Inoperative side window - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Elder

Inoperative side window

I was leaving church this morning, and I looked back and noticed that my rear passenger-side window was down. Trying to raise it failed, and I tried every combination of switches with no success. I grabbed the window with my hands and pulled it up; it was loose.

Once I got back home, I took the door trim off so I could see what was going on. I found that the plastic piece that holds the window to the track and lift mechanism is broken. I'm gonna see if some SuperGlue will be enough to hold it for now. (unless anyone has a better suggestion...) For the long term, though, I'll need to get this part replaced. Can anyone help me find one?

Here's what it looks like right now:

Thanks,
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
hmm looks like its time to go buy some JB weld, it should hold that quite a bit better than super glue.

Paul

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Elder

Good point. I'd do it if it wasn't a Sunday AND Christmas... so I think IHOP is about the only place open. Maybe some Butter Pecan syrup would do the trick...

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice
Good point. I'd do it if it wasn't a Sunday AND Christmas... so I think IHOP is about the only place open. Maybe some Butter Pecan syrup would do the trick...
fair enough, but you should have things like that on hand at all times!

Paul

Old 12-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice
Maybe some Butter Pecan syrup would do the trick...
the funny thing is it likely would

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 12-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Elder

So SuperGlue, Krazy Glue, Gorilla Glue, and zip-ties all failed to provide a decent working solution. I did manage to wedge a piece of styrofoam next to the window in such a way that it will at least stay up. I'll try to get some JB Weld tomorrow to see if that will work where the others have failed. I still haven't been able to track down a part number on the plastic piece that is broken, but a buddy with another GM car said that it cost him $75 plus labor to replace a similar part on his car. So... unless the JB Weld works, I'll probably just stick with the styrofoam solution. It's cold outside: why would I want my rear window down anyway?

Oh yeah... I forgot to try the butter pecan syrup - I'll try that if JB doesn't do the trick

Merry Christmas!
-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Elder

Update: the styrofoam failed. It's enough to hold the window up when the car sits still, but as soon as I move at all, the window falls back down. So I'm back to square one. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
Elder

tape is your friend, i reccomend masking tape though or some kind of painters tape, unless you like that sticky crap that duct tape leaves behind. short of actually fixing the window, thats probably your only hope

Paul

Old 12-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
Elder

*sigh* Well, I spent all day working on it, and still no luck. Two different applications of JB Weld, and it still all falls apart. I might try once more in the morning, but I'm not hopeful. So now it would be wonderful if someone could help me identify the part pictured in the first post, cause it looks like I'll be ordering one.

Thanks, and good night.
-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
Elder

ID this part?

I took the paneling off the driver's side rear door so I could see what this window stuff is supposed to look like. Here's a picture of the piece that's broken on the passenger side door - can someone please identify it?

Thanks,
-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
Elder

Okay, so I had the part identified as a piece of the rear window regulator - a $275 part

Anyway, I had my mechanic go on and order the part, and he'll hopefully do the install on Thursday. I'd do it myself, but from the WIS, it looks like it's a pretty tricky install. We'll see how it goes.

Til then, I can't be driving around with my rear window down all the time (supposed to rain tomorrow), so I did a temporary fix.

Isn't it pretty?

-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Did you try ebay and people who are parting out ng900/9-3's? Iknow you could have gotten it for much less. That is how i find all my unique crap for my car

Old 12-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #13
Elder

I checked a few places, but I'm just sick of dealing with it, so I got my mech to take care of it. Can't wait to get it fixed on Thursday so I can get back to the intercooler sprayer project.

-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
Mine broke too... rear pass window... I just used a pice of wood to pin the bitch so it stays up and sealed... and have just been putting off replacing it(being I never sit in the back seat of my car... it effects me none), but if that little piece of plastic is $250....safe bet I wont be getting it fixed any time soon. No chance in hell Id pay that for something that cost 75 cents to make.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold
Old 01-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #15
Elder

Turns out that the piece is a part of the window regulator assembly, and you can't buy just that one piece. So to replace a tiny piece of plastic, I had to buy a $275 part. + installation (I'd had enough of dealing with that stupid window).

I tried every way of holding the window up - wood, styrofoam, epoxy, JB Weld, etc, and I had no luck. If your solution works, keep it. I also never use the rear windows, so it's not really worth the price to me.

-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in