Hard to Start, When the engine is Warm - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Exclamation Hard to Start, When the engine is Warm

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so pls be nice. I have checked the other topics and issues related to my problem, however there is no such solution that can help me.

I have 99, Saab 93 3DR 2.0T T5.

While i was having issues with starting, while engine was warm. My dear Saab decided to die on my while i was pulling in the parking lot.

Engine Cranks, fuel pump sends, i hear beautiful powerful sound of fresh battery. But no start.

I tried my times to start the engine, but it didn't work. (Opening the hood the cool down the engine, checking DIC wires, cooing down the CPS ect.). Well CAA came to my help and brought the car to a CAA approved garage.

Well, i was thinking the problem could be with CPS or fuel filter...

So the mail story starts:

First of all, I have asked to be changed CPS with the OEM Bosch brand and the fuel filter.

After all garage calls me and says: We can't still start the car. After 2 days of diagnoses, the problem was DIC.

Okay. that's cool. So i assume that i wont have any more problems regarding to hard start. Well, I was WRONG.

The car having really hard time to start when engine is warm. If i do cold start, even with -20, -30. My car starts like a charm and make my neighbours jealous!!!!.

So, I have been looking for last 2 weeks, what could be the problem.

The cause of hard start: DIC, CPS, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Bad SparkPlugs, burned Fuse.

I have changed, DIC, CPS, Fuel Filter, (Fuel Pump Checked many times and works like a charm), spark plugs changed last summer, i couldn't see any burned fuse.

What else? I can't afford to go to a garage any more for diagnostic with crazy diagnostic fees.

I am not a neither A+ technician nor F. Somewhere between. A handy guy with great set of tools (Stanley Fat Max).

So, I am calling ppl from England, Sweden Canada, Etc.

Any Idea what could be it?

Note: Soon, i will purchase a another DIC unit to have it in my trunk (many forum pages suggestion), however since i have already changed once, i dont think it is the problem.

Thank you in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Elder

I know you said that you replaced the crank position sensor, but this really sounds like a cps issue.

It is unusual for new parts to fail, but it does happen.

I would pull the cps and make sure that they didn't forget to remove the o-ring from the old sensor before installing the new one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
TSLMember

Do you know if you are getting a spark?

Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
I hope you're not paying for the dic unit as that was not the problem.
Fuel pump wouldn't be only when warm. pump 100/ assembly 300 plus labor
Filter would cause issues be at anytime and is a cheap swap out. 20 bucks plus labor
Spark plugs are another easy/cheap swap but I dout that's the issue too. 12 bucks plus labor
CPs would run you 50-90 plus labor.
All can be swapped with a C rated DIY with basic tools/ingenuity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I know you said that you replaced the crank position sensor, but this really sounds like a cps issue.

It is unusual for new parts to fail, but it does happen.

I would pull the cps and make sure that they didn't forget to remove the o-ring from the old sensor before installing the new one.
That's seems an option actually, i never thought about that b4.....

let me see whats up
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Do you know if you are getting a spark?
Yah, car runs time to time. But as i mentioned above, It starts like a charm in -20, -30 as a cold start
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
I hope you're not paying for the dic unit as that was not the problem.
Fuel pump wouldn't be only when warm. pump 100/ assembly 300 plus labor
Filter would cause issues be at anytime and is a cheap swap out. 20 bucks plus labor
Spark plugs are another easy/cheap swap but I dout that's the issue too. 12 bucks plus labor
CPs would run you 50-90 plus labor.
All can be swapped with a C rated DIY with basic tools/ingenuity
I already paid 850, with Used DIC, brand-new fuel filter,brand new bosch CPS, crack fuel line pipe , Alignment + Lebour.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
SAABeginner

An update,

I was reading numerous forum pages regarding to solution.

Shifting gear up and down just before starting the car seems like working. Could be a matter of luck...

However, i am still seeking for a technical solution or modification regarding to matter. Anyone?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Elder

Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission?

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission?
Manual
Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Elder

Transmission should have nothing to do with it, if the starter is cranking but the engine just doesn't start.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Elder

How about another way, check the grounds and connections to the starter/solenoid. Same with battery cables for corrosion.

CPS was done, worth doublechecking that it not bad out of the box.

Can you hear the fuel pump when it doesn't start?

Shifting gear up and down just before starting the car seems like working. Could be a matter of luck... Note: Works on an auto because the neutral safety switch(NSS could be bad) Not applicable to a manual.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert

Last edited by oliversexpedition; 03-19-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Transmission should have nothing to do with it, if the starter is cranking but the engine just doesn't start.
yah, i know, but it seems like doing something... or maybe touching some cables around the transmission box?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
How about another way, check the grounds and connections to the starter/solenoid. Same with battery cables for corrosion.

CPS was done, worth doublechecking that it not bad out of the box.

Can you hear the fuel pump when it doesn't start?

Shifting gear up and down just before starting the car seems like working. Could be a matter of luck... Note: Works on an auto because the neutral safety switch(NSS could be bad) Not applicable to a manual.
when the weather gets warmer i will check the o-ring for the CPS, Later i will follow the the grounds and the connections.

I doubt is it is the fuel pump because, i only stall once, and i dont have a shaky ride.

I am thinking of.... could be a wire or couple of wires... When the engine is warm, the connections are expended due to heat, they cause a problem...

but it seems too far ahead!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
SAABeginner

An update,

THe theory of changing the manual gear has failed. It is a rainy day, i stop the car. Walked in a plaza, got out with in 30 min. Conditions: Warm engine, full fuel, fuel pump is giving decent sound and warm car

What happened is that, when it was firing to start, it kidda chuckled and coughed and refused to start. I said: " Holly mmf$&%@#*&." and Gave a try again with my foot on the gas pedal, then it started.

Could it be somewhere in the fuel lines?
Old 05-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
SAABeginner

I have been having the same issue except you can add that the car will stall occasionally at idle. Runs great other than the fact that stall at idle sometimes and hard to start when hot. I also replaced CPS and cant tell if it helped at all but it deff didn't fix the problem and i made sure the old oring came out, unless theres 2 from someone before me not removing it. Im not sure if the two issue are related or not. My next attempt was to try and replace the DIC although now im not too sure whether i should or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery, cps, dic, hard to start, warm engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in