Car alarm keeps going off - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
TSLMember

Car alarm keeps going off

Hey guys. So my '02 9-3 is being a pain. Every time I go to lock the car the alarm goes off. I've tried re-closing all the doors and the trunk (multiple times) and changing the alarm option on the SID to "Door sensors only", but nothing seems to work. The internet tells me that my alarm battery is probably kaput - is there anything else it could be?

Also, can I do anything - pull a fuse, disconnect something, etc. - so I can lock my car? Just until I can get it fixed? Right now I'm leaving it unlocked since I live in the boonies, but since I'm going to pick my sister up from the airport next week I'd prefer to lock my car. So my troublesome baby doesn't get stolen.

Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Elder

it is probably the alarm battery and no their isnt a fuse to pull as far as i know. pulling a fuse makes the alarm think the car is being stolen and it goes off.

one other thing to check is the hood sensor. under the hood there should be this rubber cone with a box under it that the hood pushes down on when closed. if this is worn out and doesnt sense that its closed itll go off thinking its being hotwired or something like that.

most garages can bypass for around $80 or so as its a very quick fix for them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
bba sells new batteries, I think.
or, like stated.. you can tech-2 it off, completely.

My wagon randomly goes off every once in a while for 2-3 second/chirps, and then it's like nothing happened. Some day I'll get to replacing the battery, but for now, I don't even get an alarm message on the SID.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

As I've said in prior posts, its not always the batteries in the alarm that go bad. There's a couple capacitors and other bits that can go bad too.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

I'm getting a "service theft alarm battery" from the connect the dots pixels I can read on my SID.
Spoke to dealer parts department and they said try replacing the main battery (which is on it's last leg). They also said they don't sell just the theft alarm battery and the theft alarm unit is mucho dinero from Saab.

They suggested buying a used alarm unit on ebay if replacing the main battery didn't work.

The main battery was disconnected and the alarm was running until the alarm battery gave out. Main battery was disconnected for easily 6 or 7 months with no juice going to the car or alarm.

Anybody have experience with this?
TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyPc View Post
As I've said in prior posts, its not always the batteries in the alarm that go bad. There's a couple capacitors and other bits that can go bad too.

Last edited by Dean C; 01-19-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Most likely you killed the alarm battery once the car battery died. It runs off the car battery, but if the power goes, it switches to the alarm battery. Pull on that enough with an old alarm and you can likely kill it.

Some folks have replaced the alarm battery. If you google around, you can probably find some pointers to replacement batteries. AFAIR, they have to be soldered into the unit.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

was wondering could anyone help i am looking to find the alarm unit in an 08 saab 9-3??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in