Air Conditioning Diagnostics for a 9-3? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Air Conditioning Diagnostics for a 9-3?

Hey guys,
The AC on my Viggen went from ice-cold to just vented air right when the 90 degree weather got here. Trying to diagnose whether it's the compressor or just in need of a refill. I remember a rumor about being able to diagnose the AC by pressing a few of the buttons on the climate control.. but can't seem to remember the details..

Advice or thoughts?

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
JK
Elder

I don't know the buttons, but you should be able to tell if the compressor is kicking in by starting the car and watching under the hood to see if the clutch on the A/C engages at all. If the clutch on the compressor does engage then you probably have a leak in the system that would need to be adressed and then you'd need a fill.

If the A/C went from cold to nothing that quickly you probably have a large leak, and it would be nearly worthless to pay for a recharge until you fix that.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i dont wanna steal the thread but my A/C cuts off every once in a while i just turn it off and back on and it works fine? so just a short somewhere? this is super lame sence i live in florida and its 96 all day and i just got home like 10min ago and its still 85ish.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s
If the A/C went from cold to nothing that quickly you probably have a large leak, and it would be nearly worthless to pay for a recharge until you fix that.
That's the tricky part... I rarely use the AC.. usually have the windows down and sunroof open.. I vaguely remember it being on and cold about a month ago.. but since then.. if it was running with the SACC it was only just barely on..

I guess it just seemed sudden because my only AC memory in the car is that it worked perfectly and then the day I needed it.. nothing. Heh.. guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take it in.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
check in the owners manual, I believe it explains how to recalibrate the ACC, it also may have stuff on the self diagnostics and explains how to make it display error codes. Also do a search on SAAB central because I know I have seen issues similar to this brought up there a few times before.

I however will just stick to breaking my Damn Fisher price Manual climate control knobs....wanna trade?
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 05-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldSaabMan
check in the owners manual, I believe it explains how to recalibrate the ACC, it also may have stuff on the self diagnostics and explains how to make it display error codes. Also do a search on SAAB central because I know I have seen issues similar to this brought up there a few times before.

I however will just stick to breaking my Damn Fisher price Manual climate control knobs....wanna trade?

.. I don't have the owner's manual (if anybody has an extra manual for a 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen.. I am willing to buy!!!!)...

as to the manual controls.. *thinks* .. no thanks.. hehe
Old 05-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schaefer
.. I don't have the owner's manual (if anybody has an extra manual for a 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen.. I am willing to buy!!!!)...

as to the manual controls.. *thinks* .. no thanks.. hehe
haha my thoughts exactly...I think I would rather deal with an ACC that gave me a hiccup everyonce in a while over my stupid knobs....mark my words one day I will have the conversion complete hehe.

anyway search saab central I think all the info is there as well as the owners manual...also check ebay for spare owners manuals.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
JK
Elder

I just remembered the problems I was having with A/C on one of my 9000s. It suddenly quit and it ended up being that the ACC control unit was not directing the airflow over the A/C condensor (or whatever the refrigerated coils are called). I popped in a good used one and *poof* working A/C!

It might be as simple as that, however a new ACC panel would probably cost a lot more than a recharge!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If your A/C went from cool to warm all in a matter of one day or so, you probably have either a huge leak or A/C that never really worked. The A/C on my viggen is not terribly cold, just "cool". I'm gonna do a recharge on it and see if it makes a difference. Regarding the compressor kicking in, if there is not enough refrigerant to compress, the computer controling it will sense the issue and only allow the compressor to run for a very short time, usually no more than like 5 seconds. Turn the car on, make sure the temp is low enough to kick on the A/C (make sure "ECON" is off or else the compressor never will come on) and then go and watch it. It's pretty obvious when the clutch engages on most. If it doesn't engage at all then there may be more to the problem. Take it in and have it looked at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Okay.. yeah.. I'm dumb.

Went through all the hassle of getting the Vig into my shop only to find out THE DAMN FUSE WAS BLOWN!

$19.13 (minimum shop fee) I'm back on the road with ice cold AC *headDESK*

I spend half my day at work reminding people of how important it is to pay attention to the little things.. and I didn't even think to check the fuse..

*sigh*
Old 06-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

I have had some problems with the a/c and found that one of the lines rubs on the intercooler piping. This seems to be a common place for refrigerant leaks. Check there if you are having problems
Old 06-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
ya, my AC consists of the sunroof and windows currently
it dies every summer, so im thinking about getting rid of the power sucking AC altogether

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
SAABeginner

The buttons you are referring to are to test the flapper/blend doors and motors. Press the AUTO and OFF buttons simultaneously while your car is running. All the doors will then cycle through all their steps. I used this to diagnose which one of my doors was making the noise and failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in