More fun with the god damn 93 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Elder

More fun with the god damn 93

H'okay so here goes (again). Went to get my hair cut and when I left I noticed the car took a little bit longer cranking before it turned over. Stopped at a bk for some fries and after the car turns over it immediately stalls out and dies and won't even catch. Swapped di's and checked all relays but nothing. Move onto the fuel pump, put 12 volts to the fuse and then the pump directly and no life from. Fast forward a few hours and I swap put the pump and the car turns on and I get it home. The next day after work I go to run an errand and after leaving the car dies at a red light and I have to roll it back into the parking lot. I swap in a stock ecu and it fires up. Theeeeen ten minutes later the car dies while driving, tried bump starting it but Nada end up leaving it on the side of the road. A few hours later it fires up again with no change that I made. I'm thinking its the cps?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Is it old? That sounds like what I have heard for failures. Does the tach bounce when it cranks?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Elder

The tach did bounce when it died at bk but later my dad was behind the wheel so I can't say

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"

Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
CPS is easy place to start and not starting when hot is a common symptom of failure.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Elder

This, easy fix. Also check your hot and grounds to the solenoid and starter. Chased that one for a long time and it turned out to be rust and ground issues when hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
CPS is easy place to start and not starting when hot is a common symptom of failure.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
This, easy fix. Also check your hot and grounds to the solenoid and starter. Chased that one for a long time and it turned out to be rust and ground issues when hot.
Even though the car cranks over? I'll be swapping it the CP's from my brothers 900 at one point

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Elder

Car would start and run. Go out and 20 minutes later no start. Would start up in an hour or two. New battery, cps, starter and that's when rust, cable issues noticed. New starter and clean rust, no issues since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
Even though the car cranks over? I'll be swapping it the CP's from my brothers 900 at one point
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Elder

Good to know thanks

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Elder

Found a cps in my basement from when I t5'd my dads vert eons ago, I couldn't get the one from my brothers car off. So far the car hasn't died while driving and successfully done three hot starts. I haven't looked at the starter leads yet but will when I get some free time next.

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

yup definitely sounds like cps. those little torques can be a bitch to get off. i used to replace them with 10mm instead so the next time it wouldn't be so much of a pain in the ass
1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI (#109 of 640)
1996 Mazda Miata
1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI
2004 Subaru SG Forester (EJ22T CDB Project)
Old 08-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Elder

Update: the car will consistently start and not die while driving so that's a plus! What I seem to be experiencing now though I feel rather hard to explain, when driving at 40mph in 4th for example applying consistent throttle to cruise the engine will hesitate/cut out. The car has never boosted past 10psi except when the bpc went bad but it won't misfire or buck under boost. My extensive search here and google seems too tell me its either the map, evap, or tps sensor. To start could someone tell me what these sensors should have for ohms?

Just an FYI too the car has a new CTS, fpr, silicone vac lines, plugs less than 5k ago. And have like 80 aic valves I can cycle through

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Elder

Car died this morning on the way to the house in Nashua from Hudson. The car had been on for a total of 15 minutes when it seemed like the gas pedal just stopped working. The car smoothly decelerated until it stalled out. Now it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Elder

Saw that you were about ready to throw in the towel. Might want to reach out to Mike D, he's in your area.

My kid had similar fun, unreliable and 5 hours from me, and ended up with a Passat . I have the 9-3 now and worked thru no start problems, but AC just locked up two weeks ago. It now has a new compressor and cooling nicely. (Know that AC isn't a requirement in your AO, but its going to be 90 around here with 80% humidity).
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
Elder

I'm still throwing in the towel. I'm done with this particular Saab

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Elder

Fucking relays man im tellin ya. Started with the t5 no start check list from the 9k section. I confirmed the ecu was getting volts and the cps was working. I then took a battery and applied volts directly to the fuel pump and sure as shit it worked. Confirned no power to the pump when cranking so I took the high beam relay and stuck it in the fuel spot and just like that it fired up. Im wondering if all the recent issues I was having were related to the relay slowly dieing

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Probably dude, fucking annoying. All good now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Probably dude, fucking annoying. All good now?
Cant say for certain yet. All I did was drive it from the street it died on to home then left it to do other things ill be driving it tonight to see how it goes

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Elder

Guess what the car did again?! Same symptom the gas pedal ceases to work the engine will come out of vacuum but stay at atmosphere. It also seems like the charging system is wrong but once it dies it doesn't have juice to turn over. I checked the positive lead on the starter and it seemed okay but who the fuck knows. Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm selling this car regardless so I'd like to have it running to make a little more

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #19
lms

Fuel pump, have some starter fluid ready and when it does this again, spray it in there to see if it fires, if so I would think these narrows it down.
Charge the crap out of the battery as well.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #20
Elder

Sometimes even charging a marginal battery won't get it done, see if you can borrow a good battery. How is the alternator? Get a multimeter, even a Harbor Freight special will work. If its not working/getting 14 volts, it will drain the battery which could cause the voltage to drop to the ECU, etc. I've had ignition switch electrical part go bad.

+1 on keeping starting fluid and see if it helps during no start. check all your vacuum lines and we just had one to the FPR that was bad throwing a code.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in