Problems after rebuild - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Problems after rebuild

Hi all, hope someone can help me

I bought my missus a 2001 9-3 cab with a autobox, the engine (B205e) needed rebuilding due to a hole in the side of the block caused by conrod failure....
So i was advised to rebuild with a B205e block and to use the B205e head & Ancillaries which i have just done.

When it came to starting the car after the rebuild the engine will turn over, but soon locks up, I am 100% sure the timing chain is correctly aligned, And the engine will rotate for at least 6 rotations before locking up. If the chain was incorrectly aligned then it wouldn't rotate once.

Could the auto-box be causing this ?

Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

We once had our intake and exhaust cams swapped (done by our machinist and we didn't check). It was difficult for the starter to crank over and we smoked the starter before we figured it out. You can check easy, the exhaust can should have a slot or notch on the end where it used to drive the distributor (and on some models a vacuum pump).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
We once had our intake and exhaust cams swapped (done by our machinist and we didn't check). It was difficult for the starter to crank over and we smoked the starter before we figured it out. You can check easy, the exhaust can should have a slot or notch on the end where it used to drive the distributor (and on some models a vacuum pump).
Good thought, but an 01 auto should have the vacuum pump on the exhaust cam... only one way to hook it up.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Good thought, but an 01 auto should have the vacuum pump on the exhaust cam... only one way to hook it up.
Is that when they started? I wasn't sure. My 99 auto had the electric pump. My 00 5spd does not have anything.

Not to be too far off topic, I am rebuilding the 00 5spd (aero) after 250 k miles. Everything was in good shape so there were no failures.

I was thinking about putting a cam driven vacuum pump on there just for safety, any reason I should not? Maybe I should start my own thread. Sorry op.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
SAABeginner

cheers for the replies..... the cam on mine does drive a vacuum pump
Ive located the problem to be the thrust washers ! :/
I thought they were a little tight when fitting them but on the engine stand the engine turned over fine by hand, but ive never built a saab engine before, they have almost welded to the crank thrust faces purely on the starter motor, without even starting the engine
I hate this car already ! lolol
a few hours removing the alloy from the faces and the CORRECT thrust washers should hopefully resolve this issue :/ but doing more research has revealed another problem that i was mislead about... apparently i should of used a B204e head gasket when doing the hybrid conversion not a B205e Gasket !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in