Starter drawing too much juice? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Elder

Starter drawing too much juice?

The starter in my car has always been mega loud but always functioned normally. Is it possible that a starter as it gets older could draw more and more current until even a healthy battery doesnt have enough juice to turn over the engine?
The battery in my car is only a few months old but in these cold cold cold mornings I'll only get maybe half a crank but once I jump it with another car in two minutes theres enough power to turn over the engine. Ive tested for excessive electrical draw with the car off and pulling the fuses one by one and didnt find anything drawing more amps than it should.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Elder

Yes, possible.

Do you know if these are brushed DC motors? I've never paid too much attention. Either way, a coil fault or brush wear could cause what you're describing. Doesn't mean that's the only possibility, but could cause what you're describing and there's no fuse or breaker on the feed to limit draw if I'm thinking correctly.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 01-19-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Elder

Okay thanks, second question, Ive read elsewhere that the starter needs to come out from the bottom meaning the car needs to go on jackstands. Please tell that it come out from the top!

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"

Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Have you done a starter test? Most auto parts stores will do it for free.

You may be able to wiggle the starter out from the top if you unbolt the strut bar.
But I am fairly certain you would need to unbolt the starter from under the car.
The intake manifold and everything around it are in the way.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Elder

Bleh okay, Ive got a good used starter I can swap in. Worst case I only loose my time over it

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Elder

I have an update to this issue, for the past maybe two weeks the car has been starting fine in the mornings, except for today. It was about 3 degrees and it just didn't happen, I got a jump and drove a total of 15 miles before I shut it off. About 5 hours later my brother goes to use to get himself to work and its dead again. At about 8 he leaves work and SURPRISE its dead again. Once he got home I checked the cells to see if one was low and while all of them where full the one closest to the positive terminal had the rotten egg smell. The battery is a 47 size with 600 cc at 0 degrees. I still need to swap out the loud starter but the starter is really all I have to go on. Ive checked the car for a short when off and found nothing so Im really at a loss.

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Elder

Small update with the car off there's about 200 miliamps draw. Is that a normal amount? How much voltage drop should I see when the engine is cranking?

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Depends on time frame, but sounds pretty close.
Saab new gearation 900 battery test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in