1999 9-3 fuel problems - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
SAABeginner

1999 9-3 fuel problems

I started a thread in the general heading by mistake so I'm doing this over. Sorry about that I'm new. Had to scratch my head for a few minutes before I figured out what "CEL" was. It's a very long story. I've had fuel system problems with it since I got it aprox. 4 years ago. Car sat for a couple years before I got it going again last winter. 225,000 miles. Not original engine in it. I don't know how many miles on engine. Runs beautiful when its running. Thought I found the problem (no gas, no start) when I discovered that where the pigtail plugged into the full pump was damaged. The post on the pump itself was loose. Thought it was a bad connection. No gas, wiggle plug, now gas. Was throwing CEL but never checked it at that time. Replaced fuel pump, CEL went away, thought my troubles were over. About a week later, was driving on the highway and lost power all at once. It was as though my throttle cable broke. When I came to a stop it would start, but stall immediately if I touched the gas pedal. CEL came back on too. (bank system, multiple cylinder misfire, idle air control system). I was able to get car off highway with it idling in first gear. Now it won't start at all. Turn key fuel pump does not turn on. Replaced CPS still nothing. Tested pump, it's good, power getting to relay, and relay is good. This is the same problem I've had with the car since I've got it. I am thinking it may be two different problems (or more). For example I'm sure the IACV has nothing to do with the fuel pump not getting any power. By the way I took it off (the IACV) and cleaned it out. I guess for starters I need to fix the power to the fuel pump problem. Can anyone tell me how to trouble shoot between the relay and the pump? It goes relay-cps-fuse-pump, right? Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
SAABeginner

Car is 50 miles away from home don't have 300 for the tow. Makes it difficult to work on. Last trip to visit found I was getting power to the fuel pump fuse. Ran new wires from there to fuel pump. Now my pump is working but still no start. I'm back to the original problem. Except it won't quite start, like it's not getting enough gas. It originally threw the code for idle air intake system, and bank system too rich. I've ordered a "new" AIV or IAV (whatever) but in my gut I know it's not gonna fix it. Tried starting it with the AIV removed, nothing. It was suggested that I check the fuel pressure at the rail. I have no idea how to do this can anyone help? thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in