Check engine light, weird sounds from recirc valve? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Check engine light, weird sounds from recirc valve?

I just purchased a 2001 saab 9-3 convertable in June, 140,000 miles currently. Just recently I have taken the car in for a check up, new tires, brakes, etc. yesterday, however, the check engine light flicked on and what I believe is my recirc valve is making this strange fluttering sound when releasing turbo pressure, as opposed to its normal "exhale." If anyone has any ideas Please let me know! Thanks! Oh and everything on this car is stock!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What is the CEL code?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Would that be read on the head unit? My factory unit has some pixelation issues so I can't read anything on it.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
lms

No, head to autozone and pull codes. Have you checked under the hood to see if the vacumm hose has come off?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #5

Yeah, find someone with an OBD scanner, or buy a bluetooth scanner on amazon and download the "Torque" app on your phone and pull your own codes.

YOur car can tell you a lot.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

I use this
Amazon.com: Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7, OSX and Android: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7, OSX and Android: Computers & Accessories

And the Torque app is $5.

<$15 and you are pulling your own codes and getting a bunch of useful data.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
SAABeginner

So the vacuum hose was off, and had been throwing oil around, I reattached it. I haven't been able to run to autozone for codes yet. My check engine light turned off after I reattached the hose but flicked back on. And I'm still getting that very weird chirping sound when the turbo pressure is released.. Could it be possible that the bearings in the turbo are starting to go? Perhaps from running with the loosely sealed vacuum hose?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
SAABeginner

I'm not really familiar with the mechanics, and the guy supposed to fix my car professionally seems to be doing nothing. So I could use all the help and ideas anyone can lend. I appreciate it greatly
Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #9
lms

You said oil was coming out of the vacuum hose that was connected to the BPV? First make sure it didn't come off again, might need new hoses and or zip ties to hold them on. You might need a new BPV, pretty cheap and they do go bad. Pull the deliver pipe off and check for oil in it, if there is some then turbo might need to be rebuilt. Does it smoke; what kind of tune is it in? If the shop worked on it, they might have disrupted some hoses in the engine compartment, look closely.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
SAABeginner

Alright, I'm going to pull codes today with my buddy, and do some extra close searching. I'll post my findings. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in