road noise from viggen tires? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
TSLMember

road noise from viggen tires?

So I just recently rotated my tires on my 2001 Viggen, cause of some road noise, thinking that the rear tires will not have as much wear, but to my surprise the road noise is worse. The tires are new primewells with less than 10k on them. I have been reading some things on this issue and alot of the same issues that other viggen owners are having, it seems like it is because of the Viggens negative rear suspension camber and that it cant be adjusted? Is this true and if so what can be my best defense in eliminating some of the tire noise, more rotations more often, harder cornering? thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Never heard of prime wells.....my last set of dunlop direzzas were extremely noisy as they aged. Present Michelin pilot sports are silent......

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Best way to eliminate tire noise on off-brand bargain tires made in China is to inflate them to 38 psi, deflate to 20 psi, then re-inflate to 40 psi...then remove them and burn them.

Shitty tires make the Baby Jesus weep.

EDIT: I should have been more specific. With shitty tires on the car, there's no way to tell whether the increased road noise is coming from an errant suspension setting or from the tires themselves. Even some good tire brands have specific tread designs that cause noise; classic case is the BFG gForce KDW2. They hum like truck tires exactly between 40-45 mph.

But Primewells? Dunno if I've ever heard of them being put on anything but a basic auto appliance...

Last edited by mike saunders; 08-07-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
TSLMember

like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for...but the funny thing is i had a set of $1,300 pirellis and they pretty much did the same thing, just my luck...i had the same issue with my VW 20th anniv. GTI, I think the problem lies with the factory tuned lowered suspension on these specialty vehicles, they suck the life out of any tire, but I guess that is the pain I will live with in owning my viggen
Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #5

There's going to be a bit more road noise in a car with a stiffer suspension, regardless of brand, but the rear tire wear in the NG900/9-3 can be helped a bit with shims...
Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
gm

Why does road noise go up in a stiffly sprung car vs soft?

No audible db increase when I changes stock suspension to aftermarket stuff....

Like stated some treads are noisier then other... Some compounds noisier then others.... Cheap tires are always noisier then others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

There's always more vibration transmitted to the cabin with a stiffer suspension, but when you put on bad rubber it's tough to determine the actual source of the noise....
Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Wheel bearing/s?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Those primewell tires are JUNK!!! There was a set on our viggen when we got it (not sure if you live near NJ, but that's where ours was from) GET NEW TIRES!!! The noise will go away magically.

Ours were so bad they looked like a teenagers face. Got that and an alignment done at the same time. Bought Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Excellent. Silent.

When we got the car I thought it had a wheel bearing out. Then I swapped wheels with my 9-5 for a weekend and learned it was the tires.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #10

I had Bridgestone's on my Viggen and they were so noisy it was stupid. My GY Eagles have about 20K on them and they are starting to get a little noisy too.
Kinda OT but our Ford Edge wears Yoko's and they are brutally noisy. I can hardly wait till they need replacement.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
Bought Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Excellent. Silent.
My Conti Extremes were great for 20K miles, then they got noisy and developed out of round issues. I checked them out again in the reviews at Tirerack when tire shopping recently... seems that a fair number of people have these issues with them.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
TSLMember

I dont think it is a wheel bearing. Just b4 i did the rotation the noise was bad, I noticed it around 35-45mph, it was kinda like a wobbling vibrating sound it almost sounded like I had a set of snow tires, but since i did the rotation, it is very bad and i can tell now that it is because the rear tires r actually worse, so mayb i will just rotate back until I can afford a good set of rubber. I cant think of anything else that would b bad or going bad, I just did a new engine with new clutch, throw out bearing, new air flow meter, etc etc etc etc.....Thanks for all your help and comments guys, I'm just excited to be back in a SAAB especially my Viggen, I spent toooo many yrs in a VW
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
My Conti Extremes were great for 20K miles, then they got noisy and developed out of round issues. I checked them out again in the reviews at Tirerack when tire shopping recently... seems that a fair number of people have these issues with them.
Have around 20k on the ones on my 9-5, still good (no noise/issues) and have good life left. Just about 10k on the ones on the Viggen, same thing.

I will say that my dad had a set on his Mercedes S500 a year or two back and he said that they wore out quick and got noisy when they wore out... Then again that's a MUCH larger car than any of our Saabs. He's also a more agressive driver so maybe that's why they wore so quickly.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Just got the tires on my 2003 9-3 Convertible rotated.
Noise makes me think it's the tires or something else.
The owners manual says the good tires should be in the rear.?
Better stability?? OK, maybe but I thought I would get better traction in the snow with the better tires up front.

I will rotate them back tomorrow and see if the noise goes away.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik3 View Post
Just got the tires on my 2003 9-3 Convertible rotated.
Noise makes me think it's the tires or something else.
The owners manual says the good tires should be in the rear.?
Better stability?? OK, maybe but I thought I would get better traction in the snow with the better tires up front.

I will rotate them back tomorrow and see if the noise goes away.
Tire shops always make you put new tires on the back if you just buy a pair. The reasoning is that they don't want the back to lose traction and swing out on you. You'll definitely have more traction when starting up in snow with the better tires on the front, but people say you'll be better off while you're actually moving with better tires in the rear. It seems to start some pretty heated arguments at times, though.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
Tire shops always make you put new tires on the back if you just buy a pair. The reasoning is that they don't want the back to lose traction and swing out on you. You'll definitely have more traction when starting up in snow with the better tires on the front, but people say you'll be better off while you're actually moving with better tires in the rear. It seems to start some pretty heated arguments at times, though.
That's in line with how I've had shops explain it to me, basically they're considering oversteer vs. understeer while moving down the road, not the ability to make progress or start moving when it snows.

They figure that better tread on the rear will tend to contribute to understeering at the limit in most situations, which is easier for people to control compared to oversteer. There's truth to it and in fact it's also in line with the way OEMs calibrate their suspension/alignment settings. You'd be hard-pressed to find a modern car with suspension tuned from the OEM to favor anything other than understeer, probably the closest would be "balanced" or "neutral" in something like an EVO or WRX.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 01-20-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
gm

The evo and wrx are also under steering machines which is how most awd vehicles are setup

I would say the most neutral cars would be mid/rear engine cars and also the rwd beemers etc

When I had a local shop swap my snow tires in my car we chatted about where to put the better tires and we all agreed better tires up front. Stated rears are just along for the ride

My take is for liability reasons the chain tire shops put the better tires in the back.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I have goodyear eagle gts and seems to enjoy them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #19

Vigvert w/eagle gt's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I have goodyear eagle gts and seems to enjoy them.
^^^^^Ditto^^^^^

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in