Viggen Motor - Loud Tapping Noise Video - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Viggen Motor - Loud Tapping Noise Video

So I have been running my built Viggen now for about 6 months and all seemed to be going well until about a week ago. The temperatures were very low, either in the teens or a bit lower, and as soon as I started her up, I heard a very loud tapping noise. Once the car warmed up, it went away, so I attributed it to cold oil (5W-40 Rotella) and a noisy lifter. Now about a week later with temps back up into the 30s and 40s, this noise has not gone away! Each start up begins with a terribly loud tapping, and after about 30 seconds to a minute quiets down to a lower constant tapping. All I know is that it matches RPM and it sounds like it's coming from the front end of the motor, maybe on the timing chain side.

The motor was built with JE pistons, has T5 cams, no issues before with the timing pieces and they have less than 10k on them. I dropped the oil pan after my last oil change about 800 miles ago and everything looked clean, there was minimal blockage of the pick up.

Anybody have any idea? I initially thought lifter but now I'm not sure. Could it be an exhaust leak from the manifold? It sounds to me like a metal on metal sound.

Here is a link to a video with the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccg9PCQ5XQw
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

It is probably one of two things:

1. An exhaust leak at the manifold. It sounds like there is an exhaust leak in the video, and this sound could come and go with temperatures. Look on the right side of the exhaust manifold, I bet its missing a stud or two.

2. A collapsed lifter. Not a big deal, just buy some new/used ones or clean the old ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
It is probably one of two things:

1. An exhaust leak at the manifold. It sounds like there is an exhaust leak in the video, and this sound could come and go with temperatures. Look on the right side of the exhaust manifold, I bet its missing a stud or two.

2. A collapsed lifter. Not a big deal, just buy some new/used ones or clean the old ones.
I have a second head with lifters I'll borrow from if necessary. Odd because I had the valve cover off about 3 months ago and pumped the lifters by hand to see if they were good.

Would an exhaust leak make a loud RAP! like that?

Hopefully something simple! Thanks.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl0089 View Post
I have a second head with lifters I'll borrow from if necessary. Odd because I had the valve cover off about 3 months ago and pumped the lifters by hand to see if they were good.

Would an exhaust leak make a loud RAP! like that?

Hopefully something simple! Thanks.
Look at post #1 and post #31:
https://www.saablink.net/forum/car-pr...only/32148.htm

Unfortunately the video is gone, but it sounded very similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Thanks again. I'll have to take a look tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

You can suck ATF into the engine via the vacuum line for either the recirc valve or the PCV system. It will smoke like a MOFO and if you have an exhaust leak smoke will erupt from the compromised area. If no smoke emits from the header area then you have an internal problem. Try some marvel mystery oil in the sump; it sometimes works to free stuck lifters.
-Cm
Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Its a manual so no ATF to worry about! I'm leaning toward an exhaust leak but have to really look at the car.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl0089 View Post
Its a manual so no ATF to worry about! I'm leaning toward an exhaust leak but have to really look at the car.
Haha. He is telling you to suck some ATF into the engine while running because it will smoke, and you could see smoke coming out of the exhaust leak.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Haha. He is telling you to suck some ATF into the engine while running because it will smoke, and you could see smoke coming out of the exhaust leak.
Haha Do I feel stupid! Shows how much I know!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Where are you located by chance?

Quote:
Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

On Long Island, NY
Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
To back-up Mike's statement.
When I first bought my wagon, it had no noises, but within a few thousand miles, it developed what I was CERTAIN to be rod knock. I freaked and went worst-case, but in the end, it was 2 snapped exhaust studs. they were still in place, but there was nothing keeping the manifold from warping away from the head, blowing out the gasket, and leaking.

In the end, it was still a pain, since the head had to come off, but swapping a head is 1MM times easier than replacing a short-block, and gave me a chance to upgrade to a Aero head, with new HG, ARP studs, and whatever else went along with it. (looking back, I wish I had purchased ARP manifold studs, too.)

Take a look at the mating surface of the manifold/head. you can usually see the carbon deposits. If not, put a 13mm on the stud nuts and see if the spin/fall out.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

About 6 months ago I bought my gf a 2002 9-5. I was so excited that it had all its studs that I removed the bottom right one until the stud kit came in. I wasn't going to risk having a broken one and doing the head again!

Quote:
Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

I hope removing the head isn't necessary, but if it is, so be it. The exhaust manifold hardware is only 6 months old! I'm going to try to look at it today to figure this out.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

I took a closer look. All of the studs are in place, none are broken, and I tightened any that felt even the tiniest bit loose, but the manifold seems to be on securely. It does seem loud though. I'll be pulling the valve cover tomorrow and looking at the lifters to see if any are sticking.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Take a piece of rubber hose, maybe 2ft long. Put one end up to your ear, and move the other end around the engine, including the top and bottom of the manifold until you hear the most noise. It is a very effective way to track down where a noise is coming from.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #17
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Pulling the valve cover to look at lifters means pulling the timing chain off and pulling cams out. Not that hard, but I bet a little more detective work would find the noise.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Pulling the valve cover to look at lifters means pulling the timing chain off and pulling cams out. Not that hard, but I bet a little more detective work would find the noise.
Yeah I know all too well. I had everything out about 3 months ago when I last checked each of the lifters by hand.

The only thing I can say is that it hasn't hampered performance in any way, but I've had to drive cautiously since it is my DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in