I'm so screwed/please help - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
TSLMember

I'm so screwed/please help

so i was going to change the fuel pump on my ng900 with a walbro 225. i had already installed the new pump in a housing from my parts car. when i was removing the pump i broke one of the nipples feeding into the pump. (no biggie i'll just use the one from the parts car). basically what happens next is try to heat the line to remove the broken piece and i catch the car on fire (yes you read that correctly). it took a minute to put out and it was not good. the threads for the retaining ring are melted pretty bad and it managed to melt both fuel lines. i have some pictures to attach so you have a better view. i feel totally lost and like a huge dumbass. any help is appreciated on how i can fix this and get my car running again
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
TSLMember

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140223_170735.jpg (365.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20140223_170712.jpg (382.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20140223_170751.jpg (416.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20140223_170740.jpg (411.8 KB, 25 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Elder

Oh man sorry to see that. By the looks of it you got pretty lucky that you were able to get it out before the fuel in the tank ignited.

Looks like the tank flange is melted...time to head to the junk yard and get a whole tank and lines I'd say. You'll probably also want to wire wheel the areas where the paint burnt on the body, degrease and cover with some undercoating so it doesn't rust through.

Glad you didn't get burned!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
TSLMember

good thing i have a spare car in the garage. i was hoping i wouldn't need to drop the whole tank and could just source some lines. I was having trouble finding a diagram for the lines. the pressure line goes straight to fuel filter i'm assuming? what about the return line? is that run all the way to the engine? thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
You sir are a crazy man, open flames near the fuel tank. Glad to see you didnt get hurt but you're lucky no vapors or fuel caught fire other wise you'd have one toasty saab. Like Drew said, your best bet is to find a tank from a junk yard and replace everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
TSLMember

alrighty then, looks like tomorrow after work i'm dropping the tank on the parts car. i pulled the engine out already and when i did i cut the fuel lines before the disconnects on the fuel rail. (towards the firewall) so that being said on the return line, could i just get a few feet of flexible fuel line hose and use that instead of running a whole new return line. basically run the flex line with two hose clamps on the hard line from the fuel filter area to the pump
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
TSLMember

managed to pull the tank from the parts car and fit into my car. turns out the tanks are different on the 900 and 9-3 but no so much where it wasn't able to fit with some simple modifications. Car started with the new pump in and I couldn't be happier. Thanks so much for the help guys. Wouldn't know what I would have done without you!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Wow, that is scary stuff. I am glad it worked out for you, and most importantly, that you were not hurt.

Gasoline is very dangerous stuff.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
holy crap. Lucky, lucky man.
Obviously, you have to replace the tank.
If you want to save some headache, cut the plastic lines, and get some brass barbs from a hardware store/hydrolic line shop.
You can heat the brass barb, and put them into the plastic line, and then use some rubber hose and EFI clamps to the housing. It'll be much, much easier. just... do that before there's gas in the car. and heat the barb, not the hose.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

What did you try to use to heat it? Like a torch or something? Your very lucky like everyone else said that this is really the only damage that was done. Did you get it all fixed already?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
TSLMember

yes, I replaced the tank from a 99 9-3 I had in the garage. there are some subtle differences but it fit with no problems. I patched the lines with fuel injector hose and some good fuel injector hose clamps (they're like mini t bolt clamps). they seem to be holding up fine, the only problem i'm having now is there was some bad gas in the tank so I need to bleed the lines at the fuel rail to remove any other traces of water/ice.

ps. I used a lighter to light the line. NOT SMART!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in