DIC failed... again. Sources??? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
TSLMember

DIC failed... again. Sources???

Hello all... I've recently been working on my cousin's '99 9-3, but it seems his bad luck has rubbed off on me (and my car, a 2000 9-3 SE HOT).

My CEL is back on. The first time it resolved itself (CEL actually went off ON IT'S OWN! How often does that happen with SAABs?). I checked the stored code after CEL flashed: 1334

Then, today after about 40 miles of driving, CEL is back. Drove 40 more miles back home, checked codes: 1312 and 1334 (pretty much confirming the failure of my DIC).

YES - I have the proper NGK plugs installed (BCPR7ES-11 which I gapped @ 0.036"), which I replaced after the first CEL flash, so it won't simply be an issue of replacing plugs (I was hoping).

My point? Unless somebody makes a compelling argument otherwise, it's the DIC...

I'm looking for advice/testimonials about where to buy the DIC and who offers the best product/warranty for a reasonable price. I REALLY don't want to spend $400-ish at the stealer... so any suggestions anybody?

Really appreciate it...

Last edited by SwedeSpeed93; 04-29-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: forgot info...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

$345 from The SAAB Site: http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG900ignition.htm

One ending on eBay in less than 6 hours, $80 and 0 bids: SAAB 900 9000 9-3 9-5 Red Direct Ignition Coil Cassette | eBay

$145 shipped by Goldwing SAAB on eBay: SAAB 2000-2002 9.3 DIRECT IGNITION CASSETTE FREE SHIP | eBay

Many more DICs for sale on eBay: saab ignition cassette | eBay

Other than that, prowl the SAAB internet community for a cheap one, there are always people selling them.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
TSLMember

Snabb SAAB,

Thanks! Yeah, I've been browsing eBay. I think this time, though, I'm going for a new DIC - unfortunately, that means spending more $$$. My last one was a used eBay buy for $80 and lasted 7 months... (shrug) Not bad... I guess if you figure I replace it q 7-8 months, that means I'll get 2 years of wear for $240. But the new one may last 4 years, in which case THAT'S a better deal.

What to do, what to do...

Anyhow, really appreciate the prompt response/help/suggestions. I'll post what I find and decide on. Have a fine weekend!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Elder

Instead of bashing the Dealerships mabey ask for a discount! I have them in stock. Discount discontinued!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

^ If any dealerships are willing to discount and match prices they should advertise, especially on enthusiast sites (like this one). Haven't seen much of that here, on a Subaru forum I frequest there are lots of dealers online that will match price and give discounts to forum members.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Elder

there's been a 10% discount for all TSL members since I joined. The moderators never put it up anywhere.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
there's been a 10% discount for all TSL members since I joined. The moderators never put it up anywhere.
Nice to know! Should put that on your signature.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
TSLMember

Ausgezeichnet...

Hey guys...

Whoa! I never would have expected the dealer to have a discount (honestly - I'm not being sarcastic, there). I guess BMW has it for CCA members, so why not Saab?

SO... with the discounted price at the dealer (assuming 10%), what would the cost of a new DIC be, out the door?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
TSLMember

@ Moonracer...

Also, since it sounds like you work at a dealer and have a good knowledge about Saab workings, what is their warranty on a new DIC? I ask, because all DICs have been plagued with problems (I know that there has even been a recall). For that reason alone might the warranty be extended? If they have a warranty that is LONGER than the standard 12-mos (all the new units online are only 1 year), I'd be much more likely to go the dealer route... let me know, when you have a chance...

This is good stuff for everybody to know, since it is such a common failure.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #10
Elder

The OEM saab ones have a 1 year warranty. Yes they were a high failure rate item, but the last few years the quality has increased greatly. One of the biggest things that we've seen to cause early failure is to not replace your spark plugs often enough. We have been tracking this for many years and noticed that most all of the failures will be on cars that have gone MANY miles over on their plug changes at one time in their life. We also have 91-92 9000's with the original DI in them on the road. I'm not saying this is the only reason they fail because we have seen them fail on cars with as low as 16 miles on them too. But this is VERY rare.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
TSLMember

Moonracer... Thanks!

That is really good to know. By the time that you and Snabb SAAB had posted, I'd already gambled on a used unit and made the purchase. But IF this one goes bad (I'm not going to say when, because as you said, not all fail - and I want to be optimistic), I'll go the dealer route to get a brand-new unit.

Again, really appreciate the info, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dic, p1312, p1334, warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in