Viggen Death Knock - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Viggen Death Knock

Just noticed what sounds like rod bearing knock after getting home yesterday. I've reviewed this thread:

https://www.saablink.net/forum/genera...tion/49887.htm

I'm tempted to take tomorrow off from work and pull the pan to see how bad the damage is, but even if it is salvageable the weather here (Kitchener, Ontario) makes it difficult to complete a job like this since I don't have a garage to work in. No oil light has come on, and no mixing is evident. Oil also looks good. It doesn't sound like any debris is in there...just a constant knock which increases/decreases with engine rpm changes.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea of how long I can get away driving it like this based on what I've described. The knock is mild, and I drive 10 minutes each way to work in city traffic every day. If I can make it to April I can pull my SPG out of storage and use that, rather than having to buy another SAAB right away.

I don't have a lot of time available to fix this, and was planning on getting rid of it later in the year anyway. If anyone is interested in a Viggen parts car let me know. It's still plated for NY (never got around to importing it to Canada). I think it will make it back to the U.S. ok if anyone is interested in coming to NY to pick it up. Otherwise there's always the crusher.

Cheers,
Chris
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #2

After blowing an oil cooler line, I drove with audible lower end knocking for a couple of weeks. What I thought was rod knock turned out to be piston slap from overheated piston skirts whacking against the sides of the cylinder walls. Block needed to be pulled and rebored.

So, my advice would be to park it until you can check the bottom end bearings.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Thanks Mike. I'm interested to find out what the cause was since I've been meticulous with oil changes and maintenance. I'll report back when I have an update.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Elder

Try removing or loosening the serp. belt and run it a little. Sometimes failing water pumps can have a similar sound. Maybe you get lucky?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Try removing or loosening the serp. belt and run it a little. Sometimes failing water pumps can have a similar sound. Maybe you get lucky?
It's worth a shot. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

As I suspected it was definitely terminal. I rolled the dice and attempted to make one last trip into work with it. Managed to make it into work for the day, but on the way home yesterday the engine seized.

I'm having a wrecker come get it soon, but figured I would see if anyone needs any parts. I'll grab what I can as long as it's not too much effort to remove. Let me know via PM if you have a request. Car is a red 2001 Viggen (4 door).
Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
lms

A wrecker, dude get that thing home and either put either a short block in it or at least strip it for parts, people pay good money for the body parts, seats, etc..
Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
A wrecker, dude get that thing home and either put either a short block in it or at least strip it for parts, people pay good money for the body parts, seats, etc..
If I had the means to do so I would. The bumpers front and back were toast, so no value there anyway. I grabbed the DI, grille, charge bypass valve, side trim covers, and some other knick knacks. The only thing I regret not taking are the seats, but the guys are going to hold them for me. They aren't crushing the car until after it's parted.

R.I.P. Viggen.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Elder

I'm disappointed
Old 03-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I'm disappointed
Me too, but now I'll be able to spend more time on the SPG.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Dude, part it out on here you will make WAY more money off of it then selling it to the wrecker... I would like to get the transmission from you if possible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in