NG900 Oil Leak - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

NG900 Oil Leak

I have been leaking oil for the past month slowly from the front passenger side of my engine. I assumed it was coming from the connect between the oil filter housing and the tubing for the oil cooler.

Today I got a chance to take the plastic shields off and sure enough the oil is seeping out of the connections on the oil filter housing.

I already have gone ahead and bought a universal oil cooler with all the fittings and sandwich plate. I'm all set to install it but I have one question which is how to plug the holes in the oil cooler housing? Has anyone done this before?

I have searched and cant find the information in any other threads. Thank you in advance for the help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I would see if you can find a threaded adapter for the filter housing and tap off of that vs using a sandwich plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
I would see if you can find a threaded adapter for the filter housing and tap off of that vs using a sandwich plate.
That would work but trying to tap that hole in such a cramped spot is asking for trouble. Also making sure no shavings got into the oil would be hard. Is that inner hole smooth on the inside or is it threaded already would be my first question?

I was hoping it was so I could buy a bolt to block it, but if its the right thread I might be able to get an AN fitting on it and run new lines...

Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
Elder

You've got a ng900, so it should be the threaded kind.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Glad to hear its probably threaded. In that case I will look into your idea of running it right off of the housing. Thanks for the help and I will try and take more pics when I fix it.

Its probably a long shot but any idea on thread type? When I take it out I can check but if I know ahead of time I can order the right AN fitting.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #6

I looked on saab central for the possible thread size and found it to be m20x1.5 but no one could confirm. I'll be testing it but if anyone could confirm that would be even better.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Elder

Why not have new factory hoses Made. I'm sure your factory Oil cooler was probably designed by someone with a PHD. Do you really want to screw with it?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #8

It looks like the hoses failed not necessarily the cooler. Its also 16 year old technology I'm replacing with racing parts so I'm not worrying about it.

Its a learning experience. An oil cooler is a very simple design too and I doubt someone with a PHD designed it. A student with basic thermals and fluids could design a system just like it. You never know it may have been an Engineering intern, like myself, who designed it as a project back in 95.

I'm also not screwing with it. I'm fixing and improving it.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
Why not have new factory hoses Made. I'm sure your factory Oil cooler was probably designed by someone with a PHD. Do you really want to screw with it?
I do not think saabkid37 designed this part.
for your repair needs
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Elder

I think you'll probably end up replacing the cooler too. Usually the hoses are near impossible to remove from the cooler without breaking it. Search around here for the thread size...I remember seeing it a few years ago when I had to replace mine.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
I think you'll probably end up replacing the cooler too. Usually the hoses are near impossible to remove from the cooler without breaking it. Search around here for the thread size...I remember seeing it a few years ago when I had to replace mine.
I will do more searching. I had luck finding a few other things so its worth a shot...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #12

Found it!

https://www.saablink.net/forum/wanted-items/54885.htm

m20x1.5 is correct and I'll be ordering the An fittings from below:

cxracing.com: Flare Fitting AN4~AN6-M10~M20x1.5

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #13

Update:

Took the car apart this past weekend and fixed the leak. But when I took the tubes out of the housing they were smooth holes not threaded. I'm guessing the 9-3 is threaded while the NG900 isnt.

Instead of using AN fittings on the housing I used the old tubes with new O-rings which worked well. The leak is gone and I'll keep tabs on it but it looks like a good fix for now.

I want to look into a 9-3 housing and either thread the holes or use AN fittings.

Couple pics:

View of housing to lines:

Font View during Install:

Front View Fully installed:

Overall it wasn't a terribly challenging install and I'm glad I did it.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #14

sweet nice fix.

does it have a/c?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
sweet nice fix.

does it have a/c?
AC was taken out to make more room, but AC would have fit fine with the oil cooler and IC. Not having it does at another inch or so of clearance though.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
TSLMember

Bumpity. I have a substantial oil leak that has developed, It looks to be from the oil cooler lines or the oil filter housing, Either way my questions is did you ever get around to seeing if the the 9-3 had the threaded or smooth? Just want to be able to get everything ordered at once.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
TSLMember

Nevermind I got under the car today and can see they aren't threaded. It doesn't look too hard to Remove the adapter housing and just tap the fittings and run some -an lines to an external cooler

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in