1995 900s // No Start // Ermahgerd - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Angry 1995 900s // No Start // Ermahgerd

Hey guys,

been a long time since I've been tooling around on here. miss it.

anyway, Im having an issue with my Serb. 1995 900s 2.3l (n/a). Previously, the car quit running because the rotor in the distributor completely fried. I replaced the rotor/cap, plugs, and wires. Car fired right up, and ran great for about 4-5 starts. Drove it 15-20 miles each time. Then, the next day, I get this shit... (see video).

1995 Saab 900s // 2.3l // No Start - YouTube

Rotor, and cap are fine. Theyre not out of place, or wrongly sealed. The lead coming out of the cap is fine also. Im sure you can see the dash lights flickering in all sorts of bullshit ways. I was thinking a ground issue, but Im not really seeing anything yet thats corroded, or bad. I even added a ground to the motor, and it didnt help in the slightest.

I can usually hear my fuel pump whirring, but with the back seat lifted, and the cut out exposed - I cant hear it fire up when I turn the ignition on. But I dont think this is a fuel delivery issue -- especially since Im getting such fuckery with all the lights flickering.

Someone please guide me in the right direction. I have extremely limited time to fix it, so I was hoping for a lil help from the community. -- why would it run just fine, then all the sudden just crap out, and refuse to start? The metal on metal 'chirping' youre hearing when the car turns over is just the pulleys being dry. The car hasnt been driven for about 4 months. I just had to set it aside, and I've been rocking my '86 SPG since. However, the turbo just locked up in it, so Im forced to get the old daily driver going. BTW - anyone have a rebuilt, or decently used oil cooled turbo for my SPG? PM me! I have cool stuff to trade as well for SPG's.

Thank you for any, and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Weak battery. That's first. It sounds a little low.

Next, you won't hear the pump run in this car until the motor is turning/running. Yes, pull the back seat up, pull the plug and see if maybe you can hear it run while cranking. Kinda hard. I only hear it when the car is running or 2 seconds after a stall.

Next, loosen the fuel filter on the exit side to the engine. If it spews fuel, then your getting pressure and the pump should be ok. IF not, check the filter inlet. Loosen that up. If it spews fuel, you need a new filter. IF no fuel, then check your pump. Watch your fuel lines for kinks. That hard plastic kinks easy and creates interesting fuel supply issues/problems.

Next, check the gap on your plugs. This car is picky and even though 0.04 worked when you first put it in, with a little carbon buildup now, you'll need that gap down around .024 to .028 as it should say on the sticker in the front of the car and in the manual. Go NGK copper or Iridiums.

Next, you can try disconnecting the MAF and see if your car starts ok without that connected. I've been through that in a previous post. If it works without the MAF connected, it doesn't mean the MAF is bad it just isolates your problem to a fuel air mixture problem perceived by the ECU.

As always, watch your vacuum leaks and disconnecting the MAF should start the car with any leaks in effect.

If your car has been sitting you will eventually need a can of seafoam in the gas tank to also cleanout the injectors.

But with your lights, I'd go battery first since i heard a weak battery can cause starting issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i'll write more in a bit - still at work..

thank you.

i dont believe its a fuel issue because Ive had the pump replaced before, and it never caused the dash lights to flicker, and go crazy. Ive never seen the dash lights act like that.

It WAS a weak battery - though it does the same exact thing with a brand new battery. I thought the one I had was maybe shorted, or something - so i took the one out of the SPG to crank on it. wore the battery down before I had filmed the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in