1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen: ABS Light - Speedo works fine - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
SAABeginner

1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen: ABS Light - Speedo works fine

Stats: 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen Stage 3+. 110,000 miles. Stage3+ for about...2 years now.

Right now, I have NO CEL on. When the CEL was on - it gave P1110 which once I replaced the 55557331 Boost Control Valve, cleaned the MAF, and checked the Forge BPV (took apart, re-greased) - then cleared. the P1110 has not been back since. I'm going to at some point do Nick T's bypass boost control valve mod, but not till i get everything working right....(I also need to adjust the wastegate actuator - I have a forge one in for a week now, and i lost my "snap to the back of the seat tear the tires loose in 3rd gear" turbo I use to have...)

Now, at the same time that I got several CEL codes, the ABS light, the exclamation light of doom, and "brake" light all came on. Speedometer works fine. I figured first thing would be to reman the ABS module. (took care of the CEL with the above activities)

In the process of sending the ABS module to BBA - i found a 1999 ABS module on ebay for 9.99 (yes..9.99) and thought I'd give it a try. put it in, had my mechanic "mate" it - no joy. shrugged - 9.99 was worth a try to get a whole new one...left it on to protect the contacts till the reman came back.

Just got the Reman from BBA (the original one that is already tied to the car). Put it in. Lights are all still on, no CEL. (yet...will not believe CEL is gone till at least 100 miles in)

I'm looking for some ideas here. I'm thinking that it isn't the wheel sensor because the speedometer works? I'm thinking it isn't the ABS module because I've tried two of them now, with same results. I really could use some help on this one.

Saab experts out there? give me some courses of action to take? how can I diagnose?

My mechanic is a great guy, and often doesn't charge me to hang out with him and work on the car, and he's a GM master mechanic with 30 years experience, but I'm starting to feel a bit .... I love my car...most of the time, but..man...this is hard. those lights make me sad.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
You need someone with a scan tool that can read the ABS computer. It should tell you whats wrong.

The ABS sensor used for speed signal is in the rear. It's possible you have a bad one up front or perhaps enough metal dust has built up on the sensor to mess with the reading.
Try cleaning the sensor and contacts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
You need someone with a scan tool that can read the ABS computer. It should tell you whats wrong.

The ABS sensor used for speed signal is in the rear. It's possible you have a bad one up front or perhaps enough metal dust has built up on the sensor to mess with the reading.
Try cleaning the sensor and contacts.

Thank you for the info, and thank you for not mocking me for the wrong place for the speed sensor - I'm new to all these parts, and I'm just trying to make heads/tails of things.

2 questions as follow up:
1. does that abs wheel sensor "go bad" often - I mean, is it a common thing to break? -- best way to clean sensor?

2. What's the step after that - say I clean it or replace it - and that doesn't work - what would you try next?

THANK YOU!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
There is nothing to go bad besides corrosion on the connector pins, broken wire or broken sensor.

I'd start with a visual inspection of the front sensors. They are bolted to the knuckle behinds the rotor dust shield. Make sure they didn't get broken off. Then follow the wire up to where it plugs in. I don't know if its in the wheel well or in the engine compartment. Make sure its plugged in. Unplug it and make sure the contacts are in good shape.
Then inspect the gap between the sensor tip and the sensor ring on the half shaft by the knuckle. If there is any debris, clean it off with a blast of compressed air.

If none of that helps, I'd find a shop that can scan the ABS computer and give you the exact code before you go dumping cash on replacement sensors.

I don't remember exactly, but I believe speed is sensed from the right rear ABS sensor.
Unfortunately the rear ABS sensors are built into the rear hubs. So if one of those has gone bad, you'll need to replace the hubs.

Extra note, be sure to check all your body grounds. Faulty grounding can cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
TSLMember

The sensors rarely spontaneously fail. Usually takes physical damage or corrosion to kill them.

On the fronts, visually check the sensors and wiring, it's possible for a small stone to get caught between the steering knuckle and sensor ring damaging either the ring or the sensor itself.

On the rears, consider swapping the hubs left to right after inspecting the wiring and plugs. If the speedo quits, you've narrowed the problem to the rear sensors, if the problem remains, it's back to the wiring or front sensors.

Certainly the easiest solution is a Tech 2 unit, it'd be able to tell you which corner of the car has the problem making the inspections and correction easier.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
where are you located? i could help you diag it if you live in the area
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
where are you located? i could help you diag it if you live in the area
very nice of you! I'm in Milwaukee, WI - so...far away. LOL. but still, a very nice offer.

I'm by the Brew City Boost crew, and I might head over there - I was thinking about ironing all these issues out and then getting a re-map from them - in person dyno'd n' all. Right now it is a maptun through genuinesaab. I have to say, so far my first tune - my stage 1 -- was the best, but i paid dearly for it... (Abbott Racing)

My mechanic is GM so he has all the right stuff - but he usually uses something different than the traditional "Tech 2" I've seen. I don't know enough about pricey alternatives to TECH 2, if they even exist, so I can't really give a model on it...

I'm heading over to my mechanic on sat - we'll play with it more, and I'll report back.

thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I've got a Tech2 -- about 100 miles north.

There's a fall cruise coming soon, I think. I'll bring it with me if I'm able to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantinne View Post
I've got a Tech2 -- about 100 miles north.

There's a fall cruise coming soon, I think. I'll bring it with me if I'm able to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
ah nice! were you down for one of the last cruises? -- I know "Joe" pretty well, if you know him - black viggen vert, 9-5, 9-3, and...i have no idea what else he has...

I went to one cruise once - car was in shop. then the last one we had down here I couldn't make...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
abs, abs module, wheel sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in