Solved P0741 and P0743 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Solved P0741 and P0743

I thought I would post an update/resolution to my P0741 & P0743 saga. Short story: Check engine light would come on then go off. My mpg dropped from about 25mpg to just over 20mpg. After about a month or so, the light stayed on permanently. I had the codes read and I got P0741 & P0743.

Using the WIS, I began to troubleshoot. The first thing I did was pull the glove box (about a 5 minute job) so I could access the transmission ecu. I disconnected the ecu from the connector and tested PIN 2 with a voltmeter. The voltmeter showed that the lock-up solenoid was bad. I ordered a new one from EBAY and waited the 3 days for it to arrive.

On Tuesday, I decided to tackle the replacement. The first thing I did was jack the car up and put it on jack stands. I removed the driver side front wheel and the lower air dam/air shield. The WIS has you using an engine lifting beam. I decided to use a jack stand to support the transmission from below. I then removed the battery and battery tray (makes it easier to get to a couple of bolts). I used the air spray nozzle to shoot off all dirt and grime around that part of transmission. I positioned the jack and crawled under the car. I removed the two bolts securing the transmission mount to the car and then removed the 3 bolts securing the mount to the transmission (the top right bolt was a pain…glad I removed the battery). The transmission ground is also attached by a bolt to the mount.

After you pull the ground you need to remove the nut behind the ground (double nutted…lol). I pulled the mount and bracket out and set them aside (be sure to check that the mount is in good condition-mine was as I had it replaced about 15k miles ago). Then I removed the transmission cooler lines (2 of them) and pushed them aside. I removed the transmission temp sensor cover. Phew…about an hour into the job so far…time to take a break. LOL I started removing the 8 bolts from the valve body. Make sure you note their location as there are 4 different bolt sizes. I’m glad I did. We had to jack the engine/tranny up about an 1” to get to the bottom bolt on the valve body cover.

With all the bolts off, it was time to remove the cover. The cover is an absolute pain to remove. It took some maneuvering but we were finally able to get it out! At this point, I hope the kids are in the house because there was a lot of cursing. J I removed the offending solenoid and tested it with the voltmeter and it was bad. We popped the new one in began reassembly. The first thing we did was clean the cover with carb cleaner and scrapped off all the old sealing compound with a wire brush. Then I did the same thing to the transmission where the valve body cover mounts. I applied the sealing compound and reattached the valve body cover. It went together MUCH easier since I had a clue as to what I was doing.

I finished reassembling the car, added transmission fluid, and took it for a test drive. Everything seemed fine but I still had the check engine light on. I drove the car to the nearest auto parts store to reset the computer. I then drove the car around the block. After I came home, I jacked the car back up to check for leaks. Everything was tight!

I decided to take the car on a 150ish mile drive on the interstate as I was told it takes about 100-150 miles for the computer to completely clear the code. I was astonished with my mpg. I set the cruise at 78 and averaged 29.2 mpg. WooHoo! I am assuming that the P0741 code was tripped because of the bad solenoid P0743. All is good and the car is running awesomely. In all, I spent about 4 hours on the project. The stealer wanted $550-600 in labor and my local indie Saab guy wanted about $400 to do the job.

Last edited by Saabeh; 01-04-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Paragraphs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Great write up, more should do this. What's a bummer is when someone posts a problem, people respond on how to fix, but lots of people never finish the thread on what it was that fixed the issue.
Good job
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Hi, new this particular forum, been a frequent lurker and poster on saabcentral though. I have a 2001 9-3 SE and I have the same codes currently and I've been trying to track down the part number for the TCC solenoid. Since you had success with this fix, would you happen to know what the part number is?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Great job. I understand. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in