Odd alignment issue - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Odd alignment issue

So I went to get my car aligned and I have some toe issues on the front wheels. The front left wheel is pointed out to the left more than it should be (i'm no sure if that's positive or negative...). Anyways, the place that did the alignment could not get it to work after three tries and I watched them do it the first time. The guy was under the car and aligned the front wheels within spec. He then had his coworker get in the car and steer left, right, and then back to center. Upon returning to center the alignment was off again. We did this three more times and I was the one turning the wheel the last two times with the same result.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!
The only adjustments can be made by the tie rod and I've replaced those with new ones. What am I missing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
Have you replaced the bushings on the inner tie rods? They could be trashed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

^ that or bad ball joints, loose strut collar, or bad/loose strut mounts, bad outer tie rod ends (replaced?), bad control arm bushings, etc. Something is moving at the top or bottom.

Jack one side of the car, leave the other wheel on the ground. Wiggle it at 12 and 6 and then 9 and 3. Look for play.

How many miles? What's been replaced?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
The only adjustments can be made by the tie rod and I've replaced those with new ones.
^Tie rod ends have been replaced.
Polyurethane strut mounts, polyurethane control arm bushings, sway bar end links, shocks/springs, and a pair of used control arms/ball joints that have about 20k or less on them. All of this was done this past May.

I know they're used but the ball joints felt nice and tight when I picked them up and when I tested them. I'll try prying at them again with a prybar but there was no play when I tested them last time.

I bought inner tie rod bushings but the old ones seemed to be in good shape (no cracks or signs of wear). The alignment wasn't off before I did all the suspension work so I don't think it was these.

I do hear some harsher road noise going over bumps but I figured that was the poly strut mounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

So I haven't driven the car for about 3 weeks now because of having my turbo rebuilt.

While it's on the stands though, I'm ordering poly stanchion bushings since I didn't know they even made these back when I originally bought the suspension parts. I heard from someone else that when they did an entire suspension overhaul on their 9-3, they noticed that the car lost alignment pretty easily and these were the only bushings that weren't replaced. Once he swapped these in, the car practically realigned itself.

My questions is, has anyone else noticed this happen to them?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
So I haven't driven the car for about 3 weeks now because of having my turbo rebuilt.

While it's on the stands though, I'm ordering poly stanchion bushings since I didn't know they even made these back when I originally bought the suspension parts.
Poly stanchion arm bushings aren't usually recommended. Nick Taliaferro says that they're stiffer in the direction that makes the arms harder to put on, but they're no stiffer than the stock rubber bushings in the direction that the arms move. The only advantage I can see to them is that the average person can install them. Aftermarket rubber bushings are cheap, but you'll have to pay a shop to press them in.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
Poly stanchion arm bushings aren't usually recommended. Nick Taliaferro says that they're stiffer in the direction that makes the arms harder to put on, but they're no stiffer than the stock rubber bushings in the direction that the arms move. The only advantage I can see to them is that the average person can install them. Aftermarket rubber bushings are cheap, but you'll have to pay a shop to press them in.
I know the OEM ones are the better buy, but does that mean the aftermarket stock style bushings are the same quality as the OEM Saab bushings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in