transmission repair - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

transmission repair

hi guys, the transmission recently broke in my 1997 900se. blew a hole straight through it. i was wondering if there was a way to replace the tranny without a lift? id love to keep the car and keep it going rather than a scrap yard have it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I've done it without a lift. You need to remove the subframe, then support the engine while you take the trans out though the bottom. No way for it to come out except for through the bottom. a lift certainly makes it easier. You can get your car pretty high on jack stands, then maneuver it all out the bottom. It really helps to have a transmission jack as well but I have steadied it on a regular jack before. For that it is really good to have a helper.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Elder

Yeah no problems doing it without a lift at all. The manuals weigh about 90lbs, so using a jack isn't even required. I usually use a 3x3 square of foam rubber flooring on my chest so it doesn't poke me, then shimmy under it and press it into place. There's some technique, but very doable shade tree style. The autos are heavier, never did one of those so can't speak to it. I've done maybe 15 or so manual jobs trying different clutches and for friends etc.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
TSLMember

While a bit heavier, the auto is easier to finesse into position than the manual.

Either way, with a way to support the engine (I've used a couple 2X6's bolted together as the cross brace) the rest gets pretty easy.

Drop the subframe, rain the box, pop out the left driveshaft and then disconnect the transmission from the car. Support the transmission and disconnect it from the engine. Slide it out far enough to clear the right output shaft/flywheel and lower away.

The job will kill the heck out of a Saturday.

If you're working on a manual with hydraulic slave, don't forget to bleed the slave beforehand. I've found using an e-z bleeder with a hose routed back to the reservoir the fasted way to bleed the clutch MC once everything's together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in