5-speed, install the ABS box from a 1992 automatic, or a 1992 non-turbo 5-speed (41 07 363).

11. The car will have no cruise control. To install the standard vacuum-type SAAB cruise system, all components (except pedal switches), wiring, and vacuum hoses must be installed from scratch. To install the throttle actuator (vacuum-sucker thing that pulls the throttle cable via a short chain), the ETS pedal potentiometer must be removed and its steel mounting peg cut off from the pedal bracket. On the one I did, I used bits of the old ETS wiring to connect the cruise bits together, i.e. the cruise ECU ended up living in the spot under the driver's seat where the ETS ECU used to live.

Some steps are a little different for 1993-1995 ETS cars with Trionic.

You definitely need a '91 LH ECU. The '92 LH ECU is missing the necessary circuitry to read the TPS signal, and to control the IAC valve. This is what causes most of the drivability problems during episodes of ETS limp-home mode.

James
Team Saabworks
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Elder

Thumbs up

Update via a e-mail from mike d
Quote:
I did something very smiler to your TCS conversion awhile back on my 1992 9000 turbo, and i have some things that can be added to your right up

first of all, if you do not remove the TCS computer, you can use the original ABS ECU,, and not throw any lights,, just let the 2 of them sit around together ABS will still work this way

secondly on my 1992 i did not need to change the fuel/Jetronic computer, the car runs fine with it in, and i have tried both computers and have not seen any performance benefit,, however i also don't have AC so this could be a factor,

third,, the throttle cable is a pain to remove/replace,, however the TCS throttle cable can be modified to fit with a 75 cent part from the local hardware store.
this will save loads of time on the install

the non TCS pedal is still needed though

best wishes
mike d
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Elder

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
i guess i was that kind sole...

procedure used to be up here as a sticky, but i dont know what happined.

-youll need to change the throttle pedal,
-adapt the TCS throttle cable, or add a non TCS cable,
--------HELPFULL HINT----------, when pulling out the a new cable from the local boneyard, pull the cable from the actual cable itself, not from the outer housing, once the cable has been disconnect from all sources, it simply pulls out of the firewall, however pulling from the housing will brake the housing every single time, when pulling from the inner cable, the Barb on the other end more pushs the housing though, and does not brake anything

-transplant wireing harness from bulkhead forward,
-add non TCS TB
-change coolent temp sencer to non TCS sencer

-add pins in both in the jetronic ECU plug, and in the circular plug that goes though the bulkhead, pins can be removed from old TCS wireing harness, there tricky to remove at first, but once you get the hang of it, your golden

however, you can have a running driveing car with nothing more than a TB change to a non TCS style.

however it wont run well, it will be like not having you AIC and TPS plugged in,

-also the 1992 jetronic computer isnt set up to take either the AIC or TPS, so a 1991 ecu is helpfull, the car will run with the 1992 ECU, but again, just not as well.

- the DI/APC computer is the same part number, so im asuming that it doesnt care.

included is a link to the wireing diagram i used to set up the TPS, as far as the AIC valve goes, ive had the best luck running a c900 8v aux air valve (much more reliable than an AIC)

after all this you can remove the ETS computer, all the extra check valves, re fit car with proper vac line routeing, and life is good.

extra credit:::: i also ground pin 13 from the ETS ECU plug, the ETS system diagrams i have says this is grounded when no faults apear. and apon grounding you can hear a relay click. im not certain exactly what this does, but it just seams like a good idea.

wireing diagram

Also see Thread Here for more conversation:
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread...d=1#post623097

Updated Sticky 5-10-2009
for your repair needs

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Elder

Yeah, I've read that and even PM'd Miked and it's just not clicking with me. Blonde moment (blonde hour?) I guess.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Elder

CDEaero converted his 93 cd to T5 94 aero specs, by moving around like 5 wires and swapping engines!
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Elder

Got it. Did it Mike's way. Just so it's clear, a hard pull on the throttle cable itself is an understatement. A REAL hard pull is about right. One of the two I attempted was saved.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
SAABeginner

TCS/ETC System Removal on 93 Aero????

My friend has a 93 Aero 9000 5-Speed Manual.
>The "TCS Control" light is on
>The "Check Engine" Light is on (Flashes 5 times on key "on")

-It will not start unless you give it at least half throttle
-The throttle is incredibly un-responsive
-It BARELY Idles on it's own
-A quick depression of the throttle makes it bog down quickly, misfire and sometimes just stall.
-If you maintain a constant RPM with the throttle it runs perfectly smooth
-Reving it up in the 3-5k Rpm range it runs almost perfect. (Still a slight lagging throttle response)

Is this related to the Traction Control System or more importantly the Electronic Throttle System????
Would reverting to non-TCS/ETC make this thing run?

We also have a complete 96 9000 CSE with the 2.3 Turbo engine for parts.
It is a non TCS car w/ABS Its an automatic transmission.

What besides the Throttle Pedal, Throttle Body, Throttle Cable and ABS unit can I take from the 1996 9000 CSE for the TCS/ETS removal on the 1993 Aero? Harness?(The 93 Aero (TCS/ETC Car) Is OBDII, has a engine bay harness that goes right through the false firewall and plugs into to engine computer and another control unit.

Last edited by AERO9k93; 11-02-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
TSLMember

Easy Fix?????

i would like to know the story and history on this car!! It's a 1992 Saab 9000cd griffin edition. It has a little gold plack by the ignition that says #189 of 400. I just bought this thing and its been acting up. I've been told its the throttle body. the tcs light is on and wont idle and seems to need more air. I was also told i can buy throttle body cleaner for an easy fix. Please help!! I love everything about this car.... the looks, the ride, the gadgets, and the mileage!! ( ALSO: Recently the blower motor has died. Would you be so kind to tell me where it's located so I can replace it!) Thank you sooooo much!!
Aaron
Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to IceTea
I wanna do this on my 1993... Heard it can't be done.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTea View Post
I wanna do this on my 1993... Heard it can't be done.

Did you even read this thread? There's a required parts list and a wiring diagram for you to follow and everything.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Elder

so i am confused as all billy hell........

I removed the 1992 bulkhead-forward wiring harness from the 1992 motor (trans and engine are both out, while I also convert from slushbox to 5-speed.), and installed the bulkhead-forward wiring harness from the 1991 motor which already has wiring for the TPS and IAC valve, BUT it does not tie in to the factory DI / APC ECU under the bulkhead in the 1992, and there are no connections on the 1991 harness to connect in the crank position sensor; that was done on the DI harness on the 1991. The 1992 ties it into the bulkhead harness with the round connection.

I'm mega-lost on what harness I should be using; if its easier to just take the 1992 stuff and add the wiring, then the 1991 ECU, or whether I can somehow through some festivus miracle, make all of the 1991 bits (harnesses and ECU's) work on this 1992 in a plug & play manner.

help.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO9k93 View Post
My friend has a 93 Aero 9000 5-Speed Manual.
>The "TCS Control" light is on
>The "Check Engine" Light is on (Flashes 5 times on key "on")

-It will not start unless you give it at least half throttle
-The throttle is incredibly un-responsive
-It BARELY Idles on it's own
-A quick depression of the throttle makes it bog down quickly, misfire and sometimes just stall.
-If you maintain a constant RPM with the throttle it runs perfectly smooth
-Reving it up in the 3-5k Rpm range it runs almost perfect. (Still a slight lagging throttle response)

Is this related to the Traction Control System or more importantly the Electronic Throttle System????
Would reverting to non-TCS/ETC make this thing run?

We also have a complete 96 9000 CSE with the 2.3 Turbo engine for parts.
It is a non TCS car w/ABS Its an automatic transmission.

What besides the Throttle Pedal, Throttle Body, Throttle Cable and ABS unit can I take from the 1996 9000 CSE for the TCS/ETS removal on the 1993 Aero? Harness?(The 93 Aero (TCS/ETC Car) Is OBDII, has a engine bay harness that goes right through the false firewall and plugs into to engine computer and another control unit.
I'm having the same issues mentioned above with my fathers 95 aero. TCS on the fritz?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Does anyone have instructions how to do it on an 1995 T5.5 aero?
It seems quite clear on the T5.2 but how about the T5.5?

Thanks Timo
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
so i am confused as all billy hell........

I removed the 1992 bulkhead-forward wiring harness from the 1992 motor (trans and engine are both out, while I also convert from slushbox to 5-speed.), and installed the bulkhead-forward wiring harness from the 1991 motor which already has wiring for the TPS and IAC valve, BUT it does not tie in to the factory DI / APC ECU under the bulkhead in the 1992, and there are no connections on the 1991 harness to connect in the crank position sensor; that was done on the DI harness on the 1991. The 1992 ties it into the bulkhead harness with the round connection.

I'm mega-lost on what harness I should be using; if its easier to just take the 1992 stuff and add the wiring, then the 1991 ECU, or whether I can somehow through some festivus miracle, make all of the 1991 bits (harnesses and ECU's) work on this 1992 in a plug & play manner.

help.
ive done the swap before,, although im not sure i follow what the issue is.

1991 and 1992s both have the circular plug, its just located in different spots. in the bulkhead

some wires need to be added from the circular plug, to the jetronic ecu. primarly wires for the TPS and AIC. It will never be plug and play, but 6 wires isnt all that bad.

i seam to remember 1992s haveing the DI indipendent of the main engine loom. but its been a few years
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timotn View Post
Does anyone have instructions how to do it on an 1995 T5.5 aero?
It seems quite clear on the T5.2 but how about the T5.5?

Thanks Timo
Really simple you need to get these parts

throttle body
AIC
Gas pedal
throttle cable
1995 non TCS 9000 engine bay harness
non TCS ecu

Remove everything listed above from you current car
install all the non TCS parts
drive
Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #16
SAABeginner

I don't know why does not charge booster
This car 94''9000 aero
Help me!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
SAABeginner

94 manual Saab 9000 finish setting Ets and
No charging turbo boost.
Is it wrong setting ets?
Or others hardwere was out of order?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #18
Elder

Does the ETS / TCS system work correctly, or is it in limp mode?

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old Today, 02:09 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Thank You! This method save my money and I don't wanna spend money on such things. because you have to maintain the monthly budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in