Couple Small Things - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Elder

Couple Small Things

When it comes to the front windows I've replaced all four window rollers but the arms to raise and lower the windows keeps popping out! What gives? I've greased everything up so I'm kinda stumped.

I'm getting a gas smell under boost, could someone confirm if the of 93s have the charcoal canister in the passenger fender like the ng900s?

And thirdly my account is a bit wonky, I've noticed that when I start the car if the little acc fan spins and buzzes the acc will listen to me, if not the car will blow heat of its own accord. Am on the right track in thinking I need one of those fans/sensors?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Elder

When you do the green rollers, it should double click, ie need vice grips do the tightening. Otherwise they will pop out.

The ACC/cabin fan can be removed, cleaned and oiled, might help with getting an accurate reading. The ACC also needs to be recalibated and see if there are any codes.

Not sure about canister, check the injectors and fuel rail and see if there is a leak?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
When you do the green rollers, it should double click, ie need vice grips do the tightening. Otherwise they will pop out.

The ACC/cabin fan can be removed, cleaned and oiled, might help with getting an accurate reading. The ACC also needs to be recalibated and see if there are any codes.

Not sure about canister, check the injectors and fuel rail and see if there is a leak?
Goods to know on the rollers, I've recalibrated the acc a few times and no codes to speak of.

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"

Old 05-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
I'm getting a gas smell under boost, could someone confirm if the of 93s have the charcoal canister in the passenger fender like the ng900s?
Charcoal canister is back by the tank, 2000 up, 1999 9-3 has it in the fender
Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I had the problem of smelling gas when on boost and fixed it by addressing the following:
1) The lines to/from the purge valve on the passenger side of the engine bay, which is basically on the fender, are often dry-rotted and cracked; they piss gas fumes whenever there is pressure in the intake to force the unburnt fuel vapor out of them.
2) The O-ring on top of the fuel pump assembly became unseated over time and permitted a noxious eau de gasoline into the cabin. Boost and bumps made the problem into a windows-down-because-we-might-choke/explode type issue.
3) The lines from the PCV to the intake manifold break or blow off or do both, and this sometimes manifests as oil/gasoline smell.
4) Sometimes the line to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) gets decayed and in addition to your car running like crap, oozes gas smell continually ( as opposed to continuously).
5) I seriously doubt it is your canister. Unless you have a condition where the fuel is sucked into it (whacked out purge valve/wrong tune--ask me how I know), or, it is never vented for a similar reason, the canister is pretty much a life-of-car thing IMHO.
Good luck,
-Cm
Old 05-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
I had the problem of smelling gas when on boost and fixed it by addressing the following:
1) The lines to/from the purge valve on the passenger side of the engine bay, which is basically on the fender, are often dry-rotted and cracked; they piss gas fumes whenever there is pressure in the intake to force the unburnt fuel vapor out of them.
2) The O-ring on top of the fuel pump assembly became unseated over time and permitted a noxious eau de gasoline into the cabin. Boost and bumps made the problem into a windows-down-because-we-might-choke/explode type issue.
3) The lines from the PCV to the intake manifold break or blow off or do both, and this sometimes manifests as oil/gasoline smell.
4) Sometimes the line to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) gets decayed and in addition to your car running like crap, oozes gas smell continually ( as opposed to continuously).
5) I seriously doubt it is your canister. Unless you have a condition where the fuel is sucked into it (whacked out purge valve/wrong tune--ask me how I know), or, it is never vented for a similar reason, the canister is pretty much a life-of-car thing IMHO.
Good luck,
-Cm
The lines around the evap valve where cracked and I fixed those. The fuel pump oring is new, fpr and its line are new, the crank case vent hoses are good, so I guess what I'm left with is the tuned ecu or the canistah. With the windows rolled up the smell almost completely goes away.

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
Elder

Yay more problems! Somehow the coolant is getting pressurized when I start the car I get the fill coolant message but the car doesnt overheat. Piston 4 looked a little wet plus when the car is cold the engine chugs at idle and will misfire under boost under it warms up. My thoughts are leaky hg? Sorry for the rambling post im using my cell at work

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Have you done the head bolt retorque? My lady's 00 9-3 the bolts around #4 were barely finger tight... she was pouring coolant out the corner of the head. I did the retorque and she got another 20k out of it. Would probably still be running fine today if it hadn't been rusting to shit and need more work than it was worth. Still really sad she got rid of that car
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
Elder

I haven't done the retourque but the hg was done within 15k so its possible thats what it needs

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Elder

new bolts or old bolts?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
Elder

New I believe

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
Elder

Hmm weird, maybe not then?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Elder

So some of the headbolts around #4 werent as tight as they should be. They all clicked off the torque wrench but I got close to the 90 degree turn on three of them. Hopefully that solves the issue since on the way home I starting buring coolant and the had to stop on the side of the highway to fill the empty coolant resivor

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Elder

So after getting home I put the valve cover back on and bled the cooling system, took it out for a long beat down run on the highway and one I got off the fill coolant warning light came on and like all the other times once I loosened up the coolant cap the coolant level came back up.
So to recap
Excess pressure in the coolant resivor
Wet #4 cylinder
Overheated on the highway due to coolant loss.
Unless there's some other way the coolant could be getting over pressurized I'm going to hedge my bet on the headgasket...

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Sounds like a HG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Elder

Hokely dokely friends got the headgasket fixed and the engine is running great, up next is the fact the car will 8/10 times constantly blow hot air out of the vents. When I calibrate the acc I don't get any error codes but it I believe the issue lies with the two little motors that control the flaps in the system. They make s shit ton of scraping and grating noises.

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in