local help - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
SAABeginner

local help

Does anyone know of a local Indy or a reasonable stealership (I know, oxymoron) that will have a look at my radio ?

It says locked, but I did call the GM Saab support folks, who looked up my vin and told me that the unit I have matches the one that came with the car.

I have asked a number of places, all of whom have said a) go to the dealer, b) we don't touch Saabs or c) the guy we had who does that just left us.

One local shop told me that they can get it done without a Tech2, but I'm afraid to let him touch the car.

I am located in North Jersey, but anywhere within an hour will work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
What year is the car?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
SAABeginner

2001 9-3

Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
srp
Elder

Pretty sure you need a Tech 2 as the OG9-3 radios have to be married to the DICE.
Whereas the older NG900s had a radio code you could type in.

Not sure if there is some bypass without a tech 2.

Did it just stop working? Or did it never work?

Depends on where you are located in Northern NJ, But Fiat of Morris County used to be RMI Saab, not sure if they still have the tools or equipment.

There is an independent Saab mechanic in Mt Arlington called Sweet Motors, might be worth giving him a call to see if he has a Tech 2.

Otherwise JMK in Springfield, NJ.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
SAABeginner

I bought the car with the radio locked and not enough research to understand the complexitiy of the security system.

The radio does play for a few seconds before it locks, so I believe that it is in working order.

The folks at JMK want $450 for a second key, so I don't expect them to be very kind where the radio is involved.

I spoke with the nice guy at Sweet, and made an appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully that will work out.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Elder

If the radio is not original to the car, if there is any way that you can dig up the VIN number, it would be helpful. Otherwise see if you can buy one that has the VIN or has been divorced from the car.

I may also need a 99 9-3 radio that has been divorced or sort out the wiring in the aftermarket one.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Elder

$450 for a new key sounds high. did they break down where they get the price from?
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
SAABeginner

Did they break down ? No, I broke down and cried when I heard the number. They did say so much for this and so much for that, but I got the clear message that they weren't going to do me any favors.

Anyone have a more reasonable option for a second key ?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Elder

Look at the saabsite - http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/sear...ey&m=6#linkbar Call them at +1-800-774-4496 and they should be able to walk you thru the key ordering.

They or the dealer can get a key based on VIN number for ~$20 plus shipping. That's part one, the second part is getting a Tech-II to mate it with the car. Should be less than 1 hour shop time to program.

If you want a remote, get a cheap "banana" remote and it can be programmed at the same time as the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSaaber View Post
Did they break down ? No, I broke down and cried when I heard the number. They did say so much for this and so much for that, but I got the clear message that they weren't going to do me any favors.

Anyone have a more reasonable option for a second key ?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Okay everybody, listen up because this kind of thing doesn't happen every day. In fact, I don't think it happens as often as the earth experiences an ice age, which hasn't been very often.

As I mentioned above, I made an appointment at Sweet Motors, in Mt. Arlington NJ, owned by Jerry Sweet. As per his name, the man is a pleasure to know. Courteous, competent, honest; everything you could want in a friend. In a mechanic ? Hard to believe I was on the same planet where I usually live.

Over the phone he quoted me a rate of $100 per hour, which I think is pretty reasonable for a foreign car mechanic.

He sat down with me and listened to what I had to say about the car, which included both the saga of the radio and a separate problem I posted in my thread " spilling coolant". He took notes and included them on the invoice he later printed out.

I asked him to begin with the radio. He brought the car into the bay, and pulled out his Tech 2. As I have mentioned nobody I spoke to up to that pointed wanted to touch it. He was five minutes into it, at which point he came over and told me that the DICE had likely been replaced, because the VIN in it did not match the car. I asked him if he could change that, to which he said that he would try. Another few minutes, and he came back to say that 1) I now had a working radio, and 2) that a bunch of information was missing from the DICE programming. He fixed all of that, at which point he turned his attention to the coolant problem. By now I was already in a good state, but then things got even better.

He figured out that the coolant problem was a bad fan resistor, which he will try to get for me out of a junker, instead of my having to shell out $117, even though I told him that I was going to do the work.

He told me that the intermittent check engine light I was getting came from the range switch on the transmission, quoted me a price, and did not tell me that I needed to do it immediately or else I would die of starvation on some lonely highway.

He mentioned that he felt a slight vibration which pointed to a transmission mount that will need attention.

He also quoted me about $130 for the extra key, and then something truly amazing happened.

My experience with mechanics and hourly rates is that they charge by the hour or "part thereof". In fact, I had gotten huge value out of the time he spent, and it would have been well worth the full hour fee. Not in this shop, though; he hands me a bill for $80, even though it was pretty much a full hour from beginning to end, if not a few minutes more.

Competence is difficult to find. Honesty is almost impossible. Both in the same human being is nothing short of a miracle. That's just not the way the world operates any more.

I can't recommend this guy strongly enough. It was a half hour drive for me. It would have been worth a 3 hour drive.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Glad it worked out for you. He is 10 minutes from me and I've not heard much about him, but everything I have heard has been praise.

I will definitely be taking my NG there to charge the AC when I have some time after hearing your glowing review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
locked, radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in