NG900 Pass door won't open...! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
NG900 Pass door won't open...!

So nearing 10,000 miles of ownership on my 97 900 SE Coupe and gremlins are starting to appear...

Just happened today, my passenger door wouldn't shut so I look at the latch and use a screwdriver to realign it. Great, door shuts! Wait a sec, now the door won't open.

Tried using both inside handle and outside handle, jiggling them, bumping up against door while I jiggle and pull.... Nothing... Take inside door handle off to try and pull to release mechanism and still stuck!

So I looked into this and could I have possibly dead bolted passenger door?? My drivers side door lock is vertical still, and I tried to turn both drivers and passenger licks and both seem to be frozen! Pb blaster in both key holes to no avail...

How do I get door opened so I can get this panel off?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Elder

May have to sacrifice a door panel, or use a slimjim type tool to actuate the latch lever itself. Very difficult to do even if you have done it before.

I HATE working with doors and latches. Guaranteed to always cut your hand up, working in a tight space with mirrors... Hate it!

Good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Hmm... I hate to sacrifice the viggen door panel. I'll do my best and update - Any tips/tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
May have to sacrifice a door panel, or use a slimjim type tool to actuate the latch lever itself. Very difficult to do even if you have done it before.

I HATE working with doors and latches. Guaranteed to always cut your hand up, working in a tight space with mirrors... Hate it!

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
Elder

I recommend getting another door to practice on, or removing the driver's door panel to learn what you have to do... It's likely the linkage arm or the linkage itself is off or bound up, or the plastic portion of the latch is broken and now jamming the latch.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
Elder

I had a Passenger door lock assembly fail on my 2000 9-3 - wouldn't latch. I put in a junk yard unit and it's functional but still feels a little off. You CAN get the panel off with the door closed, but you must be patient and work with it.
for your repair needs
Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

I took the seat out and got the door panel off enough so I can reach inside, how do I get this latch to undo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (399.1 KB, 13 views)

Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #7

SAAB 900 SE Door latch issue - YouTube

Here's a video showing what is happening. The hinge is not catching anything. Is there an emergency door release?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

SAAB 900SE working door latch - YouTube

Here's a video of how latch should work. It seems the linkage arm is totally disconnected as NickTurbo900 said.

Burns - Any tips on how to get the door opened? I now have access from inside door panel.

I hope these videos help everyone who is having similar issues.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

A little fiddling with where the arm was disconnected and I got the door popped open and now I have the actuator out. All the plastic was shattered inside and the spring was popped out of the alignment hole.

Here's a video of the action:
SAAB 900SE broken door lock actuator - YouTube

Now all I need to do is go to the junkyard and get another. What is the best way to clean/lube my drivers so this doesn't happen?

Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

Junkyard had a 900 SE vert. Despite different part numbers it fits!

SAAB 900SE Door actuator replacement - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in