Automatic Transmission Problem - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
TSLMember

Automatic Transmission Problem

I've got a '97 900 Turbo with an automatic transmission. Today, on the way home from work after driving for about 30 minutes, I stopped at a stoplight and when I pulled away from the light the transmission slipped from Drive to Neutral and the engine revved up. The lever in the cabin had not physically move. I quickly changed the lever to Neutral and back to Drive. Whereupon, as soon as I pushed on the accelerator the transmission slipped to neutral again. I had to lock the tranny into 3rd gear to keep it from slipping and get it home. Any ideas?

I checked the fluid level and it is on the low side, but not below the minimum line. No warning lights came on. I changed all the tranny fluid about 4 months ago and there didn't seem to be any metal shavings in the pan or other signs of a problem. The only other thing, is there is a vacuum-looking hose that comes off the top of the tranny that is broken, but from the looks of it that hose has been brittle and broken for a while and I've had no previous issues.

Help please!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Sounds like the linkage is maybe loose. I think that hose is just a breather, but I could be wrong. What color was the fluid?

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
TSLMember

OK. I did a little more testing this morning and it DOES physically slip the gear selector forward from Drive to Neutral. It happens under moderate to hard acceleration whether rolling or stopped. You're probably right that sounds like a loose linkage, I'll have a look this weekend.

Thanks for the tip on the hose. Any idea what the end not connect to the transmission is supposed to connect to? When I spotted it the end at the transmission was broken and other end wasn't connected to anything. And, I couldn't spot a potential spot to connect it...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
TSLMember

Another update: I followed the Haynes guide procedure for adjusting the selector cable. Also, below the transmission range switch is a nut that keeps the post in place that the range switch fits on. I found it to be loose so that when the range switch was in drive there was some up and down play to the post. I re-tensioned that as well. But I'm still experiencing the problem. Any help??
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #5

Check all you're motor mounts. Do you feel any clunks when under accel or braking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
TSLMember

There is a clunk on acceleration. I'll check the mounts. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #7

I used to have a clunk on acceleration, and it was due to my trans mount being blown. Its on the drivers side, and you'll have to pull the plastic covers underneath and in the front of the wheel well to get at it. Fairly easy to change out, or to see if its broken. Mine was completely split.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
TSLMember

Great to know. I checked the rear engine mount where it bolts to the center of the subframe this morning and it seemed to be fine, no visible cracks, tears, or signs that the hydraulic fluid had leaked out. I'll pull the wheel liners this evening and see about the mounts on both the driver's and passenger's sides.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
TSLMember

Looks like it was the mount under the transmission on the driver's side that had failed. Rubber was torn. The mount on the passenger's side, under the flywheel looked aged with the rubber showing cracks, so I'm going to replace that one as well. The one at the back looks fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1997 saab 900, automatic transmission, slipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in