HELP - tire patch/replacement - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
HELP - tire patch/replacement

Hey guys,

I recently got screwed on my tires. I have firestone firehawk gt spec v and I bought the protection plan(replace if necessary & free patch from road debris). Now I have a screw in my rear driver side tire close to sidewall. I am at a firestone dealer in VA (live in NY/PA)

The first guy checks it out says it needs to be replaced. Gives me a hard time about protection plan. Second guy checks it out " we could probably patch that."

I know that a puncture near sidewall renders tires useless but a patch on the thread is fine. This is on the tread but near sidewall.

Opinions on patching vs replacement?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (402.3 KB, 31 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #2

Btw I'm at the firestone dealer now

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
patchable

sadly...

Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Well patch and replace if necessary. You at the one near tysons corner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

Well, been here all day. Also wasn't kept in the loop. They replaced tire with a lesser quality - champion HR. Unacceptable. I call the warranty company, find out I'm entitled to $115 and they will replace with similar spec tire.

Firestone gt-v - tread wear 460 tread A temp A v-rating
Champion HR - tread wear 400 tread A temp A h-rating

So after a wasted day and some debate I was able to get these switches
Out with a similar v spec 460 tread wear tire.

Moral of the story: always check work done before you drive off the parking lot. They apologized and all, but bad business IMO.

Tweek - firestone center in McLean, VA

Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #6

Plug it, that is not the sidewall.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

Odd ball tire too? what tire shop does that?

Tires should be the same on each axle.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

Also - was informed by the dealer I bought the tires from that the tire needed to be replaced as puncture is too close to sidewall.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Odd ball tire too? what tire shop does that?

Tires should be the same on each axle.
I agree, bad shop etiquette. They don't make firehawk v spec anymore, but they will replace with firehawks new model

Old 05-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Elder

BS I've had tires patched from the inside with screws that close to the sidewall. I like unmounting and patching from the inside vs plugging. I've done plugging in an emergency.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 05-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
BS I've had tires patched from the inside with screws that close to the sidewall. I like unmounting and patching from the inside vs plugging. I've done plugging in an emergency.
Yea I feel like it's more of a liability issue than safety when it comes to honoring this extra warranty/road protection that I purchased for $50 when I bought the tires.

It did not matter to me whether they plugged or replaced it, but do not try and give me a cheaper model especially before discussing it with the customer.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Elder

I'm with you on replacement, at least let the customer know. I would rather get the right ones even if I have to pay in addition to the warranty.

Cheesesteak run tomorrow? You were close to one of the meeting points in Tysons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAero View Post
Yea I feel like it's more of a liability issue than safety when it comes to honoring this extra warranty/road protection that I purchased for $50 when I bought the tires.

It did not matter to me whether they plugged or replaced it, but do not try and give me a cheaper model especially before discussing it with the customer.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #13

Hmmm... I was thinking cars and coffee tomorrow. Not going back to Philly until Sunday/Monday.

On another note, I paid $25 and got firehawk wide oval v spec. So all and all I can not complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
I'm with you on replacement, at least let the customer know. I would rather get the right ones even if I have to pay in addition to the warranty.

Cheesesteak run tomorrow? You were close to one of the meeting points in Tysons.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAero View Post
Also - was informed by the dealer I bought the tires from that the tire needed to be replaced as puncture is too close to sidewall.

Thanks for the help!
Did they tell you that before they knew you were under warranty?

Or is it an external warranty they don't have to pay for?

Looks like they wanted to jack the profit. I'm not saying I'd mind a new tire (although the mismatch isn't great) but that could be patched. That's not "in the sidewall area" by a long shot.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #15
TSLMember

Looks like they wanted to jack the profit. I'm not saying I'd mind a new tire (although the mismatch isn't great) but that could be patched. That's not "in the sidewall area" by a long shot.

That's in the shoulder area. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a patch there.

http://www.rma.org/tire-safety/tire-repair/

Last edited by Bruce; 05-10-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
Elder

this is crazy, my local town fair tire didn't ask questions an immediately replaces with the same make/model tire if available and if not gives me the same make just the newer model. any place trying to use a patch or a lesser quality tire with that warranty stuff is lower than dirt in my book. and yeah that tire isn't "safely" repairable. most of us would do it ourselves in a pinch but no way should a big company do that.

glad you got it sorted. sucks it took so long though
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Did they tell you that before they knew you were under warranty?

Or is it an external warranty they don't have to pay for?

No, the manager told me that after I stated that I have a Firestone warranty that I bought from a Firestone dealer in NYS. Then the technician comes to check it out trying to tell me it is patchable.

The original dealer helped me out greatly (Tallman Tire in Yorkville,NY) by telling me all I need to know about the warranty. Any firestone dealer HAS to take the car in to honor the warranty. Even called me back before he left for work that day to make sure everything was sorted.

The Firestone dealer in VA was terrible. I waited 2 hours to see if they would cover warranty. Then they take my car in replace it with an inferior model(w/o speaking to me) and pull it back out. Another hour goes by then my brother goes to check on the car and tells me it is a different model.

This is when I go back, call the warranty company, bitch about setting me off with a H rated 400 treadwear instead of a V rated 460 treadwear, then finally I get told come back at 7PM.

BUT they did get me on the road same-day no appointment so I can not be upset. They made it right by replacing it with a similar tire after some debate.

I just can't imagine how many places of business get away with these shady practices.

Quote:
That's in the shoulder area. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a patch there.

Tire Repair
Basically was just on the verge of safety. The screw did have a washer on it so it does appear to be in the shoulder area where the tire flexes, but was actually right on the cusp of the "puncture repair area." I did not feel comfortable with them saying they could patch it due to the fact that I sent a photo to my original place of purchase and Mike called me back stating that ALL of his technicians said that it indeed needs replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
this is crazy, my local town fair tire didn't ask questions an immediately replaces with the same make/model tire if available and if not gives me the same make just the newer model. any place trying to use a patch or a lesser quality tire with that warranty stuff is lower than dirt in my book. and yeah that tire isn't "safely" repairable. most of us would do it ourselves in a pinch but no way should a big company do that.

glad you got it sorted. sucks it took so long though
I agree with this statement 100%.

Last edited by BluAero; 05-10-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #18
Elder

Sad story.

For what it is worth... I've patched outer shoulder, right into the sidewalls on my own tires... Never a problem. I've run dry rotted tires... weather cracked tires... Never a problem. Sidewall bubbles, yup, never a problem... Just did a 1000 mile trip with a sidewall bubble!

as I've been known to say many-a-time... Just Run It!

In 15+ years of driving I have had 2 flat tires.

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-10-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #19

Haha yeah, but with my luck just take "never" out of everything you just wrote!

For example: (150 miles from home) & Screw in tire 2 days ago. Today: CEL which turned out to be CPS sensor bank 1. Looked at how it was wired and there was a kink. 30 minutes later and a trip to Advance Auto and CEL is cleared and off for 10 miles so far.

BUT I haven't done much besides switching all the fluids (except brake) to synthetic, full 3 inch exhaust, and poly engine/trans mount and this is the first hiccup in 9,000 miles of ownership! 173,6xx and counting!

Also: Hope you have AAA, I have the premier membership due to Murphy's Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Sad story.

For what it is worth... I've patched outer shoulder, right into the sidewalls on my own tires... Never a problem. I've run dry rotted tires... weather cracked tires... Never a problem. Sidewall bubbles, yup, never a problem... Just did a 1000 mile trip with a sidewall bubble!

as I've been known to say many-a-time... Just Run It!

In 15+ years of driving I have had 2 flat tires.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
Elder

Better World Club... Puts AAA to shame!

Seriously.

That's a pretty good record too... As far as tires go I've been lucky, yes. As far as mechanical break downs.... let's just say there is a reason I've gotten to be pretty good at diagnosing and repairing SAABs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in