Viggen Uneven Rotor Wear - Bad Caliper? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Viggen Uneven Rotor Wear - Bad Caliper?

I just replaced the pads and rotors all around on the Viggen (2001), and after driving around for a week I started noticing an annoying vibration/hum when starting off between 0 and 10 mph like metal just barely rubbing against other metal surfaces. I had a look at the front brakes, and the passenger side front rotor is wearing unevenly (see attached photo as example - no this is not from my car).

Anyway I took it apart last night and inspected all of the surfaces, cleaned and put back together. Still the same thing today, but actually a bit worse in regards to noise. I've done some noodling around, and a lot of people say the cause is more than likely a bad caliper. Looking for some confirmation from anyone on here before I go buy a rebuilt one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uneven wear.jpg (137.1 KB, 27 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Wow, never seen that spring clip before.

When you did the brakes, did the piston move easily back into the caliper?
Is the other side of the rotor in the same shape?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Wow, never seen that spring clip before.

When you did the brakes, did the piston move easily back into the caliper?
Is the other side of the rotor in the same shape?
That pic is an example from another car...not the Viggen. The piston compressed without too much effort. the opposite (inside) side pad is making perfect contact. It's just the outside surface which is wearing unevenly.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
srp
Elder

Did you put the spring clip back on and on correctly?
The spring clip pulls the outside pad parallel to the rotor.
If the spring clip is missing or not providing tension, that would explain this uneven wear.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Did you put the spring clip back on and on correctly?
The spring clip pulls the outside pad parallel to the rotor.
If the spring clip is missing or not providing tension, that would explain this uneven wear.
Yes I did put the spring clip back on correctly. Do you know whether standard 9-3 calipers will work as a replacement? I'll try to take it apart again tonight and see if I can't find something that looks out of place. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Elder

I'm not sure if your calipers are similar, but my c900 rear brake pads have a spring on them that is supposed to sit evenly in a channel on the caliper. On the c900, there is an opening down the center with a relief on either side to accept the two ends of the spring. On more than one occasion, I've gotten one side of the spring inserted in the opening instead of in the recess where it belongs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

The 9-3 front caliper doesn't have a spring where the pads rest, but there is a spring tab on the rear brakes where the pins pass through. I've never had this problem on any of my c900's or NG's.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
srp
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
Yes I did put the spring clip back on correctly. Do you know whether standard 9-3 calipers will work as a replacement? I'll try to take it apart again tonight and see if I can't find something that looks out of place. I appreciate your help.
Yes. 98-02 9-3 front calipers are "the same" as the Viggen. The only difference is the caliper carrier, and I believe the Viggen calipers are powder coated.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes. 98-02 9-3 front calipers are "the same" as the Viggen. The only difference is the caliper carrier, and I believe the Viggen calipers are powder coated.
Cool. It looks like I could get away with using a 9-5 front caliper as well:

https://www.saablink.net/forum/genera...tion/61433.htm
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
srp
Elder

yes, 9-5 front caliper up to 2002.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
yes, 9-5 front caliper up to 2002.
@SRP: Am I remembering correctly that you have an LB Viggen, or am I thinking of someone else? I think I may have bugged you previously regarding the driveshafts on the Viggen as well. Thanks for the help. I'm going to grab one of these and hopefully that will do the job:

SAAB Disc Brake Caliper - Front Passenger Side - NuGeon 2209126R - Free Shipping

I've replaced a couple calipers on the SPG with NuGeon without any trouble, so hopefully the 9-5 variants will be decent quality.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
srp
Elder

Nope. no LB Viggen here.

Might want to consider replacing both calipers if the one is indeed shot. Tires, calipers, headlight bulbs, pads, rotors, wipers, etc. Systems that have matching parts and are designed to work together, I always replace in pairs.

Just don't use the carrier on that caliper and you should be fine.
You may be able to find one locally for a good price as well.

If your not driving the car, you could disassemble the caliper and see if the the seals are shot or if the pistons surface is corroded. If the piston is ok, you could just rebuild the caliper.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #13

Unfortunately it's my daily driver, and I can't drive my SPG because it doesn't allow for placement of a car seat (I have to run my daughter to day care at least three times a week). If I have time to do it on a weekend at least I could probably sandblast and respray the existing caliper's carrier before the new one arrives.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
The piston compressed without too much effort. the opposite (inside) side pad is making perfect contact. It's just the outside surface which is wearing unevenly.
Sounds like one of the guide pins is seized. Did you remove the pins when you removed the caliper to change the rotor? If not you might want to pull them, clean them up, lubricate and reinstall.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iant55 View Post
Sounds like one of the guide pins is seized. Did you remove the pins when you removed the caliper to change the rotor? If not you might want to pull them, clean them up, lubricate and reinstall.
Yes the guide pins must be removed in order to pull the caliper from the carrier. I took both fronts apart last night, and found that the passenger side piston was not actuating properly. When I pressed it back into the caliper it was noticeably uneven. I made an e-euro order last night for a pair of rebuilt calipers which should take care of things.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #16

Only slightly off-topic but....

You can DEFINITELY fit a car seat into a C900 coupe, both rear facing and forward facing upright. It doesn't have the "LATCH" system but you should still be able to secure it with the belts.

I did it for four years with my C900...(of course, my back hated me after that...) _
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Only slightly off-topic but....

You can DEFINITELY fit a car seat into a C900 coupe, both rear facing and forward facing upright. It doesn't have the "LATCH" system but you should still be able to secure it with the belts.

I did it for four years with my C900...(of course, my back hated me after that...) _
You make a good point, but I doubt my wife will be up for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in