Changing twice unit ! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Changing twice unit !

I got a twice unit from a 2001 9-5 with matching key out of junkyard.
Hopeing it will work. plugged it into my car and it cranks over now without saying KEY NOT ACCEPTED... but still will not fire !

Called dealer and they said the donor twice unit needs to be divorced before it can be remarried. This is fuckin gay ! Someone tell me this is not true
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
TSLMember

It is true sadly. However if the person using the tech II knows what they are doing it can be made to work. Go back to wreckers and get the vin number. When I got my 9-5 had last owner had put in everything you had then junked the other car. So no vin number.
Took it to a local independent and he got it to work, so it can be done.
1999 9-5 Linear Wagon
1999 9-3SE 5 Door
1988 900T Convertible

Last edited by Saabo; 06-19-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Elder

No, donor doesn't need to be divorced, but it does need to be programmed to your car. It's the IMMOBILIZER function in the ECU that needs to be synced.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
No, donor doesn't need to be divorced, but it does need to be programmed to your car. It's the IMMOBILIZER function in the ECU that needs to be synced.
Exactly so.

On the T5 powered cars, the TWICE is plug and play in most markets (no immobilizer link to the ECU) but with the T7, gotta sync the immobilizer function between the ECU and TWICE.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

This is where i am at. I have only one saab dealer in green bay wi, and they said it needs to be divorced. Should i call them back and see if they can help otherwise i am stuck if he doesnt want to give it a try.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Elder

Call back. As long as the TWICE unit and the key match it will work.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
TSLMember

Well, this is a long shot, and not an exactly easy solution:

Pull the ECU out of the 9-5 wreck.

Download a copy of T7 Suite and get either a CAN or BDM interface.

Pull the data off the 9-5 ECU and copy the immobilizer code.

Update your ECU with the immobilizer code from the 9-5. Actually, I'd update the immobilizer code in the bin file from your ECU and then re-flash the 9-5 ECU with that bin leaving your original ECU alone.

It's possible you could contact one of the known tuners here or on SAAB Central and if you supply both ECU's, they can do the deed.

Heck, there's a chance one of them could disable the immobilizer in your ECU and bypass the need for the ECU that matched the replacement TWICE.

Would not hurt to check with one of them to see what options they can offer.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Call back. As long as the TWICE unit and the key match it will work.
Is it possible to hook up the TWICE unit to a tech ii and find the immobilizer?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Elder

What do you mean "find?" Like read out the code for the specific car? No, Tech2 won't do that, but I believe T7Suite will.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
What do you mean "find?" Like read out the code for the specific car? No, Tech2 won't do that, but I believe T7Suite will.
Yes. Say I had a tuner or tech person hook up my car's Twice unit. Will the Twice unit provide him/her with the car's immobilizer number? Or lets say I send my TWICE module to Mike D. or JZW for example, would they be able to find my car's immobilizer number by hooking it up to their T7Suite?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Immobilizer code is printed on the ECU.
Wouldn't all of this be easier if you just went and got the ECU to match the TWICE?
It's the TWICE, ECU, and Key that need to match, right?

...or will that cause new problems with the radio?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Immobilizer code is printed on the ECU.
Wouldn't all of this be easier if you just went and got the ECU to match the TWICE?
It's the TWICE, ECU, and Key that need to match, right?

...or will that cause new problems with the radio?
On the T7 cars, the instrument cluster, radio (and cd changer if installed), DICE and ECU are all tied to the VIN. The ECU, DICE and cluster all have to match VIN's for the engine to start and the radio has to be "married" to the VIN for it to work.

The ECU and TWICE are tied to the immobilizer and the keys/remotes and TWICE are tied together. -- Yea, it's a pretty long string of components that all have to agree before things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
Yes. Say I had a tuner or tech person hook up my car's Twice unit. Will the Twice unit provide him/her with the car's immobilizer number? Or lets say I send my TWICE module to Mike D. or JZW for example, would they be able to find my car's immobilizer number by hooking it up to their T7Suite?

Thanks!
Nope, I don't know of any tool that will display the immobilizer code from the TWICE -- when using a Tech 2 to sync the immobilizer code, the Tech 2 must establish communications with both the TWICE and ECU to update the code in the TWICE with the code from the ECU. Even then I don't remember seeing the Tech 2 display the code, just displays a message that the TWICE has been updated.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
What a PITA.
Would getting the immobilizer code off the Orig ECU help at all, or is it still the same dance with the tech-2?
Old 12-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
What a PITA.
Would getting the immobilizer code off the Orig ECU help at all, or is it still the same dance with the tech-2?
There's going to be a dance! Just "what music?" is the question.

The immobilizer code is printed on a long thin sticker on the electrical connector of the ECU (note, NOT the aluminum case). With that code, a tuner could update the software on the "right" ecu to match.

Or, with that ECU, a tuner could update the software with the "right" VIN

So, four options:

1) Tech 2 to update the immobilizer in the TWICE.

2) Tune the current ECU with the immobilizer code that's programmed into the TWICE.

3) Tune the TWICE's doner's ECU with the VIN of the "new" car and use that.

4) Get the VIN from the "real" car, the immobilizer code from the doner car to a tuner and have them tune yet another ECU with all the right numbers.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #15

Wow did Saab truly do some messed up crap with all of this. In my situation, I sold the ecu out of my car, but wrote down the ecu's immobilizer number. However, the ecu I sold was tuned by the previous owner via Genuine Saab (aka Nick). So the ecu immobilizer number is not what my original car's immobilizer number was. I ask Nick what the original immobilizer number is and he's not responding, though it seems Nick doesn't communicate well and I will send a thousand emails if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in